Velocity Reviews

-   -   Studio Canal Announces Plans to Release More Than Thirty Titles on HD DVD in 2006. (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t274592-studio-canal-announces-plans-to-release-more-than-thirty-titles-on-hd-dvd-in-2006-a.html)

Allan 01-06-2006 10:18 AM

Studio Canal Announces Plans to Release More Than Thirty Titles on HD DVD in 2006.

http://sev.prnewswire.com/entertainm...6012006-1.html

- Neil Stephenson, _Cryptonomicon_

Goro 01-06-2006 01:58 PM

Re: Studio Canal Announces Plans to Release More Than Thirty Titles on HD DVD in 2006.

Allan wrote:
> http://sev.prnewswire.com/entertainm...6012006-1.html

Most of Studio Canal's library are foreign movies (foreign to the US,
that is) and I'd expect a large number of these HD-DVDs will be release
in the UK only..

Which brings me to: IIRC, HD-DVD announced that they would NOT have
region coding. Is that still true? And will there be PAL<->NTSC
players?

-goro-

WinField 01-07-2006 03:27 PM

Goro wrote:
> Allan wrote:
>
>>http://sev.prnewswire.com/entertainm...6012006-1.html

> Most of Studio Canal's library are foreign movies (foreign to the US,
> that is) and I'd expect a large number of these HD-DVDs will be release
> in the UK only..
>
> Which brings me to: IIRC, HD-DVD announced that they would NOT have
> region coding. Is that still true? And will there be PAL<->NTSC
> players?
>
> -goro-

Of the four DVD players I now own, two play both/either NTSC & PAL
formats - no problem. Automatically.

If the new HD players can't play both formats (NTSC/PAL), I would have
to believe that the movie-studio gorillas did a King Kong on our trusty
blonde hardware producers.

It'll be interesting to see how the new "Skull Island" hardware
(HD_players) does in the market place.

up, up and away -
winfield