Velocity Reviews

-   -   Wide Screen not wide enough? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t275521-wide-screen-not-wide-enough.html)

michelebargeman@yahoo.com 04-10-2006 03:33 PM

Wide Screen not wide enough?

I was at the store looking at some wide screen monitors. I also saw
some wide-screen television. I noticed that some wide screen television
were displaying movies with "black bar" on top and bottom - just like
4:3 type televison. I asked the employe, however, that didn't make
sense to me. Does anyone know why wide-screen monitor will be
displaying black bars?

Does anyone know if I'll have same type of problem if I buy wide-screen
monitor?

Any help would be appricated.

M.B. 04-10-2006 03:56 PM

Re: Wide Screen not wide enough?

michelebargeman@yahoo.com wrote:
> I was at the store looking at some wide screen monitors. I also saw
> some wide-screen television. I noticed that some wide screen television
> were displaying movies with "black bar" on top and bottom - just like
> 4:3 type televison. I asked the employe, however, that didn't make
> sense to me. Does anyone know why wide-screen monitor will be
> displaying black bars?
>
> Does anyone know if I'll have same type of problem if I buy wide-screen
> monitor?
>
> Any help would be appricated.

They were most likely showing a 2.35:1 film. That ratio is wider than
the 16X9 of a widescreen TV. So it will give you black bars on those
type of movies. So the answer to your question is that you will have
this feature. It's not a problem.

unclejr 04-10-2006 04:33 PM

michelebarge...@yahoo.com wrote:
> I was at the store looking at some wide screen monitors. I also saw
> some wide-screen television. I noticed that some wide screen television
> were displaying movies with "black bar" on top and bottom - just like
> 4:3 type televison. I asked the employe, however, that didn't make
> sense to me. Does anyone know why wide-screen monitor will be
> displaying black bars?

<http://www.thedigitalbits.com/articles/anamorphic/anamorphic235demo.html>

HTH,

-Junior

Tonester 04-10-2006 04:36 PM

<michelebargeman@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:1144683216.102066.35810@i39g2000cwa.googlegro ups.com...
>I was at the store looking at some wide screen monitors. I also saw
> some wide-screen television. I noticed that some wide screen television
> were displaying movies with "black bar" on top and bottom - just like
> 4:3 type televison. I asked the employe, however, that didn't make
> sense to me. Does anyone know why wide-screen monitor will be
> displaying black bars?
>
> Does anyone know if I'll have same type of problem if I buy wide-screen
> monitor?

It's not a 'problem', this is a normal feature to make the movie look like
it's supposed to look.

04-10-2006 05:39 PM

"M.B." <NoSpam@ForYou.com> wrote in message
news:qLednUEQzb27HafZnZ2dneKdnZydnZ2d@comcast.com. ..
> michelebargeman@yahoo.com wrote:
>> I was at the store looking at some wide screen monitors. I also saw
>> some wide-screen television. I noticed that some wide screen television
>> were displaying movies with "black bar" on top and bottom - just like
>> 4:3 type televison. I asked the employe, however, that didn't make
>> sense to me. Does anyone know why wide-screen monitor will be
>> displaying black bars?
>>
>> Does anyone know if I'll have same type of problem if I buy wide-screen
>> monitor? Any help would be appricated.
>>

> They were most likely showing a 2.35:1 film. That ratio is wider than the
> 16X9 of a widescreen TV. So it will give you black bars on those type of
> movies. So the answer to your question is that you will have this
> feature. It's not a problem.

The answer to the question is, "yes". Clearly, the OP considers it a
"problem".

Norm Strong

Tonester 04-10-2006 05:51 PM

<normanstrong@comcast.net> wrote in message

> "M.B." <NoSpam@ForYou.com> wrote in message
> news:qLednUEQzb27HafZnZ2dneKdnZydnZ2d@comcast.com. ..
>> michelebargeman@yahoo.com wrote:
>>> I was at the store looking at some wide screen monitors. I also saw
>>> some wide-screen television. I noticed that some wide screen television
>>> were displaying movies with "black bar" on top and bottom - just like
>>> 4:3 type televison. I asked the employe, however, that didn't make
>>> sense to me. Does anyone know why wide-screen monitor will be
>>> displaying black bars?
>>>
>>> Does anyone know if I'll have same type of problem if I buy wide-screen
>>> monitor? Any help would be appricated.
>>>

>> They were most likely showing a 2.35:1 film. That ratio is wider than
>> the 16X9 of a widescreen TV. So it will give you black bars on those
>> type of movies. So the answer to your question is that you will have
>> this feature. It's not a problem.

> The answer to the question is, "yes". Clearly, the OP considers it a
> "problem".

Maybe the OP should stick to VCR's and 4:3 then. Some people might not be
comfortable outside of 1997.

