Velocity Reviews

-   -   Good free or paid merge software that edits two similar files? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t298024-good-free-or-paid-merge-software-that-edits-two-similar-files.html)

Weng Tianxiang 06-09-2006 01:42 AM

Good free or paid merge software that edits two similar files?

Hi,
Recently I am asked to update several my projects. A lot of works has
to be made, comparing old code and new code and replace old one with
new one.

I found that WinMerge is of great value in this respect. I would like
to thank those people who developed the free software to let me use it
and dramatically to increase my job efficiency and reliability.

Thank you, WinMerge software designer.

I wonder if there is better merge software better than WinMerge, free
or paid?

If you know, please let me know.

Weng

Markus Svilans 06-09-2006 03:21 AM

Re: Good free or paid merge software that edits two similar files?

Weng Tianxiang wrote:
> Hi,
> Recently I am asked to update several my projects. A lot of works has
> to be made, comparing old code and new code and replace old one with
> new one.
>
> I found that WinMerge is of great value in this respect. I would like
> to thank those people who developed the free software to let me use it
> and dramatically to increase my job efficiency and reliability.
>
> Thank you, WinMerge software designer.
>
> I wonder if there is better merge software better than WinMerge, free
> or paid?
>
> If you know, please let me know.
>
> Weng

The merge tool that comes with TortoiseSVN is quite useful. It can show
the old and new files side by side, and colour highlight any
differences (changed lines, deleted lines, new lines, etc.). I have
found it very useful in the past.

http://tortoisesvn.tigris.org/

Regards,
Markus.

Weng Tianxiang 06-09-2006 03:48 AM

Re: Good free or paid merge software that edits two similar files?

Hi Markus,
Thank you. I will try to use the tool and compare which one is better.

Weng

grigsoft@gmail.com 06-09-2006 05:48 AM

Re: Good free or paid merge software that edits two similar files?

You can also check my Compare It! from http://www.grigsoft.com/.

Igor Green
http://www.grigsoft.com/
Compare It! + Synchronize It! - files and folders comparison never was
easier!

filox 06-09-2006 08:58 AM

Re: Good free or paid merge software that edits two similar files?

ExamDiff - it's free, but only does comparison between two files

--
You're never too young to have a Vietnam flashback
news:1149817377.330704.320240@j55g2000cwa.googlegr oups.com...

colin 06-09-2006 09:26 AM

Re: Good free or paid merge software that edits two similar files?

I thought that all apps like this tried to be better than araxis,
allthough I also use minmerge at home.

Colin

charles.elias@wpafb.af.mil 06-09-2006 09:48 AM

Weng Tianxiang wrote:
> Hi,
> Recently I am asked to update several my projects. A lot of works has
> to be made, comparing old code and new code and replace old one with
> new one.
>
> I found that WinMerge is of great value in this respect. I would like
> to thank those people who developed the free software to let me use it
> and dramatically to increase my job efficiency and reliability.
>
> Thank you, WinMerge software designer.
>
> I wonder if there is better merge software better than WinMerge, free
> or paid?
>
> If you know, please let me know.
>
> Weng

I use MultiEdit (not free) for this purpose and it is excellent. It is
a highly customisable text editor that I used extensively for my VHDL
projects.

Charles

David R Brooks 06-09-2006 09:48 AM

Weng Tianxiang wrote:
> Hi,
> Recently I am asked to update several my projects. A lot of works has
> to be made, comparing old code and new code and replace old one with
> new one.
>
> I found that WinMerge is of great value in this respect. I would like
> to thank those people who developed the free software to let me use it
> and dramatically to increase my job efficiency and reliability.
>
> Thank you, WinMerge software designer.
>
> I wonder if there is better merge software better than WinMerge, free
> or paid?
>
> If you know, please let me know.

I use Beyond Compare. It's not free, though.

Nial Stewart 06-09-2006 09:56 AM

Re: Good free or paid merge software that edits two similar files?

I have found Beyond Compare to be beyond comparison :-)

It'll let you do a diff on directories, then drill down into the
directories to see which files have changed. You can then do
a diff on the files where it highlights the the differences in
lines allowing you to jump to the next diff and copy the changes
from one file to the other. It's the best manual merge tool I've
used (although I haven't used many).

When highlighting the differences (in files and directories)
there are filters you can set up to ignore unimportant differences
(white space, empty lines etc), show only the differences etc.

You can also select the two files or directories to be compared
in windows explorer with a left mouse click to launch a comparison.

You can set up different 'sessions' of file or directory comparison
so when you launch it you can quickly select and run a comparison.
If you do a directory comaprison you can select to update one
to the other with one button, this lets you do a quick uncremental
backup of recent changes to a remote server/directory.

It's one of those utilities that would stop me moving to Linux.

Nial.

Marcus Harnisch 06-09-2006 10:57 AM

Re: Good free or paid merge software that edits two similar files?

Weng,

I guess nobody has mentioned (X)Emacs+Ediff yet. It makes only sense
with text-based files of course.

One highlight worth mentioning is the ability to take full advantage
of the editing capabilities and syntax highlighting (as well as email,
news-reading, doctor...) of (X)Emacs.

-- Marcus