Velocity Reviews

-   -   Notepad popups (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t296809-notepad-popups.html)

YK 08-08-2003 03:51 PM

Notepad popups

"Do Notepad popups represent a security risk or are they simply another way
for spammers and marketers to annoy us? Because of a design flaw in Internet
Explorer, Notepad popup windows can be displayed from an HTML email message
or Web page regardless of browser security settings. In addition, Notepad
popups can access files on a hard disk, possibly causing stability
problems in a Windows system."

http://www.computerbytesman.com/secu...epadpopups.htm

The link will automatically open an example pop-up if you're using IE.

donut 08-08-2003 03:59 PM

Re: Notepad popups

"YK" <YKnot@home.invalid> wrote in
news:MFPYa.88535$4UE.81088@news01.bloor.is.net.cab le.rogers.com:

> "Do Notepad popups represent a security risk or are they simply
> another way for spammers and marketers to annoy us? Because of a
> design flaw in Internet Explorer, Notepad popup windows can be
> displayed from an HTML email message or Web page regardless of browser
> security settings. In addition, Notepad popups can access files on a
> hard disk, possibly causing stability problems in a Windows system."
>
> http://www.computerbytesman.com/secu...epadpopups.htm
>
> The link will automatically open an example pop-up if you're using IE.

Another argument for not using IE, or any Microsoft application, if
possible.

dkg_ctc 08-08-2003 04:12 PM

Re: Notepad popups

donut <none@none.com> wrote in

> "YK" <YKnot@home.invalid> wrote in
> news:MFPYa.88535$4UE.81088@news01.bloor.is.net.cab le.rogers.com:

*snip*
>> http://www.computerbytesman.com/secu...epadpopups.htm
>>
>> The link will automatically open an example pop-up if you're
>> using IE.

> Another argument for not using IE, or any Microsoft application,
> if possible.

Because everyone knows how dangerous it is to open a file in Notepad...

mto 08-08-2003 04:37 PM

Re: Notepad popups

"YK" <YKnot@home.invalid> wrote in message
news:MFPYa.88535$4UE.81088@news01.bloor.is.net.cab le.rogers.com...
> "Do Notepad popups represent a security risk or are they simply another

way
> for spammers and marketers to annoy us? Because of a design flaw in

Internet
> Explorer, Notepad popup windows can be displayed from an HTML email

message
> or Web page regardless of browser security settings. In addition, Notepad
> popups can access files on a hard disk, possibly causing stability
> problems in a Windows system."
>
> http://www.computerbytesman.com/secu...epadpopups.htm
>
> The link will automatically open an example pop-up if you're using IE.

Not in my IE - no automatic popup at all. Got one when I clicked the link,
but it did not automatically open.

YK 08-08-2003 05:01 PM

Re: Notepad popups

mto wrote:
> "YK" <YKnot@home.invalid> wrote in message
> news:MFPYa.88535$4UE.81088@news01.bloor.is.net.cab le.rogers.com...
>> "Do Notepad popups represent a security risk or are they simply
>> another way for spammers and marketers to annoy us? Because of a
>> design flaw in Internet Explorer, Notepad popup windows can be
>> displayed from an HTML email message or Web page regardless of
>> browser security settings. In addition, Notepad popups can access
>> files on a hard disk, possibly causing stability problems in a
>> Windows system."
>>
>> http://www.computerbytesman.com/secu...epadpopups.htm
>>
>> The link will automatically open an example pop-up if you're using
>> IE.

> Not in my IE - no automatic popup at all. Got one when I clicked the
> link, but it did not automatically open.

What IE settings do you have that stops this? I have the site in my
Resricted Zone but the Notepad popup still appears.

Dave Korn 08-08-2003 05:22 PM

Re: Notepad popups

"dkg_ctc" <dontknowguilt@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> donut <none@none.com> wrote in
>
> > "YK" <YKnot@home.invalid> wrote in
> > news:MFPYa.88535$4UE.81088@news01.bloor.is.net.cab le.rogers.com:

> *snip*
> >> http://www.computerbytesman.com/secu...epadpopups.htm
> >>
> >> The link will automatically open an example pop-up if you're
> >> using IE.

