Velocity Reviews

-   -   How to generate UML for C++ code in windows system? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t286080-how-to-generate-uml-for-c-code-in-windows-system.html)

jin zhang 10-07-2004 01:03 AM

How to generate UML for C++ code in windows system?

I am debugging somebody else's code, it is too hard to read it without any
doc.
Are there any UML generater which can work on windows that I can use?
Please help.

Thank you .

Peter van Merkerk 10-07-2004 08:37 AM

Re: How to generate UML for C++ code in windows system?

jin zhang wrote:
> I am debugging somebody else's code, it is too hard to read it without any
> doc.
> Are there any UML generater which can work on windows that I can use?

Doxygen (www.doxygen.org) in combination with graphviz
(www.graphviz.org) can generate nice documentation with class and
collaboration graphs from C++ source code.

Also many UML tools have a reverse engineering feature, though
personally I prefer Doxygen for this kind of thing.
--
Peter van Merkerk
peter.van.merkerk(at)dse.nl

Robby De Smedt 10-08-2004 06:23 AM

Peter van Merkerk wrote:

> jin zhang wrote:
>> I am debugging somebody else's code, it is too hard to read it without

any
>> doc.
>> Are there any UML generater which can work on windows that I can use?

> Doxygen (www.doxygen.org) in combination with graphviz
> (www.graphviz.org) can generate nice documentation with class and
> collaboration graphs from C++ source code.

Thanks it is a great tool for generating documentation from my c++ source
files.

Matt 11-28-2004 08:03 PM

Re: How to generate UML for C++ code in windows system?

On Thu, 07 Oct 2004 10:37:08 +0200, Peter van Merkerk
>Doxygen (www.doxygen.org) in combination with graphviz
>(www.graphviz.org) can generate nice documentation with class and
>collaboration graphs from C++ source code.

I will be looking to set this up in the near future. I do not yet
seen any references for setup instructions for such a combination
"doxygen + graphviz". Does anyone have any pointers for such a thing?
If not, I'm hoping it will be easy for me to pick up.

I am hoping to generate overall UML-based class diagrams that describe
my various C++ code bases.

Thanks for any help,
-Matt

Matt 11-29-2004 01:33 AM

Re: How to generate UML for C++ code in windows system?

On Sun, 28 Nov 2004 14:03:20 -0600, Matt
<matt@downwithspammers-mengland.net> wrote:

>On Thu, 07 Oct 2004 10:37:08 +0200, Peter van Merkerk
>>Doxygen (www.doxygen.org) in combination with graphviz
>>(www.graphviz.org) can generate nice documentation with class and
>>collaboration graphs from C++ source code.

>I will be looking to set this up in the near future. I do not yet
>seen any references for setup instructions for such a combination
>"doxygen + graphviz". Does anyone have any pointers for such a thing?

To answer my own question:

One must install graphviz per their install instructions (I did so on
a WinXP system using the Windows binaries...I wasn't sure whether or
not to put the "thirdparty" stuff in, but I did so right on top of the
graphviz install dirs).

Then one must set the appropriate DOT* variables in the Doxyfile
config file, namely the HAVE_DOT variable. 'dot' or 'dot.exe' is
found in the graphviz distribution. Put dot.exe's path in the system
PATH variable on Windows (alternative, point DOT_PATH to the to this
same path...but I could not get this to work).

After doing all this I was able to make some nice graphs. There are
other Doxyfile config settings/variables that can produce more or less
graphical stuff.

-Matt