Velocity Reviews

-   -   Sipura retail? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t292315-sipura-retail.html)

me@privacy.net 05-12-2006 11:09 PM

Sipura retail?

I am looking to buy a Sipura ATA from a shop in London. Where? Thank
you.

me@privacy.net 05-13-2006 12:42 PM

Re: Sipura retail?

On Sat, 13 May 2006 00:09:25 +0100, me@privacy.net wrote:

>I am looking to buy a Sipura ATA from a shop in London. Where? Thank
>you.

Get a pap2 from Currys digital and unlock it. Only 19.99. RRP 50+

Ivor Jones 05-13-2006 04:12 PM

Re: Sipura retail?

<me@privacy.net> wrote in message
> On Sat, 13 May 2006 00:09:25 +0100, me@privacy.net wrote:
>
> > I am looking to buy a Sipura ATA from a shop in London.
> > Where? Thank you.

> Get a pap2 from Currys digital and unlock it. Only
> 19.99. RRP 50+

A PAP2 is not a Sipura. Ok it is in effect, but it isn't, if you know what
I mean. Besides, the OP didn't say which Sipura he wanted. The PAP2 is
effectively an SPA-2000 in different clothes, but it definitely isn't a
3000 or a 1001..!

Ivor

Brian A 05-13-2006 07:24 PM

Re: Sipura retail?

On Sat, 13 May 2006 13:42:44 +0100, me@privacy.net wrote:

>On Sat, 13 May 2006 00:09:25 +0100, me@privacy.net wrote:
>
>>I am looking to buy a Sipura ATA from a shop in London. Where? Thank
>>you.

>Get a pap2 from Currys digital and unlock it. Only 19.99. RRP 50+

There are risks doing this.
If you succeeed in unlocking I'd be interested in what method you
used. I know that it can be very risky - easy to end up with a
paperwieght!
Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.

Graham 05-13-2006 08:32 PM

Re: Sipura retail?

On the strength of a posting on this newsgroup I bought one a few weeks ago.

Five Minutes Googleing and I had detailed instructions

A further ten Minutes was required to get the two .bin files required

This was because Linksys (Ci$co) had threatened legal action to sites that
they found carrying them. I won't therefore provide a link here.

I will simply suggest you Google the filenames.bin when you discover what
they are called.

You also need a TFTP server running to upload to the PAP, I used the free
one from http://solarwinds.net/Download-Tools.htm

It was also suggested that if the PAP in its Vonage guise was exposed to the
Internet

it could somehow download a patch that would thwart your efforts so I didn't
take any chances and disconnected the phone line from the router.

Basically you upload the first file, log into the web interface, turn off
theVonage "provisioning" then upload the second file, which I suppose is the
clean pap2 version.

I suppose there was some risk; my main fear is the files may have been
planted to kill the ATA!

Thomas Kenyon 05-14-2006 02:17 AM

Re: Sipura retail?

Graham wrote:

> I suppose there was some risk; my main fear is the files may have been
> planted to kill the ATA!

You were lucky, this security hole was plugged a while back.

Tim 05-15-2006 01:13 PM

Re: Sipura retail?

Ivor Jones wrote:

> A PAP2 is not a Sipura. Ok it is in effect, but it isn't, if you know what
> I mean. Besides, the OP didn't say which Sipura he wanted. The PAP2 is
> effectively an SPA-2000 in different clothes, but it definitely isn't a
> 3000 or a 1001..!

There are some slight hardware differences between the PAP2 and Sipura-200x

Tim

Bert 05-15-2006 10:16 PM

Re: Sipura retail?

"Ivor Jones" <ivor@despammed.invalid> wrote in message

> <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
> > On Sat, 13 May 2006 00:09:25 +0100, me@privacy.net wrote:
> >
> > > I am looking to buy a Sipura ATA from a shop in London.
> > > Where? Thank you.

> > Get a pap2 from Currys digital and unlock it. Only
> > 19.99. RRP 50+

> A PAP2 is not a Sipura. Ok it is in effect, but it isn't, if you know what
> I mean. Besides, the OP didn't say which Sipura he wanted. The PAP2 is
> effectively an SPA-2000 in different clothes, but it definitely isn't a
> 3000 or a 1001..!
>
> Ivor

Ivor, is a SPA-1001 OK?? Was thinking of buying one.

Ivor Jones 05-16-2006 12:59 AM

Re: Sipura retail?

"Bert" <private@private76756.net> wrote in message
> "Ivor Jones" <ivor@despammed.invalid> wrote in message
> >

> > <me@privacy.net> wrote in message

> > > Get a pap2 from Currys digital and unlock it. Only
> > > 19.99. RRP 50+

> > A PAP2 is not a Sipura. Ok it is in effect, but it
> > isn't, if you know what I mean. Besides, the OP didn't
> > say which Sipura he wanted. The PAP2 is effectively an
> > SPA-2000 in different clothes, but it definitely isn't
> > a 3000 or a 1001..!
> >
> > Ivor

> Ivor, is a SPA-1001 OK?? Was thinking of buying one.

The 1001 has capacity for two SIP accounts but only one phone port. You
can select which account to dial out on by a prefix code and the phone
will ring with different ring cadences for each line, but obviously with
only one phone port you can only use one account at once, and I'm not
altogether sure what happens if you get an incoming call on line 2 while
you're on a call on line 1 etc., maybe someone with a 1001 can advise
further..? I have one coming as a spare and for travelling, but I haven't
got it yet so can't comment further.

Ivor

me@privacy.net 05-16-2006 12:58 PM

Re: Sipura retail?

On Sat, 13 May 2006 13:42:44 +0100, me@privacy.net wrote:

>>I am looking to buy a Sipura ATA from a shop in London. Where? Thank
>>you.

>Get a pap2 from Currys digital and unlock it. Only 19.99. RRP 50+

I don't want a PAP2, I want a Sipura 2100. Where can I buy one retail
please?