Velocity Reviews

-   -   Should copying always be exact? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t275473-should-copying-always-be-exact.html)

Terry Pinnell 04-04-2006 07:14 PM

Should copying always be exact?

By this I mean, if I copy from one DVD to another, should the copy be
*identical*?

I copied a DVD-RW to another DVD-RW, but the copy does not play
properly on my DVD player. It refuses to leave the main menu. Same
when I copied it to a DVD-R.

I've used several methods of copying:
- DVD to DVD (changing discs in the same drive)
- DVD to HD and back to DVD again.
Both gave same result. Just doesn't seem logical.

--
Terry, West Sussex, UK

Barry McCockiner 04-04-2006 07:43 PM

Re: Should copying always be exact?

In article <93h5325rkti70houvj2f09acu1ck5r5tc8@4ax.com>, Terry Pinnell
<terrypin@dial.pipex.com> wrote:

> By this I mean, if I copy from one DVD to another, should the copy be
> *identical*?
>
> I copied a DVD-RW to another DVD-RW, but the copy does not play
> properly on my DVD player...

Are you just copying the files, or are you using DVD ripping software?

Simply copying the contents of a DVD to your hard disk won't work,
because of the CSS encryption, which is intended to prevent you from
doing exactly what you're trying to do.

Search for DVD Ripping software; you're bound to run into something
that'll do the job.

Terry Pinnell 04-04-2006 08:59 PM

Barry McCockiner <abc@nowhere.com> wrote:

>In article <93h5325rkti70houvj2f09acu1ck5r5tc8@4ax.com>, Terry Pinnell
><terrypin@dial.pipex.com> wrote:
>
>> By this I mean, if I copy from one DVD to another, should the copy be
>> *identical*?
>>
>> I copied a DVD-RW to another DVD-RW, but the copy does not play
>> properly on my DVD player...

>Are you just copying the files, or are you using DVD ripping software?
>
>Simply copying the contents of a DVD to your hard disk won't work,
>because of the CSS encryption, which is intended to prevent you from
>doing exactly what you're trying to do.
>
>Search for DVD Ripping software; you're bound to run into something
>that'll do the job.

Thanks Barry, but this is a disc I authored myself, so no copy
protection issues.

--
Terry, West Sussex, UK

Gilgamesh 04-04-2006 10:47 PM

"Terry Pinnell" <terrypin@dial.pipex.com> wrote in message
> By this I mean, if I copy from one DVD to another, should the copy be
> *identical*?
>
> I copied a DVD-RW to another DVD-RW, but the copy does not play
> properly on my DVD player. It refuses to leave the main menu. Same
> when I copied it to a DVD-R.

Did you burn at the same speed? I've had some that worked when burning at
2x but did not work at 4x.
How did you copy - Just the files or with the disc copy feature in software
such as nero?

Jay G. 04-05-2006 02:29 AM

On Tue, 04 Apr 2006 21:59:32 +0100, Terry Pinnell wrote:

> Barry McCockiner <abc@nowhere.com> wrote:
>
> Thanks Barry, but this is a disc I authored myself, so no copy
> protection issues.

Even ignoring copy protection, DVD-Video discs have to be authored and
recorded a specific way for playback. Simply doing a DVD copy may give you
all the same data on the copied disc, but it may not be laid out on the
disc in the proper way.

-Jay

Netmask 04-05-2006 06:16 AM

> Barry McCockiner <abc@nowhere.com> wrote:
>
>>In article <93h5325rkti70houvj2f09acu1ck5r5tc8@4ax.com>, Terry Pinnell
>><terrypin@dial.pipex.com> wrote:
>>
>>> By this I mean, if I copy from one DVD to another, should the copy be
>>> *identical*?
>>>
>>> I copied a DVD-RW to another DVD-RW, but the copy does not play
>>> properly on my DVD player...

>>Are you just copying the files, or are you using DVD ripping software?
>>
>>Simply copying the contents of a DVD to your hard disk won't work,
>>because of the CSS encryption, which is intended to prevent you from
>>doing exactly what you're trying to do.
>>
>>Search for DVD Ripping software; you're bound to run into something
>>that'll do the job.

> Thanks Barry, but this is a disc I authored myself, so no copy
> protection issues.
>
> --
> Terry, West Sussex, UK

If you authored the disc then a one to one copy should work - so my guess is
a faulty dvd blank or maybe a memory problem or burning speed or the way you
are copying.

I do what you do for a living (Wedding anniversaries and all that stuff)
Mostly I make copies from the original VIDEO_TS folder on my hard disk but
if I don't have them then Nero Copy Entire Disc. Make sure when you are
copying you are NOT using DATA you should be selecting DVD video files.