Velocity Reviews

-   -   Online/HTML documentation for Std Lib (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t290952-online-html-documentation-for-std-lib.html)

egoebel 05-10-2005 04:11 PM

Online/HTML documentation for Std Lib

Hi,

I would like to have a decent set of HTML docs for the entire Standard
C++ Library, as opposed to STL-only docs like the pages at SGI. I've
been using the MSDN docs but,...ugh...I'm sure I don't have to explain
why they stink.

Does this exist?

Pavel Vozenilek 05-10-2005 04:26 PM

Re: Online/HTML documentation for Std Lib

"egoebel" wrote:

> I would like to have a decent set of HTML docs for the entire Standard
> C++ Library, as opposed to STL-only docs like the pages at SGI. I've
> been using the MSDN docs but,...ugh...I'm sure I don't have to explain
> why they stink.

http://www.dinkumware.com/refxcpp.html

/Pavel

Phlip 05-10-2005 05:40 PM

Pavel Vozenilek wrote:

> "egoebel" wrote:
>
> > I would like to have a decent set of HTML docs for the entire Standard
> > C++ Library, as opposed to STL-only docs like the pages at SGI. I've
> > been using the MSDN docs but,...ugh...I'm sure I don't have to explain
> > why they stink.

> http://www.dinkumware.com/refxcpp.html

I'm sure we don't have to explain why these stink too.

They are too terse to be useful. They are just the ISO definitions of each
method, printed out like a reference. Here's 'cout':

cout
extern ostream cout;
The object controls insertions to the standard output as a byte stream.

To actually beat use out of 'cout', a novice would need complete examples.

--
Phlip
http://www.c2.com/cgi/wiki?ZeekLand

Pavel Vozenilek 05-10-2005 06:06 PM

"Phlip" wrote:

>> > I would like to have a decent set of HTML docs for the entire Standard
>> > C++ Library, as opposed to STL-only docs like the pages at SGI. I've
>> > been using the MSDN docs but,...ugh...I'm sure I don't have to explain
>> > why they stink.

>> http://www.dinkumware.com/refxcpp.html

> I'm sure we don't have to explain why these stink too.
>
> They are too terse to be useful. They are just the ISO definitions of each
> method, printed out like a reference. Here's 'cout':
>
> cout
> extern ostream cout;
> The object controls insertions to the standard output as a byte stream.
>
> To actually beat use out of 'cout', a novice would need complete examples.

Hmm. Detailed complete examples are scattered around the web.
Either that or a book.

/Pavel

Pete Becker 05-10-2005 06:07 PM

Phlip wrote:
> Pavel Vozenilek wrote:
>

>>http://www.dinkumware.com/refxcpp.html

> I'm sure we don't have to explain why these stink too.
>
> They are too terse to be useful. They are just the ISO definitions of each
> method, printed out like a reference. Here's 'cout':
>
> cout
> extern ostream cout;
> The object controls insertions to the standard output as a byte stream.
>
> To actually beat use out of 'cout', a novice would need complete examples.

Sigh. The first step for using any reference material is to look it over
so that you understand its organization and its target audience. You're
right that our documentation isn't written for novices. You're wrong
that it stinks. Your description is quite misleading; I won't speculate
on whether that's from malice or ignorance. There's far more descriptive
information than in the ISO standard. On the other hand, in many cases
it's deliberately terse, because that's all that's needed. If you read
what our documentation says about "standard output", "byte stream", and
you'll know exactly what that description of cout means. Finding the
descriptions of those terms isn't hard: they're hot links in the
descriptive text that you quoted, although for some reason you didn't
mention that.

--

Pete Becker

egoebel 05-10-2005 06:09 PM

Phlip wrote:
> Pavel Vozenilek wrote:
> >
> > "egoebel" wrote:
> >
> > > I would like to have a decent set of HTML docs for the entire

Standard
> > > C++ Library, as opposed to STL-only docs like the pages at SGI.

I've
> > > been using the MSDN docs but,...ugh...I'm sure I don't have to

explain
> > > why they stink.

> > http://www.dinkumware.com/refxcpp.html

> I'm sure we don't have to explain why these stink too.
>
> They are too terse to be useful. They are just the ISO definitions of

each
> method, printed out like a reference. Here's 'cout':
>
> cout
> extern ostream cout;
> The object controls insertions to the standard output as a byte

stream.

> To actually beat use out of 'cout', a novice would need complete

examples.

Examples isn't really what I am looking for. I'm looking for something
like doxygen (or javadoc). A reference with hyperlinks between
different types and so forth.

I'm tempted to try running doxygen against VC++ or one of my Linux
systems, but it would be nice if someone or some vendor had a site that
was laready "clenaed up."

egoebel 05-10-2005 06:53 PM

Pete Becker wrote:
> Phlip wrote:
> > Pavel Vozenilek wrote:
> >

> >>http://www.dinkumware.com/refxcpp.html

> > I'm sure we don't have to explain why these stink too.
> >
> > They are too terse to be useful. They are just the ISO definitions

of each
> > method, printed out like a reference. Here's 'cout':
> >
> > cout
> > extern ostream cout;
> > The object controls insertions to the standard output as a byte

stream.

> > To actually beat use out of 'cout', a novice would need complete

examples.

> Sigh. The first step for using any reference material is to look it

over
> so that you understand its organization and its target audience.

You're
> right that our documentation isn't written for novices. You're wrong
> that it stinks. Your description is quite misleading; I won't

speculate
> on whether that's from malice or ignorance. There's far more

descriptive
> information than in the ISO standard. On the other hand, in many

cases
> it's deliberately terse, because that's all that's needed. If you

read
> what our documentation says about "standard output", "byte stream",

and
> you'll know exactly what that description of cout means. Finding the
> descriptions of those terms isn't hard: they're hot links in the
> descriptive text that you quoted, although for some reason you didn't

> mention that.

Actually I took another look at Dinkumware's documentation. It's pretty
close to what I am looking for.

Phlip 05-10-2005 07:17 PM

egoebel wrote:

> Actually I took another look at Dinkumware's documentation. It's pretty
> close to what I am looking for.

My bad. Sorry Pete. I thought MSDN's was the same.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en...asp?frame=true

Now that has an example of std::vector::push_back().

And it doesn't even use 'void main'!!!

Do you suppose Herb S. is actually working for a living? ;-)