Velocity Reviews

-   -   Lexicographic ordering of punctuation marks (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t290145-lexicographic-ordering-of-punctuation-marks.html)

masood.iqbal@lycos.com 04-13-2005 07:34 AM

Lexicographic ordering of punctuation marks

What is the standard C/C++ lexicograhic ordering of punctuation
characters with respect to each other and the alphanumeric characters?

--Masood

Keith Thompson 04-13-2005 08:32 AM

Re: Lexicographic ordering of punctuation marks

masood.iqbal@lycos.com writes:
> What is the standard C/C++ lexicograhic ordering of punctuation
> characters with respect to each other and the alphanumeric characters?

There is none. C requires the digits '0' through '9' to be
consecutive; everything else is implementation-specific.

Peter Koch Larsen 04-13-2005 09:20 AM

<masood.iqbal@lycos.com> skrev i en meddelelse
news:1113377668.095394.53200@o13g2000cwo.googlegro ups.com...
> What is the standard C/C++ lexicograhic ordering of punctuation
> characters with respect to each other and the alphanumeric characters?
>
> --Masood

There is none. Ordering depends on the locale used and will vary from
country to country. For the standard C-locale, my guess is that the ordering
depends on the underlying character set. For ASCII and related codepages, it
will most likely be numerical order.

/Peter