RobMac 04-10-2006 06:26 PM

Re: Wide Screen not wide enough?

<michelebargeman@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:1144683216.102066.35810@i39g2000cwa.googlegro ups.com...
>I was at the store looking at some wide screen monitors. I also saw
> some wide-screen television. I noticed that some wide screen television
> were displaying movies with "black bar" on top and bottom - just like
> 4:3 type televison. I asked the employe, however, that didn't make
> sense to me. Does anyone know why wide-screen monitor will be
> displaying black bars?
>
> Does anyone know if I'll have same type of problem if I buy wide-screen
> monitor?
>
> Any help would be appricated.

You will have the same "problem" if you consider some widescreen movies to
be a "problem" in and of themselves.

The new TV sets are in 16:9 format (most HDTV programming is/will be in this
ratio), which is essentially 1.78:1 (standard analog TV's of the past were
4:3, or 1.33:1).

Movies now-a-days come in several flavors, mostly 1.85:1 and 2.35:1, as you
can see from the ratio, the 1.85 is closest to the newer TVs (1.78:1) so
DVDs with the 1.85:1 aspect usually just round off to 1.78:1 in order to
completely fill the HDTV screen, but some of the bigger "popcorn movies"
(The Lord Of The Rings Trilogy, Peter Jackson's King Kong, the Star Wars
movies and thousands of others) use the wider 2.35:1 aspect, and because the
new TV screen is only 1.78:1 there is blank space above and below (hence the
black bars).

This is not a mistake or a problem (unless you believe there are hidden
images under the black bars that will unravel the meaning of the existence
of man), it's the way the movies are meant to be seen, in their full
theatrical aspect (you don't notice this at the movie theater because
there's usually a drape or other distraction), sometimes movie screens have
movable sides that widen for the 2.35:1 movies, since a home TV can't
stretch itself, one screen size was chosen (1.78:1) so anything bigger than
that will have the black bars.

Embrace the full image, ignore the blank spaces (there's nothing meant to be
there, you're not "missing" anything), and free your mind to worry about
other more important things, like why you can park on driveways and drive on
parkways.

M.B. 04-10-2006 11:00 PM

Re: Wide Screen not wide enough?

normanstrong@comcast.net wrote:

> The answer to the question is, "yes". Clearly, the OP considers it a
> "problem".

It's not a problem. Problem implies that there is something wrong with
the TV and or DVD. Since that is clearly not the case, it is not a problem.

Mark Jones 04-11-2006 02:51 AM

Re: Wide Screen not wide enough?

michelebargeman@yahoo.com wrote:
> I was at the store looking at some wide screen monitors. I also saw
> some wide-screen television. I noticed that some wide screen
> television were displaying movies with "black bar" on top and bottom
> - just like 4:3 type televison. I asked the employe, however, that
> didn't make sense to me. Does anyone know why wide-screen monitor
> will be displaying black bars?
>
> Does anyone know if I'll have same type of problem if I buy
> wide-screen monitor?
>
> Any help would be appricated.

It isn't a problem, so nothing to solve.

Jay G. 04-11-2006 02:57 AM

On 10 Apr 2006 08:33:36 -0700, michelebargeman@yahoo.com wrote:

> I was at the store looking at some wide screen monitors. I also saw
> some wide-screen television. I noticed that some wide screen television
> were displaying movies with "black bar" on top and bottom - just like
> 4:3 type televison. I asked the employe, however, that didn't make
> sense to me. Does anyone know why wide-screen monitor will be
> displaying black bars?

Other people here have posted detailed descriptions of OAR and examples of
when a widescreen film might be wider than a widescreen TV.

However, I'll posit another reason why you may have seen black bars on some
widescreen TVs: The TV wasn't set up correctly.

Widecreen TVs have a variety of viewing modes to watch video. One of these
is a stretch mode that will stretch and 4:3 video to fill the 16:9 screen.
This is great for those who want the TV screen "filled" when watching 4:3
material, as long as they don't mind everything looking a little too wide.

Now, with the letterboxed movie you were watching, it's possible the movie
is being sent to the TV as a 4:3 letterboxed film, and then stretched to
fill the screen. If this movie is from an anamorphic DVD, that means the
video is first shrunk to fit a 4:3 frame, then stretched to fit a 16:9 TV.
If the film was sent properly, you wouldn't see any black bars.

the people seem a little too "wide" on the WS TV? If yes, it's not showing
the film correctly. If that's too subtle, check the size of the black bars
and compare them to the size of the black bars on a 4:3 TV showing the same
movie. A 2.35:1 film like Star Wars will still show black bars on a 16:9
TV, but they will be much smaller than the black bars shown on a 4:3 TV of
the same film. If the black bars are the same size, the TV is displaying
the film incorrectly.

-Jay