Velocity Reviews

-   -   cisco 3660 RAM problem, (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t29766-cisco-3660-ram-problem.html)

hari 10-27-2003 11:02 AM

cisco 3660 RAM problem,

Hi

i have upgraded the RAM form 32MB to 128MB
i have removed the 32 MB and kept 128MB new RAM

when i switch it on back, iam getting this problem

any one can help me, it will be apprciated

System Bootstrap, Version 12.0(6r)T, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)
Copyright (c) 1999 by cisco Systems, Inc.

Bad RAM at location 0xA0000000: wrote 0xA0000000, read 0xA0000008
System Bootstrap, Version 12.0(6r)T, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)
Copyright (c) 1999 by cisco Systems, Inc.

Bad RAM at location 0xA0000000: wrote 0xA0000000, read 0xA0000008

hari

Jesper Skriver 10-27-2003 11:14 AM

Re: cisco 3660 RAM problem,

On 27 Oct 2003 03:02:58 -0800, hari wrote:
> Hi
>
> i have upgraded the RAM form 32MB to 128MB
> i have removed the 32 MB and kept 128MB new RAM
>
> when i switch it on back, iam getting this problem
>
> any one can help me, it will be apprciated

It say what the problem was - if original Cisco memory return it,
if not, you most likely didn't get memory of the correct type.

/Jesper

--
Jesper Skriver, CCIE #5456, FreeBSD committer

Erik Tamminga 10-27-2003 11:56 AM

Re: cisco 3660 RAM problem,

Are you sure you've got the correct type of memory?

I see different models of the 3600 series use different kind of memory.

Erik

news:b38cf70.0310270302.4b370ee2@posting.google.co m...

chris@nospam.com 10-28-2003 04:33 PM

Re: cisco 3660 RAM problem,

On Mon, 27 Oct 2003 12:56:52 +0100, "Erik Tamminga"
<etamminga@starren.nl> wrote:

>Are you sure you've got the correct type of memory?
>
>I see different models of the 3600 series use different kind of memory.

The 3660, uses PC100 ram. Sure you didn't get the wrong ram? You can
use non-Cisco memory, just use a good quality brand.

-Chris

balth 10-28-2003 07:44 PM

Re: cisco 3660 RAM problem,

[..]
> The 3660, uses PC100 ram. Sure you didn't get the wrong ram? You can
> use non-Cisco memory, just use a good quality brand.

Hi.

This is not so clear. I've bought RAM from sure dealer (I had bought many
modules from him) and it router not started with similiar communicates. I
was very-very amzed because it is sure-sure delaer :-) So, next day my
dealer went to me with module tester/programmer. And U know? Original
modules were exactly the same like new modules but... hehe... always is BUT
;-) Original modules were programmed in SPD with _CISCO's_sign_ - so, if U
have installed in router (3660 in my case) this one router asked "are U
cisco's module?" - "yes, I am" said module and it works.
So, we've programmed new modules with this _CISCO's_sign_ (read from old
one) and it works fine :)

One more thing - original modules are worth about 4800$ and my new about
200$ :-> No comments guys....

bye

balth

chris@nospam.com 10-29-2003 05:41 AM

Re: cisco 3660 RAM problem,

On Tue, 28 Oct 2003 20:44:20 +0100, "balth"
<balth@no.poczta.spam.onet.pl> wrote:

>[..]
>> The 3660, uses PC100 ram. Sure you didn't get the wrong ram? You can
>> use non-Cisco memory, just use a good quality brand.
>>

>Hi.
>
>This is not so clear. I've bought RAM from sure dealer (I had bought many
>modules from him) and it router not started with similiar communicates. I
>was very-very amzed because it is sure-sure delaer :-) So, next day my
>dealer went to me with module tester/programmer. And U know? Original
>modules were exactly the same like new modules but... hehe... always is BUT
>;-) Original modules were programmed in SPD with _CISCO's_sign_ - so, if U
>have installed in router (3660 in my case) this one router asked "are U
>cisco's module?" - "yes, I am" said module and it works.
> So, we've programmed new modules with this _CISCO's_sign_ (read from old
>one) and it works fine :)
>
>One more thing - original modules are worth about 4800$ and my new about
>200$ :-> No comments guys....
>
>bye
>
>balth

Sounds odd. I've got generic memory in my router at the moment and it
never complained about SPD id mismatching.

