Velocity Reviews

-   -   Unbeatable Voiptalk offer? End of sipgate? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t292313-unbeatable-voiptalk-offer-end-of-sipgate.html)

ballylaxman@googlemail.com 05-12-2006 10:09 AM

Unbeatable Voiptalk offer? End of sipgate?

I bought the Evening Standard newspaper yesterday which came with a
booklet called Really Useful Directory. Voiptalk has an offer in there
which i signed up to. You get a free geo number, 2 credit and
voicemail. They advertise "no contract, no line rental, no monthly fee"
so i can only assume that it's completely free.

Sipgate do a free geo number and do not offer support so i can't see
how the voiptalk offer isn't a better offer, especially since they say
that they have a support line, although you do need to have made a
purchase apparently in order to take advantage of this.

Link is: http://www.voiptalk.org/reallyvoip

Bal

Jim 05-12-2006 10:20 AM

Re: Unbeatable Voiptalk offer? End of sipgate?

Many thanks - have signed up for this free offer :)

Ivor Jones 05-12-2006 10:21 AM

Re: Unbeatable Voiptalk offer? End of sipgate?

<ballylaxman@googlemail.com> wrote in message
news:1147428559.539858.204140@q12g2000cwa.googlegr oups.com

[snip]

> Sipgate do a free geo number and do not offer support so
> i can't see how the voiptalk offer isn't a better offer,
> especially since they say that they have a support line,
> although you do need to have made a purchase apparently
> in order to take advantage of this.

When you say Sipgate do not offer support, what do you mean..? They do,
but only by email; you did not say "no telephone support" so if that is
what you meant, please clarify.

Ivor

ballylaxman@googlemail.com 05-12-2006 10:37 AM

Re: Unbeatable Voiptalk offer? End of sipgate?

Ivor,

Sorry, how careless of me. Do you work for sipgate or something? From
my experience their email support leaves a lot to be desired as well.

Chris Davies 05-12-2006 11:40 AM

Re: Unbeatable Voiptalk offer? End of sipgate?

ballylaxman@googlemail.com wrote:
> Sipgate do a free geo number and do not offer support [...]

I've never had anything but good helpful advice from the folks on the
other end of Sipgate's email support address. They've even obliged when I
recently asked them to initiate a SIP Peering arrangement with a (fairly)
large UK ISP.

Chris

Ivor Jones 05-12-2006 11:59 AM

news:1147430243.842535.222580@j33g2000cwa.googlegr oups.com
> Ivor,
>
> Sorry, how careless of me. Do you work for sipgate or
> something? From my experience their email support leaves
> a lot to be desired as well.

No, I don't work for them but I have never had a major problem and those I
have had were quickly sorted.

Are you a mate of Dex or something..? You two would get along well.

Ivor

Thomas Kenyon 05-12-2006 12:41 PM

Re: Unbeatable Voiptalk offer? End of sipgate?

ballylaxman@googlemail.com wrote:
> Ivor,
>
> Sorry, how careless of me. Do you work for sipgate or something? From
> my experience their email support leaves a lot to be desired as well.

Either I've been lucky or you haven't.

Every time I've mailed them (which hasn't been many) I have had swift,
polite, clued and helpful responses.

Thomas Kenyon 05-12-2006 12:44 PM

Re: Unbeatable Voiptalk offer? End of sipgate?

ballylaxman@googlemail.com wrote:
> I bought the Evening Standard newspaper yesterday which came with a
> booklet called Really Useful Directory. Voiptalk has an offer in there
> which i signed up to. You get a free geo number, 2 credit and
> voicemail. They advertise "no contract, no line rental, no monthly fee"
> so i can only assume that it's completely free.

This normally costs 2/month from voiptalk, so it's a good offer.
One thing voiptalk have over sipgate is that you can have your incoming
calls terminated via IAX2 as well as SIP, although their management
interface is very basic.

Thomas Kenyon 05-12-2006 12:55 PM

Thomas Kenyon wrote:
> ballylaxman@googlemail.com wrote:
>> I bought the Evening Standard newspaper yesterday which came with a
>> booklet called Really Useful Directory. Voiptalk has an offer in there
>> which i signed up to. You get a free geo number, 2 credit and
>> voicemail. They advertise "no contract, no line rental, no monthly fee"
>> so i can only assume that it's completely free.
>>

> This normally costs 2/month from voiptalk, so it's a good offer.
> One thing voiptalk have over sipgate is that you can have your incoming
> calls terminated via IAX2 as well as SIP, although their management
> interface is very basic.

Well, in the time since I wrote that email, I have signed up, configured
it to work with IAX, configured it with asterisk and tested it.

Worked, and connection was very quick (rang on my deskphone before the
first ring noise came out of my mobile, and that includes delays caused
by things like running an AGI script before using Dial etc.).

Dave Saville 05-12-2006 01:35 PM

Re: Unbeatable Voiptalk offer? End of sipgate?

Anyone tried logging into their new account other than by the link in the
registration email?

The "my account" and "top up" buttons do nothing on both firefox & mozilla.

www.voiptalk.org/login.php works though.

Don't tell me - "It works in IE" splutter :-(

--

Regards

Dave Saville