Velocity Reviews

-   -   Alternative to Netflix Throttling? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t274960-alternative-to-netflix-throttling.html)

root 02-11-2006 05:43 PM

Alternative to Netflix Throttling?

What if Netflix offered an alternative plan where the customer
paid postage both ways? For the 3-out plan the alternative
should cost less than the current $18 or so. How much would
you be willing to pay Netflix if you also had to pay the
postage but there were no throttling delays?

Derek Janssen 02-11-2006 05:59 PM

Re: Alternative to Netflix Throttling?

root wrote:
> What if Netflix offered an alternative plan where the customer
> paid postage both ways? For the 3-out plan the alternative
> should cost less than the current $18 or so. How much would
> you be willing to pay Netflix if you also had to pay the
> postage but there were no throttling delays?

How about "If they're THAT impatient to watch Their Movie, let 'em eat
Blockbuster."

(And maybe I should offer a little perspective, here:
It's been two months since I moved into my new place, and for one reason
or another, the cable guys *still* haven't installed the jack as
contracted, let alone hook it up....We're still working on that one.
The current upshot is that there is no broadcast in my neck of the
woods, and I haven't watched the evening news since 2005: Either I
watch Netflix, I dig something out of my wine-cellar shelf, or my set
literally goes dark.

Now...you'd think--I mean, WOULDN'T you, now?...that I would be the
*first* to champion the Holy Customers' right to demand everything they
want, when they want it, and that Big Ol' Rich Corporations are being
mean just because they won't give us an ice cream cone and a pony.
But--wonder of wonders--for some odd reason, I've actually been
*tolerant* of how a corporation operates its business strategy, and
trying to look past my own bloated self-justifying ego to suggest that
maybe what happens happens for an incorporated, profit-balancing reason.
Well, a reason besides "they're mean and greedy", seeing as I
graduated Seneca County Elementary School some years ago.

Why am I philosophical about it?--I'm not too sure. Maybe I'm just a
nice person. Maybe I know how complex businesses are to operate on a
national scale, despite never having CEO'ed one myself.
Or maybe I just still WANT there to be a Netflix a year from now, just
in case the cable guys *still* haven't shown up yet.) :)

Derek Janssen (Aspect of Maturity, #27: Being able to balance one's
needs, without blaming symbolic authority figures)
ejanss@comcast.net

TB 02-11-2006 06:08 PM

Re: Alternative to Netflix Throttling?

"Derek Janssen" wrote:

(snip)

> Now...you'd think--I mean, WOULDN'T you, now?...that I would be the
> *first* to champion the Holy Customers' right to demand everything they
> want, when they want it, and that Big Ol' Rich Corporations are being mean
> just because they won't give us an ice cream cone and a pony.
> But--wonder of wonders--for some odd reason, I've actually been *tolerant*
> of how a corporation operates its business strategy, and trying to look
> past my own bloated self-justifying ego to suggest that maybe what happens
> happens for an incorporated, profit-balancing reason. Well, a reason
> besides "they're mean and greedy", seeing as I graduated Seneca County
> Elementary School some years ago.

Businesses love customers like you. They call you sheep.

T.B.

none 02-11-2006 06:21 PM

Re: Alternative to Netflix Throttling?

The best plan would just attach a price to each rental and let the user
assign the delivery date. If the new movies cost more than they cost
more. If someone wants 5 movies on Feb 20th just send wend them 5 movies
and bill them $7 to $12. Whatever the price. No nonsense. No games. Just
convenient service at a good price. The Netflix throttling is only hurting
Netflix. I know several people with Netflix who end up going to
Blockbuster on the weekend because Netflix is late with the DVD's. Keep in
mind they are not upgrading their Netflix account. They are going to the
competition to get the movies when they want them. The same for new
movies. After watching a movie sit at the top of the queue for 4 weeks
they just go to the local store and rent it. Again Netflix loses.
Eventually we will all just cancel netflix.

