Velocity Reviews

-   -   Prevent quicktime from playing ANYTHING in browser (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t294148-prevent-quicktime-from-playing-anything-in-browser.html)

spasmous 05-20-2006 02:23 AM

Prevent quicktime from playing ANYTHING in browser

I installed the iPod software on my computer (Win2000) - which included
Quicktime. Now Quicktime has taken over all media playing duties in
Firefox. I do not want this. It's an ugly, buggy program. However iPod
won't start without it installed. Typical crapware trickery...

I've edited the Quicktime options and unchecked every box. It still
plays. So how do I change the default media player in Firefox back to
Window Media Player?

Ralph Fox 05-21-2006 11:48 AM

Re: Prevent quicktime from playing ANYTHING in browser

On 19 May 2006 19:23:31 -0700, in message <1148091811.763060.210350@y43g2000cwc.googlegroups .com>,
spasmous wrote:

> I installed the iPod software on my computer (Win2000) - which included
> Quicktime. Now Quicktime has taken over all media playing duties in
> Firefox. I do not want this. It's an ugly, buggy program. However iPod
> won't start without it installed. Typical crapware trickery...
>
> I've edited the Quicktime options and unchecked every box.

A. Also edit the QuickTime options here

Control Panel -> QuickTime -> Browser Plug-in -> MIME Settings

Expand everything, and uncheck every box.
Then restart Firefox.

> It still
> plays. So how do I change the default media player in Firefox back to
> Window Media Player?

B. If 'A' above didn't work, try this as a fallback.

1. Enter the following in the URL bar
about:config
2. Scroll down to find the preference name
plugin.expose_full_path
3. If the preference value is not "true", then change it
to "true".
Right-click on this preference name and choose "Modify"
from the right-click context menu.
4. Enter the following in the URL bar
about:plugins
5. Scroll down to find all of the QuickTime plug-ins (there will
be more than one listed).

This will tell you the full path to each of the
npqt*.dll DLL files for the QuickTime plug-in which
Firefox is using. [If you don't do steps 1-3 you won't
see the full path.]

|***QuickTime*Plug-in*5.0.2
|***
|*******File*name:*C:\Program*Files\QuickTime\Plugins\npqtplugin3.dll
|*******The*QuickTime*Plugin*allows*you*to*view*a*wide*variety*of*
|*******multimedia*content*in*Web*pages.*For*more*information,*visit*
|*******the*QuickTime*Web*site.
|***
|***MIME*Type*********Description*********************Suffixes***************************************Enabled
|***---------------***-----------------------------***--------------------------------------------***-------
|***audio/vnd.qcelp***QUALCOMM*PureVoice*audio*file***qcp********************************************Yes
|***audio/x-gsm*******GSM*audio*file******************gsm********************************************Yes
|***video/x-mpeg******MPEG*media*file*****************mpeg,mpg,m1s,m1v,m1a,m75,m15,mp2,mpm,mpv,mpa***Yes
|***video/mpeg********MPEG*media*file*****************mpeg,mpg,m1s,m1v,m1a,m75,m15,mp2,mpm,mpv,mpa***Yes

5. Make a backup of all of the npqt*.dll files,

Now close Firefox and delete or rename all of the
npqt*.dll files. If you rename them, rename them
so they do not start with "np" and/or do not have
a ".dll" extension.

--
Cheers,
Ralph