Velocity Reviews

-   -   Lexar MultiCard Reader Problem (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t292568-lexar-multicard-reader-problem.html)

John Nichols 08-09-2004 03:50 AM

Lexar MultiCard Reader Problem

My wife recently purchased a Lexar Multicard Reader. She has not been able
to get her computer, (running Windows 98 SE) to recognize the card reader.
There was no software packaged with the reader, and she tried downloading a
driver from the Lexar website. Despite many attempts at installing the
driver, her computer refuses to recognize that there is a driver installed
on it, or even show that the driver is installed.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
bejay@att.net

Matt Ion 08-09-2004 06:21 AM

Re: Lexar MultiCard Reader Problem

She should make sure the USB ports are enabled (in the system BIOS) and that
USB support is installed (Win98 SE was the first version of Windoze to
support USB and drivers may not have been included for her particular
machine's USB hardware). Is she using any other USB devices successfully?

from the prejudices of their social environment. Most people are even
incapable of forming such opinions."
-- Albert Einstein

John Nichols 08-09-2004 01:59 PM

Re: Lexar MultiCard Reader Problem

She is. She's had no problems running other USB devices.

"Matt Ion" <soundy@moltenimage.com> wrote in message
> She should make sure the USB ports are enabled (in the system BIOS) and

that
> USB support is installed (Win98 SE was the first version of Windoze to
> support USB and drivers may not have been included for her particular
> machine's USB hardware). Is she using any other USB devices successfully?
>
> --
> "Few people are capable of expressing with equanimity opinions which

differ

Daniel W. Rouse Jr. 08-10-2004 07:09 PM

Re: Lexar MultiCard Reader Problem

I'm also using Win98SE with a VIA-based USB 2.0 add-on card installed in the
system.

The Lexar Media USB Multi Memory Card reader (part number RW018) I recently
purchased and installed did include a CD-ROM, and installed without error.

But even without a CD-ROM, you indicate a driver was downloaded, so try
this...

Connect the card reader directly to a USB port, rather than connecting the
card reader to a USB Hub. I had similar issues with two of my digital
cameras--I couldn't get them to be recognized by the OS using a USB Hub, so
I just went out and got the card reader instead and disconnected the hub
completely.

My guess is that it must be some sort of Win98SE limitation that Mass
Storage type devices can't communicate with the OS through a USB hub. But
even if my guess is wrong, the direct connect to the port should work,
provided that the driver download is for the correct card reader, of course.

Hope this helps.

Ken Weitzel 08-10-2004 07:27 PM

John Nichols wrote:
> My wife recently purchased a Lexar Multicard Reader. She has not been able
> to get her computer, (running Windows 98 SE) to recognize the card reader.
> There was no software packaged with the reader, and she tried downloading a
> driver from the Lexar website. Despite many attempts at installing the
> driver, her computer refuses to recognize that there is a driver installed
> on it, or even show that the driver is installed.
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> Thanks,
> bejay@att.net

Hi John...

I wonder if she might want to try windows/control panel/add
new hardware - let windows search for any new plug and play
hardware. Then if it isn't found, let it continue searching
for non plug and play stuff...

Another avenue might be... *right* click on my computer,
choose properties. Then device manager. Look at the usb
devices. If it's there, then look at it's properties.
It may tell you that the device is working properly even
if no device is installed. So, take a look at driver
file details. Then choose Update driver, let windows
search everywhere for a driver (or better driver)

Hope this helps.

Take care.
Ken

John Nichols 08-11-2004 12:13 AM

Re: Lexar MultiCard Reader Problem

Thanks, Ken and Daniel. I will pass both of these on to my wife.

Ken 08-11-2004 09:22 PM

Re: Lexar MultiCard Reader Problem

I had the same problem. Turns out, I have an HP printer that has a card
reader already in it. My computer won't recognize both at the same time,
just one or the other. Probably isn't your problem, but I thought I'd
pass this along just in case.