Velocity Reviews

-   -   How to make a C++ array which have size bigger than 32767 (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t285826-how-to-make-a-c-array-which-have-size-bigger-than-32767-a.html)

Andi Tse 09-23-2004 01:43 PM

How to make a C++ array which have size bigger than 32767

I found it is not work when I access myarray[32768]. Thx.

Thomas Matthews 09-23-2004 01:49 PM

Re: How to make a C++ array which have size bigger than 32767

Andi Tse wrote:
> I found it is not work when I access myarray[32768]. Thx.

Show your code.

What is the array type?

There is a big difference in size of an array between
an array of char and an array of float or a large class.

Have you tried allocating using operator new?

Have you checked your compiler documents to see if there
is a limit to the quantity of elements in an array?

Have you checked your compiler documentation to see if
there is a size restriction for an array declared as
auto?

--
Thomas Matthews

C++ newsgroup welcome message:
http://www.slack.net/~shiva/welcome.txt
alt.comp.lang.learn.c-c++ faq:
Other sites:

William Payne 09-23-2004 01:51 PM

"Andi Tse" wrote:
>I found it is not work when I access myarray[32768]. Thx.

Hi Andi, not a very informative post. Sounds to me like you're trying to
create a very large array on the stack, and that won't work because the
stack relatively very small.
Try dynamic allocation, i.e., using new. For example:
char* foo = new char[some_big_integer_constant];
Don't forget to deallocate with a corresponding call to delete [].
Or you could use one of the many containers provided by the STL.

/ WP

PKH 09-23-2004 07:31 PM

"Andi Tse" <tomoya_mikami@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:bf11713f.0409230543.3b94cd49@posting.google.c om...
>I found it is not work when I access myarray[32768]. Thx.

Maybe you are using 16 bits int's to access it ? If you switch to unsigned
int's you can access up to 65535, or switch to 32-bits unsigned integers
(dword) where the limit is 2^32 - 1 which is > 4.2 billion.
Just guessing .

PKH

Vaclav Haisman 09-24-2004 06:07 AM

Re: How to make a C++ array which have size bigger than 32767

....or maybe you are using Borland C++ 3.1? If so you should really switch to
something better.

VH