Velocity Reviews

-   -   D-link ain't linking (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t295111-d-link-aint-linking.html)

Mike G 05-26-2006 12:45 AM

D-link ain't linking

Router is a D-Link DI-524 ver A, with the latest firmware update. I can
connect with my 2 wireless laptops (IBM & Gateway) as long as I have no
encryption selected in the router. I have failed to connect with simple
WEP, WPA and WPA-PSk settings. I know the keys are exact in both laptops,
have changed them and tried various settings. If I uncheck encryption, I
get immediate connect and am able to get to the internet. Any help
appreciated. (All Winxp machines)

=?Utf-8?B?TWFkRG9n?= 05-26-2006 03:49 AM

RE: D-link ain't linking

Absolutely positive you're setting the same keys in the router and laptop ??

MD

RalfG 05-26-2006 02:34 PM

Re: D-link ain't linking

On the Authentication tab for the wireless adapters make sure that
IEEE.802.1x authentication is disabled.

For WEP try using an Open key in HEX format, 64bit or 128 bit. WEP
implementations are not all compatible with each other. Connecting to the
Dlink using Shared WEP keys and adapters designed to work using an ASCII
passphrase system might not be possible.

WPA encryption requires a Radius server on the LAN so unless you have one
you can only use WPA-PSK. Confirm that both the adapters and the router are
using either TKIP or AES encryption method. If they still won't connect ,
there are different implementations WPA that could be used by the hardware
manufacturers and you might have run into a hardware incompatibility. Maybe
try a different brand of router, or one using a different chipset.

Bert 05-26-2006 11:16 PM

Re: D-link ain't linking

"Mike G" <justme@idontknow.com> wrote in message
> Router is a D-Link DI-524 ver A, with the latest firmware update. I can
> connect with my 2 wireless laptops (IBM & Gateway) as long as I have no
> encryption selected in the router. I have failed to connect with simple
> WEP, WPA and WPA-PSk settings. I know the keys are exact in both laptops,
> have changed them and tried various settings. If I uncheck encryption, I
> get immediate connect and am able to get to the internet. Any help
> appreciated. (All Winxp machines)

Do search in this newsgroup for --> Subject: WPA-PSK(TKIP) cant acquire ip
address.... See if it helps you ....it worked for me

Mike G 05-27-2006 01:40 AM

Re: D-link ain't linking

Thanks for the great help. Will do some more reading and try the
suggestions. Originally only had the IBM, issued by my company and they had
it locked down pretty tight. Thought perhaps that this was something not
permitting connection. But as I travel around to other company locations, I
have no trouble connecting. The Gateway, a present to my stepdaughter,
loaded with the latest wireless 'stuff' is having the same problems. so:
Yes all the keys are the same in both laptops, and the the router. Have
done a router reset and re-entered the data. Updated to the latest firmware,
saw a fix correcting the WPA BUG, but did not help. Have changed to
different passwords, had my son enter them in also. I also tried Hex and
Ascii selection as suggested by RalfG. Plan to try an older netgear B
router this weekend. Was also wondering, since this is version "A" and
D-link has kept the same model and updated thru version "D", there must be a
reason??? Thanks again.

Ted 05-27-2006 09:03 AM

Re: D-link ain't linking

"Mike G" <justme@idontknow.com> wrote in message
> Router is a D-Link DI-524 ver A, with the latest firmware update. I can
> connect with my 2 wireless laptops (IBM & Gateway) as long as I have no
> encryption selected in the router. I have failed to connect with simple
> WEP, WPA and WPA-PSk settings. I know the keys are exact in both laptops,
> have changed them and tried various settings. If I uncheck encryption, I
> get immediate connect and am able to get to the internet. Any help
> appreciated. (All Winxp machines)

Just picked up a DI-524 (rev_D) and it worked for about a day. Now can't
even connect after doing a hard reset. My DI-514 works like a charm tho.
Ted

RalfG 05-27-2006 02:02 PM

Re: D-link ain't linking

There were at least two different chipsets used.

Revision A apparently used a Marvel chipset.. fairly old units.
Revision B was an export version (don't know the chipset)
Revision C used an Atheros chipset, likely rev.D and rev.E as well.

D-link suggests that you try changing SSID to ANY on all devices if you
cannot get them to connect.