Velocity Reviews

-   -   Nikon D70 RAW files question - Thanks. (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t292704-nikon-d70-raw-files-question-thanks.html)

Pat 08-12-2004 02:12 PM

Nikon D70 RAW files question - Thanks.

Hello Everybody,

I have been playing with the Nikon D70 RAW files to get the best
possible prints. I have some good prints from the pro film and I am
trying to get results closer to the film prints. I use a good pro lab
to get the digital prints.

In Nikon Capture 4 (or in camera), you can have:

Sharpening: Auto, -2 to +2, None (auto, normal,low, medium low,medium
high and high )
Tone comp: Auto, -2 to +2, Custom

1) I am intersted to know what kind of Sharpening and Tone settings
Nikon D70 users working with Nikon Capture 4 on RAW files prefer to
get good prints.

2) Also, what other parameters like while balance etc. you play with
before printing?

Will greatly appreciate your feedback.

Thanks,
Pat

Petr 08-12-2004 04:42 PM

Re: Nikon D70 RAW files question - Thanks.

It all varies from picture to picture, depending on what you are shooting.
Most of the time I have Sharpening +2, Tone Custom. Best idea is to find a
place that has a bit of everything, people, trees, grass, sky. clouds, etc
and experiment with the different settings until you get a result that you
like.
Cheers
Petr

news:c03bf2a4.0408120612.32335995@posting.google.c om...

Roland Karlsson 08-12-2004 05:20 PM

Re: Nikon D70 RAW files question - Thanks.

pat10036@yahoo.com (Pat) wrote in news:c03bf2a4.0408120612.32335995
@posting.google.com:

> 1) I am intersted to know what kind of Sharpening and Tone settings
> Nikon D70 users working with Nikon Capture 4 on RAW files prefer to
> get good prints.
>
> 2) Also, what other parameters like while balance etc. you play with
> before printing?

Hi - I will give you feedback, but slightly different than you asked for
:)

First - sharpening is wisest to apply last in a work flow.
So . the best thing is to choose minimum sharpening in the
RAW to RGB conversion. So -2 would be my choice. Then I would
use Photoshop (or whatever software you have) to sharpen as
the last step.

Personally I don't use any Nikon RAW editor, but this is what
I usually do to nearly all my pictures.

1. A combined cropping, leveling and restitution
to get the picture I want.
2. A combined levels and white balance.
This will ensure that white is white, gray is gray
and black is black.
3. Sharpening based upon edge sharpening.
4. Combined upscaling and printing in Qimage.

/Roland

Ed Ruf 08-13-2004 11:22 PM

Re: Nikon D70 RAW files question - Thanks.

On 12 Aug 2004 17:20:54 GMT, in rec.photo.digital Roland Karlsson
<roland_dot_karlsson@bonetmail.com> wrote:

>RAW to RGB conversion. So -2 would be my choice. Then I would
>use Photoshop (or whatever software you have) to sharpen as
>the last step.
>
>Personally I don't use any Nikon RAW editor, but this is what
>I usually do to nearly all my pictures.
>
>1. A combined cropping, leveling and restitution
> to get the picture I want.
>2. A combined levels and white balance.
> This will ensure that white is white, gray is gray
> and black is black.
>3. Sharpening based upon edge sharpening.
>4. Combined upscaling and printing in Qimage.

If you upscale in Qimage this violates your sharpen last step rule. Does
this also mean you doubly sharpen as by default Qimage does sharpening as
well? See under Print => Print Interpolation.
See images taken with my CP-990 and 5700 at
http://EdwardGRuf.com