> > Another argument for not using IE, or any Microsoft application,
> > if possible.

> Because everyone knows how dangerous it is to open a file in Notepad...

Well, never forget that we used to say the same about reading an email....
until M$ got done with it, of course....

DaveK
--
moderator of
alt.talk.rec.soc.biz.news.comp.humanities.meow.mis c.moderated.meow

mto 08-08-2003 05:37 PM

Re: Notepad popups

"YK" <YKnot@home.invalid> wrote in message
news:_HQYa.88901$4UE.61365@news01.bloor.is.net.cab le.rogers.com...
> mto wrote:
> > "YK" <YKnot@home.invalid> wrote in message
> > news:MFPYa.88535$4UE.81088@news01.bloor.is.net.cab le.rogers.com...
> >> "Do Notepad popups represent a security risk or are they simply
> >> another way for spammers and marketers to annoy us? Because of a
> >> design flaw in Internet Explorer, Notepad popup windows can be
> >> displayed from an HTML email message or Web page regardless of
> >> browser security settings. In addition, Notepad popups can access
> >> files on a hard disk, possibly causing stability problems in a
> >> Windows system."
> >>
> >> http://www.computerbytesman.com/secu...epadpopups.htm
> >>
> >> The link will automatically open an example pop-up if you're using
> >> IE.

> > Not in my IE - no automatic popup at all. Got one when I clicked the
> > link, but it did not automatically open.

> What IE settings do you have that stops this? I have the site in my
> Resricted Zone but the Notepad popup still appears.

Might actually be my Zone Alarm rather than the IE settings, though my IE
settings are java off, javascript ask, cookie disallow, activeX off,
autodownload off.

Lu Tze 08-08-2003 06:57 PM

Re: Notepad popups

"YK" <YKnot@home.invalid> wrote in message
news:MFPYa.88535$4UE.81088@news01.bloor.is.net.cab le.rogers.com...
> "Do Notepad popups represent a security risk or are they simply another

way
> for spammers and marketers to annoy us? Because of a design flaw in

Internet
> Explorer, Notepad popup windows can be displayed from an HTML email

message
> or Web page regardless of browser security settings. In addition, Notepad
> popups can access files on a hard disk, possibly causing stability
> problems in a Windows system."
>
> http://www.computerbytesman.com/secu...epadpopups.htm
>
> The link will automatically open an example pop-up if you're using IE.

No popups here.
usually use Mozilla but have moderately secure(by my standards) IE for those
sites that need them.
Running Spy-bot, ad-aware, proxomitron and spywareblaster plus a
comprehensive host file.
As I say no popups.
--
Lu Tze

Whale Oil Beef Hooked.

YK 08-08-2003 07:13 PM

Re: Notepad popups

Lu Tze wrote:
> "YK" <YKnot@home.invalid> wrote in message
> news:MFPYa.88535$4UE.81088@news01.bloor.is.net.cab le.rogers.com...
>> "Do Notepad popups represent a security risk or are they simply
>> another way for spammers and marketers to annoy us? Because of a
>> design flaw in Internet Explorer, Notepad popup windows can be
>> displayed from an HTML email message or Web page regardless of
>> browser security settings. In addition, Notepad popups can access
>> files on a hard disk, possibly causing stability problems in a
>> Windows system."
>>
>> http://www.computerbytesman.com/secu...epadpopups.htm
>>
>> The link will automatically open an example pop-up if you're using
>> IE.

> No popups here.
> usually use Mozilla but have moderately secure(by my standards) IE
> for those sites that need them.
> Running Spy-bot, ad-aware, proxomitron and spywareblaster plus a
> comprehensive host file.
> As I say no popups.

The only difference I see is I am not running proxomitron.

donut 08-09-2003 07:11 AM

Re: Notepad popups

"dkg_ctc" <dontknowguilt@hotmail.com> wrote in

> Because everyone knows how dangerous it is to open a file in Notepad...

That's not the point at all. The point is that Internet Explorer, Outlook
Express and other M$ applications are being manipulated to do things they
were never intended to do. Doesn't the fact that a web page, or a spammer
can induce IE to open a Notepad window without your consent bother you at
all?