-Chris

hari 10-29-2003 06:02 AM

Re: cisco 3660 RAM problem,

Hi all

i have got another RAM now installed, and iam able to boot

but after running some time iam getting the following error, and router hangs

*** Watch Dog Timeout ***
PC = 0x800001c0, SP = 0x60e3e178

*** TLB (Load/Fetch) Exception ***
Access address = 0x30800000
PC = 0xd4d4d4d4, Cause = 0x8008, Status Reg = 0x30410002
Failure detected during ROMMON start-up tests. Restart ROMMON.

System Bootstrap, Version 12.0(6r)T, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)
Copyright (c) 1999 by cisco Systems, Inc.

Testing lower main memory - data equals address
Bad RAM at location 0xA0000004: wrote 0xA0000004, read 0x44BA0000

Testing lower main memory - data equals address
Bad RAM at location 0xA0000004: wrote 0xA0000004, read 0x44BA0000
System Bootstrap, Version 12.0(6r)T, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)
Copyright (c) 1999 by cisco Systems, Inc.

Testing lower main memory - data equals address
Testing lower main memory - checkerboard
Testing lower main memory - inverse checkerboard
Clearing lower 32K memory for cache initialization
Clearing bss
Reading monitor variables from NVRAM
Enabling interrupts
Initializing TLB
Initializing cache
Reading cookie
Initializing main memory
Sizing NVRAM
Initializing required TLB entries
Configuring FLASH params
Initializing PCI subsystem
Exiting init
C3660 processor with 32768 Kbytes of main memory
Main memory is configured to 64 bit mode with parity disabled

*** TLB (Load/Fetch) Exception ***
Access address = 0xd4d4d4d4
PC = 0xbfc2d4ac, Cause = 0x8, Status Reg = 0x3041f003

*** Address Error (Load/Fetch) Exception ***
Access address = 0xffffffff
PC = 0xffffffff, Cause = 0x10, Status Reg = 0x3041f003

*** Address Error (Load/Fetch) Exception ***
Access address = 0xffffffff
PC = 0xffffffff, Cause = 0x10, Status Reg = 0x3041f003

monitor: command "boot" aborted due to exception

Testing lower main memory - data equals address
Testing lower main memory - checkerboard
Testing lower main memory - inverse checkerboard
Clearing lower 32K memory for cache initialization
Clearing bss
Reading monitor variables from NVRAM
Enabling interrupts
Initializing TLB
Initializing cache
Reading cookie
Initializing main memory
Sizing NVRAM
Initializing required TLB entries
Configuring FLASH params
Initializing PCI subsystem failed, opcode = 0x28

*** TLB (Store) Exception ***
Access address = 0xdcdcdcdc
PC = 0xbfc22fdc, Cause = 0xc, Status Reg = 0x3041f003

------

i make it off some time like hour or so
it will work again for few hours and stops again
and get

System Bootstrap, Version 12.0(6r)T, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)
Copyright (c) 1999 by cisco Systems, Inc.

Bad RAM at location 0xA0000000: wrote 0xA0000000, read 0x5C5C5C5C

i was not sure what could be the problem

any one suggest me

hari

balth 10-29-2003 06:31 AM

Re: cisco 3660 RAM problem,

[..]

> Sounds odd. I've got generic memory in my router at the moment and it
> never complained about SPD id mismatching.

Odd? I think it's sounds mad. :( I've bought ten more 3660s in January and
I'll expand memory in all of them (I think up to the end of the year). And I
wonder if there will be similiar problems. Will bo or or not - I'll write
about it.

greets

balth

chris@nospam.com 10-30-2003 06:52 AM

Re: cisco 3660 RAM problem,

On 28 Oct 2003 22:02:32 -0800, hari_bhr@yahoo.com (hari) wrote:

>Hi all
>
>i have got another RAM now installed, and iam able to boot
>
>but after running some time iam getting the following error, and router hangs

Looks like either the ram is the wrong type (PC66 maybe?) or it is
defective. Ask your vendor to replace the ram. What does the ram
stick have for type and/or chip numbers?

-Chris

hari 11-03-2003 11:27 AM

Re: cisco 3660 RAM problem,

Hi

so if you think, if i chage the RAM so my problem will be resolved

i dont think this chasis has problem, i was suspecting the chasis too

so can some one recomend me that, if the RAM changes, will be going to
solve the problem

how do i identy if the chasis problem

thanks
hari