Velocity Reviews

-   -   Re: [OT] finding client's port (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t275786-re-ot-finding-clients-port.html)

Michel Bardiaux 07-18-2003 12:35 PM

Re: [OT] finding client's port

Joona I Palaste wrote:
> Michel Bardiaux <mbardiaux@peaktime.be> scribbled the following
> on comp.lang.c:
>
>>Andre wrote:
>>
>>>Hi,
>>>
>>>Please help me! How can I find out a clients port number in unix C
>>>programming once a connection is established? I know how to get their
>>>address, but how do I find out what port the client will receive data
>>>in? Thanks!
>>>
>>>Andre
>>>

>>getpeername

> Please point out which part of the C or C++ standards defines
> getpeername.

POSIX

--
Michel Bardiaux
Peaktime Belgium S.A. Bd. du Souverain, 191 B-1160 Bruxelles

Dan Pop 07-18-2003 01:23 PM

Re: [OT] finding client's port

In <3F17E987.4090901@peaktime.be> Michel Bardiaux <mbardiaux@peaktime.be> writes:

>Joona I Palaste wrote:
>> Michel Bardiaux <mbardiaux@peaktime.be> scribbled the following
>> on comp.lang.c:

>>>getpeername

>> Please point out which part of the C or C++ standards defines
>> getpeername.
>>

>POSIX

When did POSIX get included in the C and/or the C++ standard?

Dan
--
Dan Pop
DESY Zeuthen, RZ group

Jim Fischer 07-18-2003 03:35 PM

Re: [OT] finding client's port

Michel Bardiaux wrote:

> Joona I Palaste wrote:
>
>> Michel Bardiaux <mbardiaux@peaktime.be> scribbled the following
>> on comp.lang.c:

>>> getpeername

>> Please point out which part of the C or C++ standards defines
>> getpeername.
>>

> POSIX

FWIW, the 'POSIX' standard is defined by IEEE, and not by the ISO/IEC
standards that define the C/C++ programming languages. Since the C/C++
language groups on Usenet are typically limited in scope to the C/C++
languages as they are defined by their respective ISO/IEC standards,
your best bet would be to ask UNIX socket programming questions in a
UNIX programming newsgroup. The people in that newsgroup should be able
to help you with UNIX- and/or POSIX-specific stuff. (Likewise, Mac OS-9
socket programming is not defined by the ISO/IEC C++ standards. So for
help with Mac OS-9 socket programming HOWTOs, the best place to ask such
questions would be the Mac OS-9 programming newsgroups, etc.)

--
Jim

To reply by email, remove "link" and change "now.here" to "yahoo"
jfischer_link5809{at}now.here.com

Dan Pop 07-22-2003 04:03 PM

Re: [OT] finding client's port

In <3F1CF5AA.3010503@peaktime.be> Michel Bardiaux <mbardiaux@peaktime.be> writes:

>POSIX is not a blood relative of ISO-C; but ISO-C should be proud to be
>its foster parent, esp. since there is no newsgroup dedicated to POSIX.

POSIX is considered topical on comp.unix.programmer, even if the
newsgroup is not restricted to POSIX.

Dan
--
Dan Pop