Velocity Reviews

-   -   Outlook XP or Virus or Worm (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t296914-outlook-xp-or-virus-or-worm.html)

John Festus Foster 08-23-2003 10:29 PM

Outlook XP or Virus or Worm

Good afternoon folks,

The last few days I've been having trouble I am unable to resolve. I'm
running an XP Professional system with Office XP Professional. XP is
setup with FastUserSwithcing enabled. Outlook on all 3 user accounts
"was" set for DialUp a connection, but is now set for LAN connection.

Here's what happens:

1:) Any user logs in and opens Outlook and does "whatever"
2:) Any other user "switches" to their account
3:) 1st user switches back to their account and the "Outlook
Send/Receive Progress" screen is showing with an error connecting to
host

Before I changed the connection setting to LAN, immediately upon
switching back to the 1st user, the modem would attempt to dial. I'm
not sure what is going on here. This has never happened before, and
I'm a big concerned. I've been running in this configuration for over
2 years without problem. I think my system is quite well locked down,
and always has been.

Norton AV 2003 - LiveUpdate run nitely - always have
Norton NIS 2003 - Live update run nitely - always have - nothing
accesses the internet without permission
TDS-3 - new definitions downloaded weekly and run a full system scan -
always have
MooSoft The Cleaner - updated weekly and full system scan - always
have.
EnoughIsEnough and XMLImport from
http://www.staff.uiuc.edu/~ehowes/main.htm for locking down IE (Highly
recommended)
XP - patched 3 or 4 times a week - only critical patches, or if one of
the others addressss a problem I am having.
Office XP - patched whenever available
Outlook runs with the "NoHTML.dll" COM Add-In from
http://ntbugtraq.ntadvice.com/defaul...&pid=55&did=38 to
convert incoming HTML messages to plain text (Highly recommended)

ANY help is greatly appreciated !!!

Thanks,
John

W.S. Blevins 08-23-2003 10:34 PM

Re: Outlook XP or Virus or Worm

On Sat, 23 Aug 2003 18:29:02 -0400, John Festus Foster
<festus@frognet.net> begged for my response and typed the following
drivel:

>The last few days I've been having trouble I am unable to resolve.

I left my crystal ball at the office.

This message is certified as virus free by ImSoFullOfShit Anti-Virus.
Feel free to click on any attachments. Go ahead. You know you want to.

mto 08-23-2003 10:53 PM

"John Festus Foster" <festus@frognet.net> wrote in message
> Good afternoon folks,
>
> The last few days I've been having trouble I am unable to resolve. I'm
> running an XP Professional system with Office XP Professional. XP is
> setup with FastUserSwithcing enabled. Outlook on all 3 user accounts
> "was" set for DialUp a connection, but is now set for LAN connection.
>
> Here's what happens:
>
> 1:) Any user logs in and opens Outlook and does "whatever"
> 2:) Any other user "switches" to their account
> 3:) 1st user switches back to their account and the "Outlook
> Send/Receive Progress" screen is showing with an error connecting to
> host
>
> Before I changed the connection setting to LAN, immediately upon
> switching back to the 1st user, the modem would attempt to dial.

Did you check to see if someone accidentally checked the box that says
something on the order of "hang up when messages have been downloaded?"

Colonel Flagg 08-24-2003 05:37 AM

Re: Outlook XP or Virus or Worm

In article <FRadnZdCVIr9bdqiXTWJhA@seg.net>,
nobody@dontsendmeanyspam.thanks says...

> "John Festus Foster" <festus@frognet.net> wrote in message
> > Good afternoon folks,
> >
> > The last few days I've been having trouble I am unable to resolve. I'm
> > running an XP Professional system with Office XP Professional. XP is
> > setup with FastUserSwithcing enabled. Outlook on all 3 user accounts
> > "was" set for DialUp a connection, but is now set for LAN connection.
> >
> > Here's what happens:
> >
> > 1:) Any user logs in and opens Outlook and does "whatever"
> > 2:) Any other user "switches" to their account
> > 3:) 1st user switches back to their account and the "Outlook
> > Send/Receive Progress" screen is showing with an error connecting to
> > host
> >
> > Before I changed the connection setting to LAN, immediately upon
> > switching back to the 1st user, the modem would attempt to dial.

> Did you check to see if someone accidentally checked the box that says
> something on the order of "hang up when messages have been downloaded?"

or if they've also selected "always use this connection".

--
Colonel Flagg
http://www.internetwarzone.org/

Privacy at a click: