Velocity Reviews

-   -   The Big Three (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t277071-the-big-three.html)

Dave Theese 08-25-2003 11:50 PM

The Big Three

Hello all,

Could someone that is in-the-know please explain what the intended use is of
the three newsgroups shown below? I realize, of course, that all are forums
for discussing C++, but what is the *difference* between the three?

comp.lang.c++
comp.lang.c++.moderated
comp.std.c++

Thank you,
Dave

P.S. As long as I'm posting, are there other mainstream newsgroups that are
dedicated to discussions of *standard* C++?

Mike Wahler 08-25-2003 11:53 PM

Re: The Big Three

Dave Theese <cheeser_1998@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> Hello all,
>
> Could someone that is in-the-know please explain what the intended use is

of
> the three newsgroups shown below? I realize, of course, that all are

forums
> for discussing C++, but what is the *difference* between the three?
>
> comp.lang.c++

Discussion of C++ as defined by ISO.

> comp.lang.c++.moderated

Same as comp.lang.c++ but moderated.

> comp.std.c++

Discussion of the ISO standard itself.

-Mike

Kevin Goodsell 08-26-2003 12:53 AM

Re: The Big Three

Dave Theese wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> Could someone that is in-the-know please explain what the intended use is of
> the three newsgroups shown below? I realize, of course, that all are forums
> for discussing C++, but what is the *difference* between the three?

Actually, that's not quite true.

> comp.lang.c++

Used for discussion of the C++ language and library, as defined by the
C++ standard.

> comp.lang.c++.moderated

Moderated form of the above. Lower traffic. A human moderator
pre-approves every message before it is allowed to reach the group. This
makes it slower than a non-moderated group.

> comp.std.c++

Used for discussion of the C++ standard itself, meaning the actual
standard document. Interpretations of passages, discussion of defects,
suggestions for additions, etc.

> Thank you,
> Dave
>
> P.S. As long as I'm posting, are there other mainstream newsgroups that are
> dedicated to discussions of *standard* C++?

alt.comp.lang.learn.c-c++ comes to mind. There are also numerous
incarnations of comp.lang.c++ for other (spoken) languages. But
basically this is the place.

-Kevin

jeffc 08-26-2003 01:47 PM

Re: The Big Three

"Dave Theese" <cheeser_1998@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> P.S. As long as I'm posting, are there other mainstream newsgroups that

are
> dedicated to discussions of *standard* C++?

alt.comp.lang.learn.c-c++