Velocity Reviews

-   -   Emacs vhdl-mode question (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t298818-emacs-vhdl-mode-question.html)

jimwu88NOOOSPAM@yahoo.com 06-29-2006 01:05 PM

Emacs vhdl-mode question

I'm using emacs vhdl-mode. I want auto-indentation every time I hit tab
key regardless where the cursor is in the current line. But by default,
vhdl-mode does word auto-complete if the cursor in the middle of a
word. What's easiest way to turn off the word auto-complete and always
use auto-indentation for tab key?

Thanks,
Jim

Mike Treseler 06-29-2006 01:44 PM

Re: Emacs vhdl-mode question

jimwu88NOOOSPAM@yahoo.com wrote:
> I'm using emacs vhdl-mode. I want auto-indentation every time I hit tab
> key regardless where the cursor is in the current line. But by default,
> vhdl-mode does word auto-complete if the cursor in the middle of a
> word. What's easiest way to turn off the word auto-complete and always
> use auto-indentation for tab key?

I use [space][tab] or [esc][tab] to
end a word and force a tab stop.

I use the VHDL,beautify-buffer command
to line everything up when I done with
a screen.

I find auto-completion to be very useful
and wouldn't suggest rebinding the tab key.

-- Mike Treseler

Andy Peters 06-29-2006 04:41 PM

Re: Emacs vhdl-mode question

jimwu88NOOOSPAM@yahoo.com wrote:
> I'm using emacs vhdl-mode. I want auto-indentation every time I hit tab
> key regardless where the cursor is in the current line. But by default,
> vhdl-mode does word auto-complete if the cursor in the middle of a
> word.

Autocomplete is one of the main reasons I use emacs and the VHDL mode

-a

Martin Thompson 06-30-2006 09:53 AM

Re: Emacs vhdl-mode question

"jimwu88NOOOSPAM@yahoo.com" <jimwu88NOOOSPAM@yahoo.com> writes:

> I'm using emacs vhdl-mode. I want auto-indentation every time I hit tab
> key regardless where the cursor is in the current line. But by default,
> vhdl-mode does word auto-complete if the cursor in the middle of a
> word. What's easiest way to turn off the word auto-complete and always
> use auto-indentation for tab key?

I find the autocomplete to be invaluable - so much so that I 've been
meaning to take it's functionality and apply it to the other modes I
use!

I just prod C-c C-b to beautify the buffer every so often to tidy up
what I've typed. Not that it needs much as the auto-indent engine
seems to do the right thing most of the time anyway.

One note: Buffer beautifying doesn't play nicely with folding mode
though - you have to turn folding mode off, or open all the folds
before beautifying. Which is a shame as I use folding-mode a lot to
make my top-levels a bit easier to navigate!

Cheers,
Martin

--
martin.j.thompson@trw.com
http://www.trw.com/conekt

Reto Zimmermann 06-30-2006 03:54 PM

Re: Emacs vhdl-mode question

jimwu88NOOOSPAM@yahoo.com wrote:

> I'm using emacs vhdl-mode. I want auto-indentation every time I hit tab
> key regardless where the cursor is in the current line. But by default,
> vhdl-mode does word auto-complete if the cursor in the middle of a
> word. What's easiest way to turn off the word auto-complete and always
> use auto-indentation for tab key?

And if Jim is still not convinced to use the intelligent tab, there is a
customization option to turn it off, accessible from the menu

VHDL -> Options -> Miscellaneous -> Use Intelligent Tab

Reto

Mike Treseler 06-30-2006 05:23 PM

Re: Emacs vhdl-mode question