Velocity Reviews

-   -   Kentrox/Cisco/Subrate DS3 problems.... (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t29907-kentrox-cisco-subrate-ds3-problems.html)

Scooby 11-01-2003 12:39 PM

Kentrox/Cisco/Subrate DS3 problems....

I've got a Subrate DS3 (Frame Relay) that has been in place and working
great for years. Currently, there is a Kentrox IDSU with a Nortel ASN
router - never had any problems. I'm trying to swap out that ASN with a
Cisco 3725. No matter what I do, I can not get lmi. The router and the
Kentrox seem to be talking well - I can run a loop, all indicator lights are
on like they should be on both the kentrox and the cisco, the router gets
the clock rate from the isdu (verified by show controller).

So, I have spent hours on the phone with Cisco TAC, I've had a local Cisco
engineer take the router back to the lab and verify the router and hssi card
by hooking back to back with another router. No luck whatsoever.

Does any one else out there have a Kentrox and Cisco set up with a hssi
connection and a subrate ds3 out there? Any hints? Anyone out there have a
Cisco/hssi/subrate ds3 with any other dsu? What brand/model are you using?

I'm borderline just going to get the internal ds3 card, but wanted to see
first if there's any other souls out there that have conquered my demons.

Thanks,

Jim

<yea, remove the usual spam stuff to email me>

Tim Thorne 11-02-2003 06:22 PM

Re: Kentrox/Cisco/Subrate DS3 problems....

"Scooby" <mmscooby1@removeme.earthlink.net> wrote:

>I've got a Subrate DS3 (Frame Relay) that has been in place and working
>great for years. Currently, there is a Kentrox IDSU with a Nortel ASN
>router - never had any problems. I'm trying to swap out that ASN with a
>Cisco 3725. No matter what I do, I can not get lmi.

Can you post your config? What's on the other end of the cct? Using
the right frame relay encapsulation? Is the DSU bandwidth replicated
on the hssi interface?

Tim

Scooby 11-02-2003 07:55 PM

"Tim Thorne" <skippthebushkangaroo@bigfoot.com> wrote in message
> "Scooby" <mmscooby1@removeme.earthlink.net> wrote:
>
> >I've got a Subrate DS3 (Frame Relay) that has been in place and working
> >great for years. Currently, there is a Kentrox IDSU with a Nortel ASN
> >router - never had any problems. I'm trying to swap out that ASN with a
> >Cisco 3725. No matter what I do, I can not get lmi.

> Can you post your config? What's on the other end of the cct? Using
> the right frame relay encapsulation? Is the DSU bandwidth replicated
> on the hssi interface?
>
> Tim

This is to a Frame-Relay network. All the sites on the other side are full
or frac T1. The correct setting is Ansi LMI and IETF encap - I have tried
every combination available just for kicks. Most of the other sites are
Nortel, but some are Cisco w/T1 and they work fine with those settings. It
is the subrate DS3 that is having a problem. The Kentrox sees the network
just fine. It does pass the clock on to the Cisco - almost. The circuit is
12Mb and is set to 12000000 on the Kentrox. When doing a show controller on
cisco. the clock shows something like 11995xxx?? Not sure exactly, but it
does have something just a little less than the 12Mb. If I do a clock rate
command on the hssi interface, it shows only a handfull of speeds that are
supported by the hardware - and 12Mb is not one of them. The closest is
12960000. I could try setting the Kentrox to that, but it wants settings in
..5 increments - 12.0, 12.5, 13.0, etc... So, there is no number to match
this on.

There is an interesting article on Kentrox's site that addresses a similar
problem. But, it refers to an adapter that I don't have, and the commands
are not available to me.
http://www.kentrox.com/support/KB/wr...ublic&f=IDSU-0
0007.htm

Anyway, here is the config with all sensitive info either removed or xxxx
out.

