Velocity Reviews

-   -   canon 18-55 or sigma 18-50 lens for 300d?? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t292742-canon-18-55-or-sigma-18-50-lens-for-300d.html)

Gareth Tuckwell 08-13-2004 07:22 PM

canon 18-55 or sigma 18-50 lens for 300d??

Would you recommend the standard kit Canon 18-55mm lens or the slightly
shorter Sigma 18-50mm lens for an EOS 300d?

Randall Ainsworth 08-14-2004 01:14 AM

Re: canon 18-55 or sigma 18-50 lens for 300d??

In article <4y8Tc.3248$cZ2.1966@newsfe2-gui.ntli.net>, Gareth Tuckwell
<ContactGT@NoSpam_hotmail.com> wrote:

> Would you recommend the standard kit Canon 18-55mm lens or the slightly
> shorter Sigma 18-50mm lens for an EOS 300d?

OEM is always preferred over anything with the Sigma name on it.

Mark B. 08-14-2004 12:35 PM

"Gareth Tuckwell" <ContactGT@NoSpam_hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Would you recommend the standard kit Canon 18-55mm lens or the slightly
> shorter Sigma 18-50mm lens for an EOS 300d?

Sigma has a 18-50mm f/2.8 EX lens coming out in September, should be much
better than the verion they have out now.

Mark

Big Bill 08-14-2004 04:32 PM

Re: canon 18-55 or sigma 18-50 lens for 300d??

On Fri, 13 Aug 2004 19:22:40 GMT, "Gareth Tuckwell"
<ContactGT@NoSpam_hotmail.com> wrote:

>Would you recommend the standard kit Canon 18-55mm lens or the slightly
>shorter Sigma 18-50mm lens for an EOS 300d?

When I was looking to get a new camera, I did a web search on problems
with the various cameras I was considering; you'll find problems with
all of them, as well as just plain 'buyer's remorse'.
With the Digital Rebel/300D, the main problem, the one that came up
the most, was Sigma lenses; they often just don't work, as Canon
updates firmware, Sigma is always a few steps behind. Error 99 is the
most common symprom.
Sigma *may* rechip, or they may not, depending on the lens involved.
I never figured it was worth the possible problems to buy a Sigma lens
for my DR.

Bill Funk
Change "g" to "a"

schuetzen - RKBA! 08-14-2004 07:48 PM

Gareth Tuckwell wrote:

>Would you recommend the standard kit Canon 18-55mm lens or the slightly
>shorter Sigma 18-50mm lens for an EOS 300d?

this is a non question in my mind. the choice of a Canon lens of whatever
quality is far better than the best Sigma line of lenses.

cheers

--
chas
The new Canon DSLR elist. no trolls, etc