Velocity Reviews

-   -   newbie question about eclipse perspective... (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t286292-newbie-question-about-eclipse-perspective.html)

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Martin_J=F8rgensen?= 05-10-2006 08:27 PM

newbie question about eclipse perspective...

Hi,

I just downloaded eclipse with the CDT (c/c++ extension) and now I can
compile programs using makefiles. That's great...

But when I debug I guess it calls the gdb-debugger and when it returns
it keeps bringing me a dialog box which says: "Confirm Perspective
Switch" in the heading and "! This kind of launch is configured to open
the C/C++ perspective when it suspends. Do you want to open this
perspective now?"

Ofcourse I could just answer "no" and "remember this setting", but where
is this set up in the program?

Best regards / Med venlig hilsen
Martin Jørgensen

Home of Martin Jørgensen - http://www.martinjoergensen.dk

Oliver Wong 05-10-2006 08:51 PM

Re: newbie question about eclipse perspective...

"Martin Jørgensen" <unoder.spam@spam.jay.net> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I just downloaded eclipse with the CDT (c/c++ extension) and now I can
> compile programs using makefiles. That's great...
>
> But when I debug I guess it calls the gdb-debugger and when it returns it
> keeps bringing me a dialog box which says: "Confirm Perspective Switch" in
> the heading and "! This kind of launch is configured to open the C/C++
> perspective when it suspends. Do you want to open this perspective now?"
>
> Ofcourse I could just answer "no" and "remember this setting", but where
> is this set up in the program?

Probably somewhere in Windows->Preferences. I don't have the CDT plugin,
so I can't give you an exact location, but when you open
Windows->Preference, you'll see a textbox with the contents "type filter
text". Type in something there like "CDT" or "C/C++" and you'll only see the
preferences related to CDT, which will narrow down your search.

- Oliver

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Martin_J=F8rgensen?= 05-10-2006 09:37 PM

Oliver Wong wrote:

> "Martin Jørgensen" <unoder.spam@spam.jay.net> wrote in message
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I just downloaded eclipse with the CDT (c/c++ extension) and now I can
>> compile programs using makefiles. That's great...
>>
>> But when I debug I guess it calls the gdb-debugger and when it returns
>> it keeps bringing me a dialog box which says: "Confirm Perspective
>> Switch" in the heading and "! This kind of launch is configured to
>> open the C/C++ perspective when it suspends. Do you want to open this
>> perspective now?"
>>
>> Ofcourse I could just answer "no" and "remember this setting", but
>> where is this set up in the program?

> Probably somewhere in Windows->Preferences. I don't have the CDT
> plugin, so I can't give you an exact location, but when you open
> Windows->Preference, you'll see a textbox with the contents "type filter
> text". Type in something there like "CDT" or "C/C++" and you'll only see
> the preferences related to CDT, which will narrow down your search.

Thanks a lot for the hint...

I found it, but I still have a problem. Perhaps you can see it too under
Windows -> Preferences -> Run/Debug -> Option 3 or 4 from the top. It
says: "Activate the debug view when a breakpoint is hit". I have that
box marked... Below it says: "Open the associated perspective when an
application suspends". And here it is (I found out by experimenting)...
I had it on "prompt" before. If I put it on never, it doesn't asks me again.

But actually I would like to have it on "Always" if I could just change
the associated perspective to "Debug"... I even tried to do that under
General -> Perspectives -> "Debug" is now default... But it still
doesn't work. Somehow C/C++ is associated.

I tried to close all perspectives and start them again... Yet I get:
"!This kind of launch is configured to open the C/C++ perspective when
it suspends. Do you want to open this perspective now?"

Anyone knows how to do it - make "Debug" the associated perspective?

Oliver Wong 05-10-2006 09:52 PM

> Oliver Wong wrote:
>>
>> "Martin Jørgensen" <unoder.spam@spam.jay.net> wrote in message
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I just downloaded eclipse with the CDT (c/c++ extension) and now I can
>>> compile programs using makefiles. That's great...
>>>
>>> But when I debug I guess it calls the gdb-debugger and when it returns
>>> it keeps bringing me a dialog box which says: "Confirm Perspective
>>> Switch" in the heading and "! This kind of launch is configured to open
>>> the C/C++ perspective when it suspends. Do you want to open this
>>> perspective now?"
>>>
>>> Ofcourse I could just answer "no" and "remember this setting", but where
>>> is this set up in the program?

>> Probably somewhere in Windows->Preferences. I don't have the CDT
>> plugin, so I can't give you an exact location, but when you open
>> Windows->Preference, you'll see a textbox with the contents "type filter
>> text". Type in something there like "CDT" or "C/C++" and you'll only see
>> the preferences related to CDT, which will narrow down your search.

