Velocity Reviews

-   -   Copying raw MPEG-2 data from DVD-Video (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t296441-copying-raw-mpeg-2-data-from-dvd-video.html)

rachid 05-16-2006 09:34 PM

Copying raw MPEG-2 data from DVD-Video

Hi there !

There is something that I don't understand about DVD-Video.
First let me tell you about my satellite card:
My PCI satellite card recieves a MPEG-2 stream, when I tell it to
record, it starts copying bits and bytes to my hard disk, when I tell
it to stop, it stops, does a little funky things, and there I have a
MPEG-2 files.
No converting or anything, it's the same quality as it was originally.

So second, I don't understand why I can't copy the MPEG-2 data from a
DVD-Video disk.
A DVD-Video disk has MPEG-2 data on it, stored in VOB files.
Why can't I find any programs that can just dive into the VOB file and
copy the MPEG-2 data to my hard disk ?

Or am I just looking at the wrong software ?

Hope someone can clarify this for me ! :-)

Biz 05-16-2006 11:00 PM

Re: Copying raw MPEG-2 data from DVD-Video

All the DVD rippers can do exactly what you asked about. Since VOB's
contain streams, video, audio, and subpicture streams, they can be demuxed
quite easily, then you just combine say the video and audio streams you want
to get a perfect mpeg-2 file...

news:1147815251.383520.48800@i40g2000cwc.googlegro ups.com...

rachid 05-17-2006 06:03 AM

Re: Copying raw MPEG-2 data from DVD-Video

All the DVD rippers I found so far can only do a conversion to other
formats.
Last program I tried was "#1 DVD Ripper SE", but again no luck.
There are no options for raw copy, MPEG-2, or any similar name.

Can you recommend a DVD ripper ?

Netmask 05-17-2006 10:35 AM

Re: Copying raw MPEG-2 data from DVD-Video

"rachid" <rachidheffels@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:1147815251.383520.48800@i40g2000cwc.googlegro ups.com...
> Hi there !
>
> There is something that I don't understand about DVD-Video.
> First let me tell you about my satellite card:
> My PCI satellite card recieves a MPEG-2 stream, when I tell it to
> record, it starts copying bits and bytes to my hard disk, when I tell
> it to stop, it stops, does a little funky things, and there I have a
> MPEG-2 files.
> No converting or anything, it's the same quality as it was originally.
>
> So second, I don't understand why I can't copy the MPEG-2 data from a
> DVD-Video disk.
> A DVD-Video disk has MPEG-2 data on it, stored in VOB files.
> Why can't I find any programs that can just dive into the VOB file and
> copy the MPEG-2 data to my hard disk ?
>
> Or am I just looking at the wrong software ?
>
> Hope someone can clarify this for me ! :-)

You can just copy the VOB files straight into a mpeg editor like Womble,
VideoRedo etc, join them up and output a single mpeg 2 file.

You can even change the suffix from vob to mpg in many cases and play the
file in WMP or VLC or Media Player Classic etc etc

I'm assuming the vob files are non protected files. If they are from a
commercial DVD then you will have to decrypt them first before you can copy
them on to your hard disk.

Roy L. Fuchs 05-20-2006 07:48 PM

Re: Copying raw MPEG-2 data from DVD-Video

On Wed, 17 May 2006 10:35:22 GMT, "Netmask"
<netmask56NOFLEAS@geemail.com> Gave us:

>"rachid" <rachidheffels@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>news:1147815251.383520.48800@i40g2000cwc.googlegr oups.com...
>> Hi there !
>>
>> There is something that I don't understand about DVD-Video.
>> First let me tell you about my satellite card:
>> My PCI satellite card recieves a MPEG-2 stream, when I tell it to
>> record, it starts copying bits and bytes to my hard disk, when I tell
>> it to stop, it stops, does a little funky things, and there I have a
>> MPEG-2 files.
>> No converting or anything, it's the same quality as it was originally.
>>
>> So second, I don't understand why I can't copy the MPEG-2 data from a
>> DVD-Video disk.
>> A DVD-Video disk has MPEG-2 data on it, stored in VOB files.
>> Why can't I find any programs that can just dive into the VOB file and
>> copy the MPEG-2 data to my hard disk ?
>>
>> Or am I just looking at the wrong software ?
>>
>> Hope someone can clarify this for me ! :-)
>>

>You can just copy the VOB files straight into a mpeg editor like Womble,
>VideoRedo etc, join them up and output a single mpeg 2 file.
>
>You can even change the suffix from vob to mpg in many cases and play the
>file in WMP or VLC or Media Player Classic etc etc
>
>I'm assuming the vob files are non protected files. If they are from a
>commercial DVD then you will have to decrypt them first before you can copy
>them on to your hard disk.

Play it off a stick on my PSP! What a cool device!

yeltz 05-22-2006 08:25 AM

rachid wrote:
> All the DVD rippers I found so far can only do a conversion to other
> formats.
> Last program I tried was "#1 DVD Ripper SE", but again no luck.
> There are no options for raw copy, MPEG-2, or any similar name.
>
> Can you recommend a DVD ripper ?

Search for DVDDecrypter (no longer being supported by the author). It
will defeat copy protection from a commercial disc [although it may
have issues with newer discs]

You might also want to look at: DVDFab Express (Free Edition)

If you want to also compress a DVD9 onto a DVD5, look at DVDShrink