Velocity Reviews

-   -   router resetting (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t297271-router-resetting.html)

JGA 06-05-2006 01:34 PM

router resetting

Overall my viop setup is working pretty well, however I do have one
annoyance that refuses to leave. The linksys rt31p2 resets itself about 30
minutes after either one of the 2 computers connected to it is booted. Time
of day makes no difference, either computer will cause it. One computer has
two nic cards, makes no difference which one I use, the router still resets
itself 30 minutes after boot and if the phone is in use the call is dropped.
I've changed all the cables. Anyone see this before?

William P.N. Smith 06-05-2006 01:48 PM

Re: router resetting

"JGA" <nottoday@private.net> wrote:
>Overall my viop setup is working pretty well, however I do have one
>annoyance that refuses to leave. The linksys rt31p2 resets itself about 30
>minutes after either one of the 2 computers connected to it is booted. Time
>of day makes no difference, either computer will cause it. One computer has
>two nic cards, makes no difference which one I use, the router still resets
>itself 30 minutes after boot and if the phone is in use the call is dropped.
>I've changed all the cables. Anyone see this before?

Are either of those machines running a "file sharing" app like
BitTorrent, or generating any other similar traffic?

JGA 06-05-2006 02:09 PM

Re: router resetting

"William P.N. Smith" <news2006c@compusmiths.com> wrote in message
> "JGA" <nottoday@private.net> wrote:
>>Overall my viop setup is working pretty well, however I do have one
>>annoyance that refuses to leave. The linksys rt31p2 resets itself about
>>30
>>minutes after either one of the 2 computers connected to it is booted.
>>Time
>>of day makes no difference, either computer will cause it. One computer
>>has
>>two nic cards, makes no difference which one I use, the router still
>>resets
>>itself 30 minutes after boot and if the phone is in use the call is
>>dropped.
>>I've changed all the cables. Anyone see this before?

> Are either of those machines running a "file sharing" app like
> BitTorrent, or generating any other similar traffic?

No, other than occasional local network file transfers of very small size we
don't use the file sharing apps.

Rick Merrill 06-05-2006 02:13 PM

Re: router resetting

JGA wrote:
> Overall my viop setup is working pretty well, however I do have one
> annoyance that refuses to leave. The linksys rt31p2 resets itself about 30
> minutes after either one of the 2 computers connected to it is booted. Time
> of day makes no difference, either computer will cause it. One computer has
> two nic cards, makes no difference which one I use, the router still resets
> itself 30 minutes after boot and if the phone is in use the call is dropped.
> I've changed all the cables. Anyone see this before?

What, if anything, happens after the router is reset? Will things work
normally for hours and hours thereafter? (could you power usage be
marginal?)

JGA 06-05-2006 02:40 PM

Re: router resetting

"Rick Merrill" <rick0.merrill@NOSPAMgmail.com> wrote in message
news:ONydnbJwWJ1qphnZnZ2dneKdnZydnZ2d@comcast.com. ..
> JGA wrote:
>> Overall my viop setup is working pretty well, however I do have one
>> annoyance that refuses to leave. The linksys rt31p2 resets itself about
>> 30 minutes after either one of the 2 computers connected to it is booted.
>> Time of day makes no difference, either computer will cause it. One
>> computer has two nic cards, makes no difference which one I use, the
>> router still resets itself 30 minutes after boot and if the phone is in
>> use the call is dropped. I've changed all the cables. Anyone see this
>> before?

> What, if anything, happens after the router is reset? Will things work
> normally for hours and hours thereafter? (could you power usage be
> marginal?)

After the reset everything works normally. Internet access, phone, local
net, nothing is stopped after the reset. It's only once per boot. After
that it will work fine as long as I don't reboot. I don't think it's a
power issue, all the components are on ups supplies and their logs show
nothing. The fact that it happens at 30 minutes is got me stumped.

Rick Merrill 06-05-2006 03:27 PM

Re: router resetting

JGA wrote:
> "Rick Merrill" <rick0.merrill@NOSPAMgmail.com> wrote in message
> news:ONydnbJwWJ1qphnZnZ2dneKdnZydnZ2d@comcast.com. ..
>
>>JGA wrote:
>>
>>>Overall my viop setup is working pretty well, however I do have one
>>>annoyance that refuses to leave. The linksys rt31p2 resets itself about
>>>30 minutes after either one of the 2 computers connected to it is booted.
>>>Time of day makes no difference, either computer will cause it. One
>>>computer has two nic cards, makes no difference which one I use, the
>>>router still resets itself 30 minutes after boot and if the phone is in
>>>use the call is dropped. I've changed all the cables. Anyone see this
>>>before?

