Velocity Reviews

-   -   Re: signal BUS (invalid address alignment) (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t276964-re-signal-bus-invalid-address-alignment.html)

Mike Wahler 08-21-2003 06:51 PM

Suresh <nomail@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi there,
>
> My C++ program crashes with "signal BUS (invalid address alignment)" at
> random places. Does anyone know what this could mean ? What is the cause

of
> signal BUS ?

You have a bug on line 37.

-Mike

Suresh 08-22-2003 11:50 AM

"Mike Wahler" <mkwahler@mkwahler.net> wrote in message
news:uw81b.1987$Ej6.1258@newsread4.news.pas.earthl ink.net...

> Suresh <nomail@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > Hi there,
> >
> > My C++ program crashes with "signal BUS (invalid address alignment)" at
> > random places. Does anyone know what this could mean ? What is the cause

> of
> > signal BUS ?

> You have a bug on line 37.
>
> -Mike

Thanks to everyone.

Well it was not always line "37" where my program crashed. It happened at
different locations in the code, as I mentioned in the earlier post.

I tested the program on a different machine and it seems to work fine. So I
guess it was really some hardware problem.

Thanks again for all you replies.

Ron Natalie 08-22-2003 02:23 PM

"Suresh" <nomail@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:1061552952.80403.0@dyke.uk.clara.net...

> Well it was not always line "37" where my program crashed. It happened at
> different locations in the code, as I mentioned in the earlier post.

That was a scarcastic comment about the fact that you expect us to diagnose
your problem withou seeing your code.

> I tested the program on a different machine and it seems to work fine. So I
> guess it was really some hardware problem.

Doubtful. You most likely have undefined behavior. One of the insidious
features of undefined behavior is that it might work perfectly in some cases
and not in others.