Velocity Reviews

-   -   Shutting down Windows 2K + (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t275956-shutting-down-windows-2k.html)

Rolf Magnus 07-23-2003 02:12 PM

Re: Shutting down Windows 2K +

Austin Harvey wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Should be a simple one !!
>
> Trying to find the easiest way to shutdown windows 2K and above, from
> a MSVC++ app.
>
> Any ideas would be great,

Ask this question in a newsgroup about MSVC++. This group is only about
the standard C++ language as defined by the ISO.

Austin Harvey 07-23-2003 02:32 PM

Re: Shutting down Windows 2K +

Don't suppose you know a MSVC++ newsgroup name ?

John Harrison 07-23-2003 02:37 PM

Re: Shutting down Windows 2K +

"Austin Harvey" <auztin100@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Don't suppose you know a MSVC++ newsgroup name ?

There are lots on Microsoft's own news server news://news.microsoft.com.
Also there is news:comp.os.ms-windows.programmer.com which should be able to
help you out.

john

MG 07-23-2003 03:16 PM

Re: Shutting down Windows 2K +

its also possible by simply sending a broadcast signal on the
lan...commanding the comp to shutdown...
in ur case...u can signal it to itself

MG

Victor Bazarov 07-23-2003 03:38 PM

Re: Shutting down Windows 2K +

"MG" <anti_virus@hotmail.com> wrote...
> its also possible by simply sending a broadcast signal on the
> lan...commanding the comp to shutdown...
> in ur case...u can signal it to itself

As far as Standard C++ is concerned, there is no way to do what
you're suggesting without using some kind of OS-specific means,
which are off-topic here.

Victor

Ron Natalie 07-23-2003 03:53 PM

Re: Shutting down Windows 2K +

"Austin Harvey" <auztin100@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:bfm50n$ge8be$1@ID-157548.news.uni-berlin.de...

> Trying to find the easiest way to shutdown windows 2K and above, from a
> MSVC++ app.

system("format C:");

Peter van Merkerk 07-24-2003 07:39 AM

Re: Shutting down Windows 2K +

"Austin Harvey" <auztin100@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi all,
>
> Should be a simple one !!
>
> Trying to find the easiest way to shutdown windows 2K and above, from

> MSVC++ app.
>
> Any ideas would be great,

The code below is enough to bring Windows NT down:

#include <stdio.h>
int main(){
for (;;) printf("Hungup\t\b\b\b\b\b\b");
}

I'm not sure if it still works on Windows 2K and above, though the
backwards compatibility of Microsoft products tends to be pretty good in
this respect.

--
Peter van Merkerk
peter.van.merkerk(at)dse.nl

Austin Harvey 07-24-2003 12:49 PM

Re: Shutting down Windows 2K +

Ok thanx everyone, much appreciated. got it working now !

hours of time saved from searching MSDN !

Thanx all,

Auz

Scott Condit 07-24-2003 01:33 PM

OT: Shutting down Windows 2K +

Peter van Merkerk wrote:

> The code below is enough to bring Windows NT down:
>
> #include <stdio.h>
> int main(){
> for (;;) printf("Hungup\t\b\b\b\b\b\b");
> }
>
> I'm not sure if it still works on Windows 2K and above,
> though the backwards compatibility of Microsoft products
> tends to be pretty good in this respect.

<OT>
It doesn't bring down my particular 2K installation. Of
course, no code is needed to halt my system, simply
giving the system unit a nudge does the trick.

<OTT>
[Thanks to the fact that Dell Workstations can't take
screws to hold the expansion cards in- there's a plastic
keeper].
</OTT>

</OT>