Velocity Reviews

-   -   Need help!! (Compiling in KDevelop) (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t283963-need-help-compiling-in-kdevelop.html)

Mike Wahler 06-23-2004 09:25 PM

Re: [OT, welcome msg, redirect] Need help!! (Compiling in KDevelop)

"Silvan Villiger" <vsilvan@stud.phys.ethz.ch> wrote in message
> Hi all,
>
> I'm new to linux and tried to use KDevelop 3.0, but I have no idea about
> how to deal with the automake-stuff. I don't know if this is the right
> newsgroup for my problem,

It's not.

> but I decided to try it :-).

Instead of 'trying it' you should have checked out what
the group's topic is first. See:
http://www.slack.net/~shiva/welcome.txt

You can use Google to find out if there are newsgroups,
mailing lists, or other online support resources for
KDevelop.

-Mike

Silvan Villiger 06-24-2004 12:13 AM

Need help!! (Compiling in KDevelop)

Hi all,

I'm new to linux and tried to use KDevelop 3.0, but I have no idea about
how to deal with the automake-stuff. I don't know if this is the right
newsgroup for my problem, but I decided to try it :-). Lets assume to
have a simple program like: a hello_world.cpp with a function printing
"hello world" to std::cout, a hello_world.h with the
function-declaration and a run.cpp with a main-function calling the
hello_world-function.
Which plugin do I have to take in the "create project wizard"? Always
"simple hello world program"? The wizard created a src dir with a .cpp
in it. So I created the second .cpp and the hello_world.h in the src dir
too. In the Automake Manager I have a "tree" showing src in the upper
half, and a "Header in noinst" & "hello_world (Program in bin)" - Folder
in the lower half. The header was automaticly in the "Header in noinst"
field, I added the second .cpp to the "hello_world"-field. When I now
press on "Build Project" he can compile everything and creates 2 .o
files in a /debug - dir, but he does not link them. How can I tell the
automake manager to link my .o files automatically? Pleas help me - I
dont get any further.. If I right-klick on the hello_world target in the
lower half of the automake manager there are error messages of missing
deklarations and if i try to run the programm in debugger he tells me
that I specified no executable (Jeah, I didnt, because I dont even know
wheter I have one :-), neither where to specify it).

Thank you for helping me!

Markus Dehmann 06-24-2004 02:19 AM

"Mike Wahler" <mkwahler@mkwahler.net> wrote in message news:<azmCc.15431$Wr.11185@newsread1.news.pas.eart hlink.net>...
> "Silvan Villiger" <vsilvan@stud.phys.ethz.ch> wrote in message
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I'm new to linux and tried to use KDevelop 3.0, but I have no idea about
> > how to deal with the automake-stuff. I don't know if this is the right
> > newsgroup for my problem,

> It's not.
>
> > but I decided to try it :-).

> Instead of 'trying it' you should have checked out what
> the group's topic is first. See:
> http://www.slack.net/~shiva/welcome.txt
>
> You can use Google to find out if there are newsgroups,
> mailing lists, or other online support resources for
> KDevelop.

For example these two newsgroups:
comp.windows.x.kde
comp.os.linux.development.apps

Steven T. Hatton 06-24-2004 05:30 AM

Re: Need help!! (Compiling in KDevelop)

Silvan Villiger wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm new to linux and tried to use KDevelop 3.0, but I have no idea about
> how to deal with the automake-stuff. I don't know if this is the right
> newsgroup for my problem, but I decided to try it :-). Lets assume to
> have a simple program like: a hello_world.cpp with a function printing
> "hello world" to std::cout, a hello_world.h with the
> function-declaration and a run.cpp with a main-function calling the
> hello_world-function.
> Which plugin do I have to take in the "create project wizard"? Always
> "simple hello world program"? The wizard created a src dir with a .cpp
> in it. So I created the second .cpp and the hello_world.h in the src dir
> too. In the Automake Manager I have a "tree" showing src in the upper
> half, and a "Header in noinst" & "hello_world (Program in bin)" - Folder
> in the lower half. The header was automaticly in the "Header in noinst"
> field, I added the second .cpp to the "hello_world"-field. When I now
> press on "Build Project" he can compile everything and creates 2 .o
> files in a /debug - dir, but he does not link them. How can I tell the
> automake manager to link my .o files automatically? Pleas help me - I
> dont get any further.. If I right-klick on the hello_world target in the
> lower half of the automake manager there are error messages of missing
> deklarations and if i try to run the programm in debugger he tells me
> that I specified no executable (Jeah, I didnt, because I dont even know
> wheter I have one :-), neither where to specify it).
>
> Thank you for helping me!

No this is not the best place to go for help. Try the www.kdevelop.org
There are mailing lists, and forums linked there. It sounds like you
should to go to the users mailing list. Warning: the automake stuff is not
in the best of shape in general. The (autotools) documentation is in need
of updating, and the KDevelop documentation is in need of creation. If you
don't get help the first time you post, Give it a day or so, and the
whine. ;-)
--
STH
Hatton's Law: "There is only One inviolable Law"