Velocity Reviews

-   Microsoft Certification (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/f24-microsoft-certification.html)
-   -   New Certifications Are A Joke! (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t28845-new-certifications-are-a-joke.html)

=?Utf-8?B?U0FN?= 01-06-2006 09:11 AM

New Certifications Are A Joke!

So, I've worked faithfully to earn my MCSA and MCDBA certifications and in a
year they will be as meaningful as the IBM 360. The thing that suxs the most
is that some newbie is going to come along and pass 2 exams and have the
equivalent of what I did. The MCSE is SEVEN exams! Now that proves
something. This new certification track is stupid and unfair.

T-Bone 01-06-2006 02:51 PM

Re: New Certifications Are A Joke!

"SAM" <SAM@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
> So, I've worked faithfully to earn my MCSA and MCDBA certifications and in
> year they will be as meaningful as the IBM 360. The thing that suxs the
> most
> is that some newbie is going to come along and pass 2 exams and have the
> equivalent of what I did. The MCSE is SEVEN exams! Now that proves
> something. This new certification track is stupid and unfair.

Yep. Actually, the more frustrating part is that even MCSE has become such a
joke that many companies are now requiring it for entry level positions.
Which is why MS is changing the certification process for the next version
of Windows.
--
T-Bone
MCNGP XL

J. Clarke 01-06-2006 03:21 PM

SAM wrote:

> So, I've worked faithfully to earn my MCSA and MCDBA certifications and in
> year they will be as meaningful as the IBM 360. The thing that suxs the
> most is that some newbie is going to come along and pass 2 exams and have
> the
> equivalent of what I did. The MCSE is SEVEN exams! Now that proves
> something. This new certification track is stupid and unfair.

What 2 exams make one the "equivalent" of an MCSE? The exams for Vista,
which is the first OS for which the new track will be in force, do not
appear to have been announced.

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate

JP Breton 01-06-2006 03:52 PM

Re: New Certifications Are A Joke!

Where did you see those info?

=?Utf-8?B?U0FN?= 01-06-2006 04:39 PM

Re: New Certifications Are A Joke!

I'm referring to SQL Server. Was 4 exams, is now 2. Like a DBA doesn't need
to know about design AND development. That's just the db side of it....a
good dba knows the design and development of applications, dbs, and networks!

JP Breton 01-06-2006 05:04 PM

Re: New Certifications Are A Joke!

If I understant correctly,

To become a MCTS on SQL 2005 http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mcp/mcts/sql/
you need to pass 1 exam.
I think that MCTS is a little bit the equivalent to an MCP on SQL 2000, you
need to pass 1 exam.

Now, after that there is the MCITP :
http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mcp/mcitp/dbadmin/ where you need to take
3 exam to be certified only on Database Administrator

If you want to acheive Database Developper (Developer) :
http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mcp/mcitp/dbdev/ you need to take
different exam.

I think that the new exam will be more focus on the product itself rather
than a whole range of product.

Remember that to acheive MCDBA on SQL 2000 you need to pass 4 exams, on
those 2 exam, you can actually take any windows 2003 exam...

JP

J. Clarke 01-06-2006 07:07 PM

SAM wrote:

> I'm referring to SQL Server. Was 4 exams, is now 2. Like a DBA doesn't
> need
> to know about design AND development. That's just the db side of it....a
> good dba knows the design and development of applications, dbs, and
> networks!

It appears to have escaped your notice that there is a new level of cert
that requires approximately fourteen exams and proof of relevant experience
and an interview. The one that you're on about is part of the background
required for the high level certs.

=?Utf-8?B?U2Vhbg==?= 01-12-2006 03:23 AM

Re: New Certifications Are A Joke!

right..I think the DB side is much improved now actually.

DB: intel
DB: Admin
DB: Designer

Where I think you guys got shafted in the past is that MCDBA to me implies
Adminstration only but clearly the exams say otherwise.

I think the new certs are better served for DB guys and I (MCAD) am
currently looking to get the low level SQL becuase I am tired of interviews
related to my SQL skills.