Current configuration : 4545 bytes
!
version 12.3
service timestamps debug datetime msec
service timestamps log datetime msec
service password-encryption
!
hostname xxxxxxx
!
boot-start-marker
boot-end-marker
!
logging buffered 51200 warnings
enable secret 5 xxxxxxx
!
username xxx privilege 15 password 7 xxxxxxx
clock timezone est -5
no aaa new-model
ip subnet-zero
!
!
ip cef
no ip domain lookup
ip domain name xxxxxxx
!
ip audit notify log
ip audit po max-events 100
ip ssh authentication-retries 4
no ftp-server write-enable
!
!
!
no voice hpi capture buffer
no voice hpi capture destination
!
!
!
!
!
interface FastEthernet0/0
ip address x.x.x.x x.x.x.x
no ip redirects
duplex auto
speed auto
standby 1 ip x.x.x.x
standby 1 preempt
standby 2 ip x.x.x.x
standby 2 priority 50
!
interface FastEthernet0/1
ip address x.x.x.x x.x.x.x
no ip redirects
duplex auto
speed auto
!
interface Hssi1/0
mtu 1500
no ip address
encapsulation frame-relay IETF
serial restart-delay 0
invert data
frame-relay lmi-type ansi
!
interface Hssi1/0.6 point-to-point
ip address x.x.x.x x.x.x.x
frame-relay interface-dlci xxx IETF
!
interface Hssi1/0.8 point-to-point
ip address x.x.x.x x.x.x.x
frame-relay interface-dlci xxx IETF
!
interface Hssi1/0.9 point-to-point
ip address x.x.x.x x.x.x.x
frame-relay interface-dlci xxx IETF
!
interface Hssi1/0.12 point-to-point
ip address x.x.x.x x.x.x.x
frame-relay interface-dlci xxx IETF
!
interface Hssi1/0.20 point-to-point
ip address x.x.x.x x.x.x.x
frame-relay interface-dlci xxx IETF
!
interface Hssi1/0.22 point-to-point
ip address x.x.x.x x.x.x.x
frame-relay interface-dlci xxx IETF
!
interface Hssi1/0.29 point-to-point
ip address x.x.x.x x.x.x.x
frame-relay interface-dlci xxx IETF
!
interface Hssi1/0.34 point-to-point
ip address x.x.x.x x.x.x.x
frame-relay interface-dlci xxx IETF
!
interface Hssi1/0.36 point-to-point
ip address x.x.x.x x.x.x.x
frame-relay interface-dlci xxx
!
interface Hssi1/0.40 point-to-point
ip address x.x.x.x x.x.x.x
frame-relay interface-dlci xxx IETF
!
interface Hssi1/0.125 point-to-point
ip address x.x.x.x x.x.x.x
frame-relay interface-dlci xxx IETF
!
interface Hssi1/0.251 point-to-point
ip address x.x.x.x x.x.x.x
frame-relay interface-dlci xxx IETF
!
router eigrp 100
redistribute static
redistribute rip
passive-interface FastEthernet0/1
network x.x.x.x x.x.x.x
network x.x.x.x x.x.x.x
no auto-summary
!
router rip
version 2
passive-interface FastEthernet0/0
passive-interface FastEthernet0/1
network x.x.x.x x.x.x.x
network x.x.x.x x.x.x.x
network x.x.x.x x.x.x.x
!
ip http server
ip http authentication local
ip http secure-server
ip classless
!
dial-peer cor custom
!
line con 0
logging synchronous
login local
transport preferred all
transport output all
line aux 0
login local
transport preferred all
transport output all
line vty 0 4
privilege level 15
login local
transport preferred all
transport input telnet ssh
transport output all
line vty 5 15
privilege level 15
login local
transport preferred all
transport input telnet ssh
transport output all
!
!
end

Tim Thorne 11-02-2003 08:41 PM

Re: Kentrox/Cisco/Subrate DS3 problems....

"Scooby" <mmscooby1@removeme.earthlink.net> wrote:

>"Tim Thorne" <skippthebushkangaroo@bigfoot.com> wrote in message
>> "Scooby" <mmscooby1@removeme.earthlink.net> wrote:
>>
>> >I've got a Subrate DS3 (Frame Relay) that has been in place and working
>> >great for years. Currently, there is a Kentrox IDSU with a Nortel ASN
>> >router - never had any problems. I'm trying to swap out that ASN with a
>> >Cisco 3725. No matter what I do, I can not get lmi.

>> Can you post your config? What's on the other end of the cct? Using
>> the right frame relay encapsulation? Is the DSU bandwidth replicated
>> on the hssi interface?

>This is to a Frame-Relay network. All the sites on the other side are full
>or frac T1. The correct setting is Ansi LMI and IETF encap - I have tried
>every combination available just for kicks.

It sounds like you've covered every angle. Its not something silly
like having to specify "frame-relay switching" in the global config?
Did the local engineer b2b the 3725 and verify frame relay was running
across it? What does your hssi interface look like when running the
cct? Any rising errors or carrier transitions? Getting any keepalive
packets at all from the other routers?

Tim