Velocity Reviews

-   -   Counting number of zeros in an array (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t293922-counting-number-of-zeros-in-an-array.html)

Nish 05-18-2006 04:12 PM

Counting number of zeros in an array

Hi all,
i want to find a mat lab algorithm in order to count number of
zeros in any given matrix

for eg

Given Matrix A:

1 0 1 1
0 0 1 1
2 2 3 3
2 2 4 0

the required code should give me the no of zeros as 4

Please post your views on the topic.

thanks

Nishant

nishantxl@rediffmail.com

Oliver Wong 05-18-2006 04:14 PM

Re: Counting number of zeros in an array

"Nish" <nishantxl@rediffmail.com> wrote in message
news:1147968735.605669.128180@j33g2000cwa.googlegr oups.com...
> Hi all,
> i want to find a mat lab algorithm in order to count number of
> zeros in any given matrix
>
> for eg
>
> Given Matrix A:
>
> 1 0 1 1
> 0 0 1 1
> 2 2 3 3
> 2 2 4 0
>

> the required code should give me the no of zeros as 4
>
> Please post your views on the topic.

My view is that Matlab isn't Java, and so this sounds like it's off
topic here.

- Oliver

Rhino 05-18-2006 04:48 PM

Re: Counting number of zeros in an array

"Nish" <nishantxl@rediffmail.com> wrote in message
news:1147968735.605669.128180@j33g2000cwa.googlegr oups.com...
> Hi all,
> i want to find a mat lab algorithm in order to count number of
> zeros in any given matrix
>
> for eg
>
> Given Matrix A:
>
> 1 0 1 1
> 0 0 1 1
> 2 2 3 3
> 2 2 4 0
>

> the required code should give me the no of zeros as 4
>
> Please post your views on the topic.

This isn't a matter of "views" (opinions), it's a matter of knowing enough
basic Java to count the zero values in an array. Are you saying that you
don't know how to do this? That sounds like a homework question, in which
case it is better asked at comp.lang.java.help. When you post there, please
provide code so that we know what datatype the array is, how, many
dimensions it has, and how big each dimension can be. Or is it a collection?
Or a collection of arrays? Or an array of collections?

--
Rhino

Patricia Shanahan 05-18-2006 07:22 PM

Nish wrote:
> Hi all,
> i want to find a mat lab algorithm in order to count number of
> zeros in any given matrix
>
> for eg
>
> Given Matrix A:
>
> 1 0 1 1
> 0 0 1 1
> 2 2 3 3
> 2 2 4 0
>

> the required code should give me the no of zeros as 4
>
> Please post your views on the topic.
>
> thanks
>
> Nishant
>
> nishantxl@rediffmail.com

My view of the topic is that it would be much more appropriate for a
Matlab group than here. However, even in a Matlab newsgroup it might be
considered to look a bit too much like homework to be a really
appropriate question.

I have written enough Matlab to know that a good Matlab solution is
unlikely to have much resemblance to any Java solution. Many
participants in this newsgroup will not even know that much.

Patricia