Velocity Reviews

-   -   Munged 'From:' header (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t296811-munged-from-header.html)

Yolande 08-08-2003 07:39 PM

Munged 'From:' header

I see someone posting to a newsgroup with a 'From:' header 'Name <>'
and his name appears in a thread as 'Name <>'. He is posting via a
premium newsserver which, I guess, allows a bogus e-mail address but
not a completely invisible one! He is using Free Agent 1.93. I've
googled on this without result so can anyone tell me how this is done?

Colonel Flagg 08-08-2003 08:27 PM

Re: Munged 'From:' header

In article <usu7jvgqehgtfqg5mpnfq3jiqjmvpeq9t6@4ax.com>, y_hermitas@no-
spam.hotmail.com says...
> I see someone posting to a newsgroup with a 'From:' header 'Name <>'
> and his name appears in a thread as 'Name <>'. He is posting via a
> premium newsserver which, I guess, allows a bogus e-mail address but
> not a completely invisible one! He is using Free Agent 1.93. I've
> googled on this without result so can anyone tell me how this is done?

provide headers.

--
Colonel Flagg
http://www.internetwarzone.org/

Privacy at a click:
http://www.cotse.net

Wanna ask a question in Usenet?

Everything about Usenet answered:
http://www.internetwarzone.org/answers.html

America WILL NOT forget 9-11-01

Yolande 08-08-2003 09:54 PM

Re: Munged 'From:' header

From: Name <>
Newsgroups: alt... {my snip}
Subject: Re: ... {my snip}
Date: ... {my snip}

The Saint 08-09-2003 03:02 AM

Re: Munged 'From:' header

Yolande wrote:

>I see someone posting to a newsgroup with a 'From:' header 'Name <>'
>and his name appears in a thread as 'Name <>'. He is posting via a
>premium newsserver which, I guess, allows a bogus e-mail address but
>not a completely invisible one! He is using Free Agent 1.93. I've
>googled on this without result so can anyone tell me how this is done?

Supernews doesn't require their users to enter an e-mail address.
When no e-mail address is supplied the default "<>" is all that is
shown.

The Saint 08-09-2003 10:39 PM

Re: Munged 'From:' header

Colonel Flagg wrote:

>In article <1100786464.413816f8@thesaint.i-p.com>, gur_fnvag@gurfnvag.v-
>c.pbz says...
>> Yolande wrote:
>>
>> >I see someone posting to a newsgroup with a 'From:' header 'Name <>'
>> >and his name appears in a thread as 'Name <>'. He is posting via a
>> >premium newsserver which, I guess, allows a bogus e-mail address but
>> >not a completely invisible one! He is using Free Agent 1.93. I've
>> >googled on this without result so can anyone tell me how this is done?

>> Supernews doesn't require their users to enter an e-mail address.
>> When no e-mail address is supplied the default "<>" is all that is
>> shown.
>>

>and.... if you enter "Name" instead of say.... "Yolande", "Name" will
>show.
>
>HTH.

Absolutely.