Velocity Reviews

-   -   Blocking floating ads (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t299191-blocking-floating-ads.html)

FoxWolfie Galen 07-03-2006 07:43 AM

Blocking floating ads

How can I block floating ads, such as what appears on this eBay item page?

http://cgi.ebay.com/POOH-BEAR-Denim-...QQcmdZViewItem

I am using Firefox 1.5.x and AdBlock Plus 0.7. I figured out how to block
the floating image, by simply putting that name into AdBlock. I cannot
block the floating text that is under the image. I find these adds to be
extremely distracting. I would prefer a way to block all such adds with one
filter if that is possible. I am no willing to leave javascript off - which
does block them. Leaving javascript off leaves eBay very difficult to use
in other areas though. Any solution would have to allow the still images of
the items I'd be looking at to get through, but block the floating junk.
--
Floating

Ralph Fox 07-03-2006 10:39 AM

Re: Blocking floating ads

On Mon, 03 Jul 2006 03:43:36 -0400, in message <r4iha21f7rnjs8gbq5ntdvlq1bb3qd7akt@4ax.com>,
FoxWolfie Galen wrote:

> How can I block floating ads, such as what appears on this eBay item page?
>
> http://cgi.ebay.com/POOH-BEAR-Denim-...QQcmdZViewItem

The following worked on that page, here...

Create a bookmarklet with the following 'Location' property
javascript:{a=document.getElementById("point1");if (a){a.style.display="none";};n=top.frames.length;i f(n){for(i=0;i<n;++i){a=top.frames[i].document.getElementById("point1");if(a){a.style.d isplay="none";}}};void(0);}
After that page loads, use this bookmarklet on that page.

--
Cheers,
Ralph

"Curiosity skilled the cat."

Ralph Fox 07-03-2006 10:39 AM

Re: Blocking floating ads

FoxWolfie Galen 07-03-2006 01:14 PM

Re: Blocking floating ads

On Mon, 03 Jul 2006 10:39:42 +0000, Ralph Fox <-@-.invalid> wrote:

> FoxWolfie Galen wrote:

> > How can I block floating ads, such as what appears on this eBay item page?

> http://cgi.ebay.com/POOH-BEAR-Denim-...QQcmdZViewItem

> The following worked on that page, here...

> Create a bookmarklet with the following 'Location' property
> javascript:{a=document.getElementById("point1");if (a){a.style.display="none";};n=top.frames.length;i f(n){for(i=0;i<n;++i){a=top.frames[i].document.getElementById("point1");if(a){a.style.d isplay="none";}}};void(0);}
> After that page loads, use this bookmarklet on that page.

Thanks. It works perfectly.

I looked at the source for the page and what you just sent. This is still
something that I'm only on the edge of understanding. I figured out enough
to know that the "point1" element was to blame, but had no idea how to turn
it off.

It would be really nice to come up with a single script that could stop all
or most of these things, and have it run automatically. Usercontent.css
comes to mind. Making the code generic enough to handle all the floater ads
and stuff would be perfect, as long as it never blocked static content.
Another thing I'd love to block for good are "mouse followers". I don't
have an example of one at the moment, but they generally come in the form
of moving shapes, letters or words that are magnetically attracted to the
location of the mouse pointer. It the mouse is moved very fast, the
individual letters of a word will be dispersed, only to be sucked back into
order near the mouse pointer. I don't want a fireworks following my mouse.
This kind of stuff might be ok on a 3ghz Pentium 4, but it's not very
appreciated by the many people who are still running on a Pentium 2 or
slower!

The best solution of all would be for Firefox to add a couple new
checkboxes to the advanced options under javascript. I'm sure this is
easier wished for than done though. They could be something like:

[ ] Allow scripts to follow the mouse
[ ] Allow scripts to animate or move screen objects

I'd leave both of those unchecked. I already have all of the current
checkboxes unchecked.
--
FoxWolfie

FoxWolfie Galen 07-03-2006 01:14 PM

Re: Blocking floating ads

Ralph Fox 07-10-2006 09:52 AM

Re: Blocking floating ads

On Sun, 09 Jul 2006 08:08:15 +0100, in message <tqa1b21o32ps3kbim4t731kib341ekfkfc@4ax.com>,
Zygon Curry wrote:

> On Mon, 03 Jul 2006 10:39:42 +0000, Ralph Fox <-@-.invalid> wrote:
>
> > Create a bookmarklet with the following 'Location' property
> > javascript:{a=document.getElementById("point1");if (a){a.style.display="none";};n=top.frames.length;i f(n){for(i=0;i<n;++i){a=top.frames[i].document.getElementById("point1");if(a){a.style.d isplay="none";}}};void(0);}
> > After that page loads, use this bookmarklet on that page.

> Can you explain in a bit more detail. You lost me at Bookmarklet.
> Thanks :)

A bookmarklet is bookmark which contains a small javascript
program instead of a link to a web page. Clicking on the
bookmark runs the small javascript program.

Bookmarklets exist for many things, such as changing the
appearance of the web page which you are viewing.

Further reading

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bookmarklet
http://www.bookmarklets.com/about/

There are many free bookmarklets available on the web.
Some bookmarklet sites

http://www.squarefree.com/bookmarklets/
http://www.bookmarklets.com/tools/categor.html
http://www.yourhtmlsource.com/access...ml#LETSSEETHEM

[BTW, your message is missing the references header and does not thread properly.]

--
Cheers
Ralph Fox

Ralph Fox 07-10-2006 09:52 AM

Re: Blocking floating ads

Splibbilla 07-11-2006 05:58 AM

Re: Blocking floating ads

FoxWolfie Galen <foxwolfie@adelphia.net> in

> On Mon, 03 Jul 2006 10:39:42 +0000, Ralph Fox <-@-.invalid> wrote:

snip

tryout the standard grypen set proxomitron at castlecops.
and get the hosts file from mvps

a whole lot of these annoyances will just disappear or never show up.

--
Bloat Happens

Splibbilla 07-11-2006 05:58 AM

Re: Blocking floating ads

Zygon Curry 07-11-2006 09:53 PM

Re: Blocking floating ads

On Mon, 10 Jul 2006 09:52:24 +0000, Ralph Fox <-@-.invalid> wrote:

>A bookmarklet is bookmark which contains a small javascript
>program instead of a link to a web page. Clicking on the
>bookmark runs the small javascript program.
>
>Bookmarklets exist for many things, such as changing the
>appearance of the web page which you are viewing.
>

>Further reading
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bookmarklet
> http://www.bookmarklets.com/about/
>
>There are many free bookmarklets available on the web.
>Some bookmarklet sites
>
> http://www.squarefree.com/bookmarklets/
> http://www.bookmarklets.com/tools/categor.html
> http://www.yourhtmlsource.com/access...ml#LETSSEETHEM

Thanks to both of you for the help and explainations.

>[BTW, your message is missing the references header and does not thread properly.]

There were problems posting original message. I suspect that may have
had something to do with it.