>>What, if anything, happens after the router is reset? Will things work
>>normally for hours and hours thereafter? (could you power usage be
>>marginal?)
>>

> After the reset everything works normally. Internet access, phone, local
> net, nothing is stopped after the reset. It's only once per boot. After
> that it will work fine as long as I don't reboot. I don't think it's a
> power issue, all the components are on ups supplies and their logs show
> nothing. The fact that it happens at 30 minutes is got me stumped.

Are you running Win xp on the 2 computers? (no hubs or other routers?)

Have you seen
http://www.vonage-forum.com/ftopic2067.html
where they seem to have the same problem.

One guy Added a hub and no longer sees his problem.

Rick Merrill 06-05-2006 03:30 PM

Re: router resetting

JGA wrote:

> "William P.N. Smith" <news2006c@compusmiths.com> wrote in message
>
>>"JGA" <nottoday@private.net> wrote:
>>
>>>Overall my viop setup is working pretty well, however I do have one
>>>annoyance that refuses to leave. The linksys rt31p2 resets itself about
>>>30
>>>minutes after either one of the 2 computers connected to it is booted.
>>>Time
>>>of day makes no difference, either computer will cause it. One computer
>>>has
>>>two nic cards, makes no difference which one I use, the router still
>>>resets
>>>itself 30 minutes after boot and if the phone is in use the call is
>>>dropped.
>>>I've changed all the cables. Anyone see this before?

>>Are either of those machines running a "file sharing" app like
>>BitTorrent, or generating any other similar traffic?

> No, other than occasional local network file transfers of very small size we
> don't use the file sharing apps.

Have you checked for spyware etc? I've seen some forums where
BitTorrent or Azureus can cause the [wait for it] reset.

William P.N. Smith 06-05-2006 03:53 PM

Re: router resetting

"JGA" <nottoday@private.net> wrote:
>After the reset everything works normally. Internet access, phone, local
>net, nothing is stopped after the reset. It's only once per boot. After
>that it will work fine as long as I don't reboot.

Yeah, if it's exactly 30 minutes that's really bizarre. I was
thinking overheating or something, but maybe there's a program phoning
home that the router doesn't know how to deal with.

Are you running the latest firmware for your Linksys box?

JGA 06-05-2006 08:55 PM

Re: router resetting

> "JGA" <nottoday@private.net> wrote:
>>After the reset everything works normally. Internet access, phone, local
>>net, nothing is stopped after the reset. It's only once per boot. After
>>that it will work fine as long as I don't reboot.

> Yeah, if it's exactly 30 minutes that's really bizarre. I was
> thinking overheating or something, but maybe there's a program phoning
> home that the router doesn't know how to deal with.
>
> Are you running the latest firmware for your Linksys box?

Both systems running Win XP. It's a simple network. Cable modem, router, 2
computers, 1 phone. I check for spyware frequently with AdAware, run anti
virus scans weekly. Nothing other than cookies shows up, and I summarily
delete them. Any file transfers are local and take no longer than a couple
of seconds. There is no wireless involved.

I don't think it's overheating, the computer room is air conditioned,
although you never know. I was careful not to stack anything on top of the
router. Firmware, as I understand it, comes from the provider, Vonage.
Firmware and phone home programs seem to be the likely suspects but I haven't
found anything yet. The last update from my provider was 9/2/05 version
1.30.01. Linksys directs me back to Vonage for updates.

Other than shutting down the computers overnight everything else stays up.

I appreciate your input with this. I have considered replacing the router
but don't want to inherit new problems.

Rick Merrill 06-05-2006 09:38 PM

Re: router resetting

JGA wrote:

> "William P.N. Smith" <news2006c@compusmiths.com> wrote in message
>
>>"JGA" <nottoday@private.net> wrote:
>>
>>>After the reset everything works normally. Internet access, phone, local
>>>net, nothing is stopped after the reset. It's only once per boot. After
>>>that it will work fine as long as I don't reboot.

>>Yeah, if it's exactly 30 minutes that's really bizarre. I was
>>thinking overheating or something, but maybe there's a program phoning
>>home that the router doesn't know how to deal with.
>>
>>Are you running the latest firmware for your Linksys box?

> Both systems running Win XP. It's a simple network. Cable modem, router, 2
> computers, 1 phone. I check for spyware frequently with AdAware, run anti
> virus scans weekly. Nothing other than cookies shows up, and I summarily
> delete them. Any file transfers are local and take no longer than a couple
> of seconds. There is no wireless involved.
>

> I don't think it's overheating, the computer room is air conditioned,
> although you never know. I was careful not to stack anything on top of the
> router.

Ah! That reminds me of my modem which began resetting itself at 30 min
(random?) intervals. I finally discovered it had a same-color-as
the-rest-of-the-case RESET BUTTON on the TOP! Yes, the upper 'shelf' had
begun do just barely touch the reset button. Heat made the shelf sag and
bingo!