Derek Janssen 02-11-2006 06:22 PM

TB wrote:

> "Derek Janssen" wrote:
>
> (snip)
>

>>Now...you'd think--I mean, WOULDN'T you, now?...that I would be the
>>*first* to champion the Holy Customers' right to demand everything they
>>want, when they want it, and that Big Ol' Rich Corporations are being mean
>>just because they won't give us an ice cream cone and a pony.
>>But--wonder of wonders--for some odd reason, I've actually been *tolerant*
>>of how a corporation operates its business strategy, and trying to look
>>past my own bloated self-justifying ego to suggest that maybe what happens
>>happens for an incorporated, profit-balancing reason. Well, a reason
>>besides "they're mean and greedy", seeing as I graduated Seneca County
>>Elementary School some years ago.

> Businesses love customers like you. They call you sheep.

A sheep who gets to watch his rental movies, baa-stard. :)

Derek Janssen (oo, "Company of Wolves" tonight, my favorite!)
ejanss@comcast.net

Bob 02-11-2006 08:29 PM

On , root <NoEMail@home.org> wrote:

>How much would
>you be willing to pay Netflix if you also had to pay the
>postage but there were no throttling delays?

The consumer can't get the bulk mailing deal that NF can.

--

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession.
I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first."

TB 02-11-2006 08:37 PM

"Derek Janssen" wrote:

>> (snip)
>>

>>>Now...you'd think--I mean, WOULDN'T you, now?...that I would be the
>>>*first* to champion the Holy Customers' right to demand everything they
>>>want, when they want it, and that Big Ol' Rich Corporations are being
>>>mean just because they won't give us an ice cream cone and a pony.
>>>But--wonder of wonders--for some odd reason, I've actually been
>>>*tolerant* of how a corporation operates its business strategy, and
>>>trying to look past my own bloated self-justifying ego to suggest that
>>>maybe what happens happens for an incorporated, profit-balancing reason.
>>>Well, a reason besides "they're mean and greedy", seeing as I graduated
>>>Seneca County Elementary School some years ago.

>> Businesses love customers like you. They call you sheep.

> A sheep who gets to watch his rental movies, baa-stard. :)

Mildly funny.

Regardless, I'd never sign up for such a business like Netflix.
"Throttling," dealing with the likelihood of postal screwups, large
percentage of damaged discs - screw that. I just don't understand anyone who
can defend a company like Netflix that knowingly makes claims that they do
not fully honor regardless of customers who might take full advantage of
such advertised claims.

The corner video store is good enough for my dvd rental requirements.
There's just something to be said for walking in, finding what they have in
stock, making a couple selections and paying for them and leaving with them.
Any obscure, rare movie I may want to watch that no one locally carries,
I'll just buy it say, off an eBay seller, watch it at my leisure and resell
it at some point later if I want to unload it.

T.B.

root 02-11-2006 09:40 PM

Bob <spam@uce.gov> wrote:
> On , root <NoEMail@home.org> wrote:
>
>>How much would
>>you be willing to pay Netflix if you also had to pay the
>>postage but there were no throttling delays?

> The consumer can't get the bulk mailing deal that NF can.

Netflix could bill the customer for their bulk rate.

Derek Janssen 02-11-2006 09:47 PM

root wrote:
> Bob <spam@uce.gov> wrote:
>
>>On , root <NoEMail@home.org> wrote:
>>

>>>How much would
>>>you be willing to pay Netflix if you also had to pay the
>>>postage but there were no throttling delays?

>>The consumer can't get the bulk mailing deal that NF can.

> Netflix could bill the customer for their bulk rate.

....And what do you think you're paying $17.95 for, warehouse upkeep?

Derek Janssen (which brings us back to "$0.78 a pop" greedy-pig argument)
ejanss@comcast.net

GuessWho 02-11-2006 10:46 PM

Re: Alternative to Netflix Throttling?

Why not just quit Netflix and subscribe to Intelliflix?

Wayne

news:kP2dnVzATrgZx3PenZ2dnUVZ_vmdnZ2d@comcast.com. ..