Velocity Reviews

-   -   Showing a loading screen (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t296336-showing-a-loading-screen.html)

graphicsxp 06-03-2006 06:28 PM

Showing a loading screen

Hi,
I have can upload a file to the server from my aspx page using the
uploadfile control. When the user click on submit I'd like to show an
animated gif while the file is being uploaded. But how can I know when
the file was uploaded and I can stop showing the animation ?

The way I've done it:
I have a multiview control.
view1 -> upload interface
view2 -> animation while uploading
view3 -> feedback to the user saying the upload was successfull.

First probem: I can switch to view2 when the user clicked submit but
then I need to upload the file. I've tried in the activeviewchanged
event but then the view is only displayed once the file has been
uploaded...

Second problem: How can I know when to switch from view2 to view3....

Can you help? I'm struggling with this.:(

thank you

bruce barker \(sqlwork.com\) 06-03-2006 07:54 PM

Re: Showing a loading screen

in genreral this will be difficult to do without an active/x control. a post
inculding a file, is treated by the browser as a page request. it will not
display a response until the upload finishes. you can start an animation
(make an invisible gif visibale), but genrally the browser shuts down the
animation thread while posting. you can have better luck with frames, by
posting to a hidden frame.

-- bruce (sqlwork.com)

news:1149359282.731689.231160@j55g2000cwa.googlegr oups.com...

graphicsxp 06-03-2006 10:40 PM

Re: Showing a loading screen

Thanks for replying. This is not very encouraging thought :(
I hope I'm going to find a better solution than hidden frames !

Shawn 06-04-2006 12:22 PM

Re: Showing a loading screen

You should be able to achieve what you want using threading. Check out
http://www.ftponline.com/vsm/2002_11...tures/chester/

news:1149374459.320922.292840@i40g2000cwc.googlegr oups.com...

graphicsxp 06-04-2006 03:19 PM

Re: Showing a loading screen

Hi Shawn,
Thanks for the link, it is a very interesting approach.
For now I've solved my problem using this:
http://www.codeproject.com/aspnet/PleaseWaitButton.asp
as I don't care about giving an exact feedback on the upload
progression. But anyway I'll keep the multithreading idea in mind for
other stuff!
Thanks.

Ciaran 06-06-2006 10:33 PM

Re: Showing a loading screen