Velocity Reviews

-   -   Any estimates on cost of camera repair? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t292763-any-estimates-on-cost-of-camera-repair.html)

Alan Meyer 08-14-2004 04:15 AM

Any estimates on cost of camera repair?

I have a Canon S30 which I bought shortly after it
came out for $449. A camera with similar specs
today would be half that price or less.

By accident, the camera went through a cancer
radiation treatment room, and when it came out
the LCD screen was messed up. It actually seemed
to straighten itself out but the next trip through an
airport scanner finished it off. Now the camera
works fine and still takes good photos, but I can't
use the LCD menus, only the optical finder and the
physical push button controls.

I called Canon, but they refused to quote any price
for repair. I understand that, but they wouldn't
even tell me that repairs have cost anywhere from
X to Y for LCD repairs.

I'm reluctant to send it back, risking the travel,
the cost of shipment, and the loss of use for a
month, only to find that the charge for repair is
near the cost of an equal new camera.

Can anyone tell me what they paid for digital
camera repairs of any type? It will be useful
to hear any numbers at all for any kind of
repairs.

Thanks.

Ian Stirling 08-14-2004 04:58 PM

Re: Any estimates on cost of camera repair?

Alan Meyer <ameyer2@yahoo.com> wrote:
> I have a Canon S30 which I bought shortly after it
> came out for $449. A camera with similar specs
> today would be half that price or less.
>
> By accident, the camera went through a cancer
> radiation treatment room, and when it came out
> the LCD screen was messed up. It actually seemed
> to straighten itself out but the next trip through an
> airport scanner finished it off. Now the camera
> works fine and still takes good photos, but I can't
> use the LCD menus, only the optical finder and the
> physical push button controls.
>
> I called Canon, but they refused to quote any price
> for repair. I understand that, but they wouldn't
> even tell me that repairs have cost anywhere from
> X to Y for LCD repairs.

It may well not be an LCD repair.
You may have screwed up various bits of the internal electronics.
There is no way to find out without opening it up and trying to repair.

Paul H. 08-14-2004 05:07 PM

"Alan Meyer" <ameyer2@yahoo.com> wrote in message
><snip>

> Can anyone tell me what they paid for digital
> camera repairs of any type? It will be useful
> to hear any numbers at all for any kind of
> repairs.

Two years ago, about one month after its warranty expired, my Olympus
C-2100UZ experienced sudden-death-syndrome, a common and well-documented
problem caused by a single underrated resistor in the power supply
circuitry. The factory repair cost was about $280.00 and because I couldn't
replace a 10x zoom camera for anything approaching that figure at the time,
I had the work done.

Were I in your situation today, however, I'd buy a new camera. Good luck,
whatever you decide!

Alan Meyer 08-14-2004 05:28 PM

Re: Any estimates on cost of camera repair?

Thank you for your replies by newsgroup and/or email.

I've also been reading some other postings on camera
repair and from everyone's experience and advice I've
come to the following conclusions:

1. Camera repairs tend to be expensive.

2. They aren't always reliable. You can pay hundreds
of dollars for a repair and then find that the same problem
recurs a few months later. If so, you then face a
fight with the repair bureau and, at the very least,
another long period without a camera.

3. Warranties on repairs are typically shorter than
warranties on new cameras.

4. Even if everything works out, you're still left
with an old camera when new ones have more and
better features.

That last point wouldn't have been so big a factor
back in the film days, but with digital we seem to
see pretty significant advances every year or so.

As one responder by email pointed out, if I spend
the money on a new camera I'll have a new camera
plus a backup camera that still mostly works. If I
repair the old one I'll have an old camera.

So I guess I'll skip the repair.

Alan

grim 08-14-2004 08:55 PM

Re: Any estimates on cost of camera repair?

Most of today's electronics are built to be disposable. It's too bad, but
often when they break it's not worth repairing them. Throw them away and buy
a new one. Welcome to the 21st century of waste.

Bob Williams 08-14-2004 09:48 PM

Alan Meyer wrote:
> I have a Canon S30 which I bought shortly after it
> came out for $449. A camera with similar specs
> today would be half that price or less.
>
> By accident, the camera went through a cancer
> radiation treatment room, and when it came out
> the LCD screen was messed up. It actually seemed
> to straighten itself out but the next trip through an
> airport scanner finished it off. Now the camera
> works fine and still takes good photos, but I can't
> use the LCD menus, only the optical finder and the
> physical push button controls.
>
> I called Canon, but they refused to quote any price
> for repair. I understand that, but they wouldn't
> even tell me that repairs have cost anywhere from
> X to Y for LCD repairs.
>
> I'm reluctant to send it back, risking the travel,
> the cost of shipment, and the loss of use for a
> month, only to find that the charge for repair is
> near the cost of an equal new camera.
>
> Can anyone tell me what they paid for digital
> camera repairs of any type? It will be useful
> to hear any numbers at all for any kind of
> repairs.
>
> Thanks.

My experience with almost all electronics repairs is that they cost 1/2
of the price of a new unit. You pay major bucks for a repair and you
still have a used device with no warranty against something else going
wrong next month..
I would not consider having it repaired. Give or sell it to a less
fortunate friend or relative and pick up a new 3MP camera for about $250.
One man's opinion.....Bob Williams