Velocity Reviews

-   -   Optimize internet performance (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t298937-optimize-internet-performance.html)

=?Utf-8?B?YW5nbGVmYW45OQ==?= 06-22-2006 11:39 AM

Optimize internet performance

I am using wireless internet, and for some reason, when I downloaded a 400 mb
file from the net, my internet connection has been really slow. I have a 5
bar connection, and I've already rebooted the computer, the router, and the
modem. How do I optimize my performance to make it faster?

Kerry Brown 06-22-2006 12:51 PM

Re: Optimize internet performance

anglefan99 wrote:
> I am using wireless internet, and for some reason, when I downloaded
> a 400 mb file from the net, my internet connection has been really
> slow. I have a 5 bar connection, and I've already rebooted the
> computer, the router, and the modem. How do I optimize my performance
> to make it faster?

Are all downloads slow or just that one? What type of broadband do you use?
There are many things that affect Internet speed. The most likely
explanation is the server you were downloading from was slow for some
reason.

--
Kerry
MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

=?Utf-8?B?YW5nbGVmYW45OQ==?= 06-22-2006 01:24 PM

"Kerry Brown" wrote:

> anglefan99 wrote:
> > I am using wireless internet, and for some reason, when I downloaded
> > a 400 mb file from the net, my internet connection has been really
> > slow. I have a 5 bar connection, and I've already rebooted the
> > computer, the router, and the modem. How do I optimize my performance
> > to make it faster?

> Are all downloads slow or just that one? What type of broadband do you use?
> There are many things that affect Internet speed. The most likely
> explanation is the server you were downloading from was slow for some
> reason.
>
> --
> Kerry
> MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

i have cox internet, and it was working really good until I downloaded that
file. now it takes more than 30 seconds to open up the google home page. i
disabled the built in wireless adapter in my laptop, and used a usb based one
and now it is really fast. i guess there is something wrong with the adapter.

Kerry Brown 06-22-2006 10:11 PM

anglefan99 wrote:
> "Kerry Brown" wrote:
>
>> anglefan99 wrote:
>>> I am using wireless internet, and for some reason, when I downloaded
>>> a 400 mb file from the net, my internet connection has been really
>>> slow. I have a 5 bar connection, and I've already rebooted the
>>> computer, the router, and the modem. How do I optimize my
>>> performance to make it faster?

>> Are all downloads slow or just that one? What type of broadband do
>> you use? There are many things that affect Internet speed. The most
>> likely explanation is the server you were downloading from was slow
>> for some reason.
>>
>> --
>> Kerry
>> MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User
>>

> i have cox internet, and it was working really good until I
> downloaded that file. now it takes more than 30 seconds to open up
> the google home page. i disabled the built in wireless adapter in my
> laptop, and used a usb based one and now it is really fast. i guess
> there is something wrong with the adapter.

Could be. It could also be a setting. Did you change anything or install any
software?

--
Kerry
MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

=?Utf-8?B?YW5nbGVmYW45OQ==?= 06-23-2006 03:28 AM

"Kerry Brown" wrote:

> anglefan99 wrote:

> >> Are all downloads slow or just that one? What type of broadband do
> >> you use? There are many things that affect Internet speed. The most
> >> likely explanation is the server you were downloading from was slow
> >> for some reason.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Kerry
> >> MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User
> >>

> > i have cox internet, and it was working really good until I
> > downloaded that file. now it takes more than 30 seconds to open up
> > the google home page. i disabled the built in wireless adapter in my
> > laptop, and used a usb based one and now it is really fast. i guess
> > there is something wrong with the adapter.

> Could be. It could also be a setting. Did you change anything or install any
> software?
>
> --
> Kerry
> MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

no, i haven't downloaded or installed any software that would conflict with
my adapter.

Kerry Brown 06-23-2006 04:47 AM

anglefan99 wrote:
> "Kerry Brown" wrote:
>
>> anglefan99 wrote:

>>> i have cox internet, and it was working really good until I
>>> downloaded that file. now it takes more than 30 seconds to open up
>>> the google home page. i disabled the built in wireless adapter in my
>>> laptop, and used a usb based one and now it is really fast. i guess
>>> there is something wrong with the adapter.

>> Could be. It could also be a setting. Did you change anything or
>> install any software?
>>
>> --
>> Kerry
>> MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User
>>

> no, i haven't downloaded or installed any software that would
> conflict with my adapter.

It's probably the adapter but it never hurts to consider other causes.

--
Kerry
MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

Jack \(MVP-Networking\). 06-23-2006 04:08 PM

Re: Optimize internet performance

Hi
May be this can Help, http://www.ezlan.net/Internet_Speed.html
Jack (MVP-Networking).