Velocity Reviews

-   -   7920 Cordless Phone loses nettwork connection (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t298105-7920-cordless-phone-loses-nettwork-connection.html)

Ciscohater 06-09-2006 03:06 PM

7920 Cordless Phone loses nettwork connection

I have 2 Cisco 7920 phones and they both disconnect from wireless after
2-5 minutes. The only way to get it to connect again is turn phone on
and off and then the cycle starts again. I have set the phones to
factory default, reset the wep and ssid and rebooted the cisco aeronet
AP's.

Any idea.

=?iso-8859-1?q?BradReese.Com=AE_-_Leverage_Your_Cisco_Network?= 06-10-2006 04:41 AM

Re: 7920 Cordless Phone loses nettwork connection

Ensure that Temporal Key Integrity Protocol ( TKIP ) and Message
Integrity Check ( MIC ) ( or Cisco KIP and Cisco MIC ) are not enabled
for the voice VLAN Service Set Identifier ( SSID ) on the AP.

These features are not supported on the Cisco 7920 wireless IP phone.

A common AP configuration error concerns Address Resolution Protocol (
ARP ) caching.

The phones expect this option to be enabled on the AP, but it is
disabled by default on the AP.

For optimal performance, Cisco recommends enabling ARP caching on the
AP, especially when using Wi-Fi devices capable of power management.

If you use Cisco Aironet cards, ARP caching is enabled by default, but
you should ensure that this setting has not been changed by any central
client management groups.

To configure ARP caching on the AP, select Services > ARP Caching.
Issue the "dot11 arp-cache" command for arp-caching in global
configuration mode.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/...html#wp2574144

Note: Cisco IOS is required on voice APs because VxWorks no longer add
new features that are required for successful voice deployments, such
as ARP caching.

Hope this helps.

Brad Reese
BradReese.Com - Cisco Network Engineer Directory
http://www.bradreese.com/network-engineer-directory.htm
1293 Hendersonville Road, Suite 17
Asheville, North Carolina USA 28803
USA & Canada: 877-549-2680
International: 828-277-7272
Fax: 775-254-3558
AIM: R2MGrant
Website: http://www.bradreese.com/contact-us.htm

Ciscohater 06-15-2006 02:14 PM

Re: 7920 Cordless Phone loses nettwork connection

I followed those ideas and still have no luck. It just says callmanager
down after using the phone for a few minutes. Only way to get it to
connect is to power the phone off and then on.

www.BradReese.Com 06-15-2006 02:58 PM

Re: 7920 Cordless Phone loses nettwork connection

You may wish to investigate Cisco Wireless IP Phone 7920 Release Notes:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/...080216273.html

as well as the book -

Troubleshooting Cisco IP Telephony:

http://www.ciscopress.com/title/1587...2-9ab5cc199d74

Further thought, under the AP Radio Advanced, you may need to set the
Ethernet Encapsulation Transform to RFC1042 because the phone can show
up as a generic client and not a CISCO client.

Sincerely,

Brad Reese
Cisco Repair

Sylvain Robitaille 06-21-2006 03:07 PM

Ciscohater wrote:

> I have 2 Cisco 7920 phones and they both disconnect from wireless
> after 2-5 minutes. The only way to get it to connect again is turn
> phone on and off and then the cycle starts again. I have set the
> phones to factory default, reset the wep and ssid and rebooted the
> cisco aeronet AP's.

Are your access points running IOS? If so, what version(s) are they
running? Check also the firmware versions on the handsets (under "phone
settings" in the menu). What we've found here is that 7920s with
version 1.x firmware don't function correctly (similar symptoms to what
you're reporting, or they never connect at all) with the newest versions
of IOS for the access points we use. We have upgraded our handsets to
firmware version 2.x (and some to 3.x for testing) and that resolved the
problem for us.

I hope this helps ...