Velocity Reviews

-   -   VoIP over a VPN (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t294283-voip-over-a-vpn.html)

linker3000 05-21-2006 03:50 PM

VoIP over a VPN

Is anyone here running VoIP traffic across multiple VPNs - specifically
OpenVPN?

Does the VPN's inbuilt compression have any positive or negative effects?

Any gotchas?

Thanks

PeterW 05-21-2006 05:24 PM

Re: VoIP over a VPN

linker3000 <linker3000@google-minushyphenmail.com> wrote in

> Is anyone here running VoIP traffic across multiple VPNs - specifically
> OpenVPN?
>
> Does the VPN's inbuilt compression have any positive or negative effects?
>
> Any gotchas?
>
> Thanks

Yes - I have routed IAX2 down an openVPN tunnel (as well as a bespoke
protocol). SIP could be "interesting".

You may have problems with packet routing and have to use DNAT/SNAT (to
route UDP packets incoming to the openVPN server and send them to the
TUN/TAP adapter to get them to the client)

Compression doesn't help and can make the audio poor unless your openVPN
server has a fast processor that can compress very fast.

Peter

linker3000 05-21-2006 07:40 PM

Re: VoIP over a VPN

PeterW wrote:
> linker3000 <linker3000@google-minushyphenmail.com> wrote in
>
>> Is anyone here running VoIP traffic across multiple VPNs - specifically
>> OpenVPN?
>>
>> Does the VPN's inbuilt compression have any positive or negative effects?
>>
>> Any gotchas?
>>
>> Thanks
>>

> Yes - I have routed IAX2 down an openVPN tunnel (as well as a bespoke
> protocol). SIP could be "interesting".
>
> You may have problems with packet routing and have to use DNAT/SNAT (to
> route UDP packets incoming to the openVPN server and send them to the
> TUN/TAP adapter to get them to the client)
>
> Compression doesn't help and can make the audio poor unless your openVPN
> server has a fast processor that can compress very fast.
>
> Peter

Thanks for the insight.

L3K

aap 05-22-2006 10:59 AM

Re: VoIP over a VPN

"linker3000" <linker3000@google-minushyphenmail.com> wrote in message
> Is anyone here running VoIP traffic across multiple VPNs - specifically

KPN (old dutch BT) is running VOIP over VPN for security.
No problem.

In general
- VPN is only increasing latency (trough encryption) and latency should be
below 100ms for the best quality.
- VPN is adding compexity trough NAT/NAS, so you have to use STUN servers