> Thanks a lot for the hint...
>
> I found it, but I still have a problem. Perhaps you can see it too under
> Windows -> Preferences -> Run/Debug -> Option 3 or 4 from the top. It
> says: "Activate the debug view when a breakpoint is hit". I have that box
> marked... Below it says: "Open the associated perspective when an
> application suspends". And here it is (I found out by experimenting)... I
> had it on "prompt" before. If I put it on never, it doesn't asks me again.
>
> But actually I would like to have it on "Always" if I could just change
> the associated perspective to "Debug"... I even tried to do that under
> General -> Perspectives -> "Debug" is now default... But it still doesn't
> work. Somehow C/C++ is associated.
>
> I tried to close all perspectives and start them again... Yet I get:
> "!This kind of launch is configured to open the C/C++ perspective when it
> suspends. Do you want to open this perspective now?"
>
> Anyone knows how to do it - make "Debug" the associated perspective?

I suspect you cannot do that. Your best bet would be to write to the
developers of CDT asking for them to add in this option. Get an account on
Eclipse's newsserver (see http://www.eclipse.org/newsgroups/), then post to
eclipse.tools.cdt.

- Oliver

ducnbyu@aol.com 05-10-2006 10:46 PM

Re: newbie question about eclipse perspective...

Are you able to manually switch the perspective to debug with
Window/Open Perspective/Other.../Debug?

IchBin 05-10-2006 11:30 PM

ducnbyu@aol.com wrote:
> Are you able to manually switch the perspective to debug with
> Window/Open Perspective/Other.../Debug?

If you want to debug perspective then right click on your program and
the select "Debug as..." The Debug perspective automatically opens. It
should stay opened and you just have to click on the perspective tab or
what other perspective you have open at the same time in the Tabs to
move back and forth.

--

Thanks in Advance...
IchBin, Pocono Lake, Pa, USA

-William E. Taylor, Regular Guy (1952-)

Oliver Wong 05-11-2006 02:24 PM

"IchBin" <weconsul@ptd.net> wrote in message
> ducnbyu@aol.com wrote:
>> Are you able to manually switch the perspective to debug with
>> Window/Open Perspective/Other.../Debug?
>>

> If you want to debug perspective then right click on your program and the
> select "Debug as..." The Debug perspective automatically opens. It should
> stay opened and you just have to click on the perspective tab or what
> other perspective you have open at the same time in the Tabs to move back
> and forth.

The debug perspective will only open when you select "Debug As..." if
you said "Yes" to the first time when Eclipse asked "Do you always want to
switch to the debug perspective when debugging?" and checked the "Never ask
me again" box.

If you said "No", then the way to access the debugging perspective is to
use the menu "Window->Open Perspective->Other..." then in the list, select
the Debug perspective.

- Oliver

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Martin_J=F8rgensen?= 05-11-2006 09:31 PM

ducnbyu@aol.com wrote:
> Are you able to manually switch the perspective to debug with
> Window/Open Perspective/Other.../Debug?

Yes.

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Martin_J=F8rgensen?= 05-11-2006 09:43 PM

Oliver Wong wrote:

> "IchBin" <weconsul@ptd.net> wrote in message
>
>> ducnbyu@aol.com wrote:
>>
>>> Are you able to manually switch the perspective to debug with
>>> Window/Open Perspective/Other.../Debug?
>>>

>> If you want to debug perspective then right click on your program and
>> the select "Debug as..." The Debug perspective automatically opens.

What exactly do you mean by "right-clicking the program"? I can't
right-click and select debug as anywhere, I think.

>> It should stay opened and you just have to click on the perspective
>> tab or what other perspective you have open at the same time in the
>> Tabs to move back and forth.

It stays open and doesn't bug me if I disabled the "suspend prompt".
This "suspend prompt" is apparently enabled by default. But my problem
isn't big - I can just disable it.

> The debug perspective will only open when you select "Debug As..." if
> you said "Yes" to the first time when Eclipse asked "Do you always want
> to switch to the debug perspective when debugging?" and checked the
> "Never ask me again" box.

I can't remember if it asked this.

> If you said "No", then the way to access the debugging perspective is
> to use the menu "Window->Open Perspective->Other..." then in the list,
> select the Debug perspective.

I usually just click on the "Debug"-perspective in the top right corner
next to where the C/C++-icon is, but that should be the same - at least
the result is.

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Martin_J=F8rgensen?= 05-11-2006 09:52 PM

Re: newbie question about eclipse perspective...

Oliver Wong wrote:
-snip-

Oh yes, another thing: I can't see any variables in the "Variables"
view... And the "Registers" view is empty too... Normally in other
debuggers I've seen that the variables that are current in scope is
displayed in the "Variables" view... But perhaps I'm doing something wrong?