Velocity Reviews

-   -   Play DVD on DVD Burner? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t274155-play-dvd-on-dvd-burner.html)

steve podleski 11-19-2005 10:24 PM

Play DVD on DVD Burner?

I have never played a video DVD so I am a newbie at it.

I recently bought a set of Lord of the Rings DVDs. I do not have DVD player
or a DVD-ROM on my PC. I have a DVD burner. I tried playing a DVD with the
software that came with the DVD set, but I got some strange error from the
player software that came with the DVD set: some problem about 'DVD
navigator'. I tried changing the display settings and downloaded the latest
firmware of the DVD burner . I tried playing the DVD again and it worked to
a degree: the video was jerky and the sound was low and bad. I suspect that
the DVD burner is too slow. Is this correct? Or am I missing some other
software or updates?

Biz 11-19-2005 11:32 PM

Re: Play DVD on DVD Burner?

What player software are you trying to use? These are the best:

WinDVD www.intervideo.com
PowerDVD www.gocyberlink.com

or Media Player Classic
http://sourceforge.net/project/showf...ckage_id=84358

news:a42dnR7Ev4siOeLenZ2dnUVZ_tednZ2d@comcast.com. ..

steve podleski 11-20-2005 01:54 AM

Re: Play DVD on DVD Burner?

The Lord of the Rings DVD set came with InterActual.

news:YBOff.288$fO5.271@newssvr33.news.prodigy.com. ..

M.B. 11-20-2005 02:37 AM

Re: Play DVD on DVD Burner?

steve podleski wrote:
> The Lord of the Rings DVD set came with InterActual.

That's not an actual DVD video player. You need to have somethig like
WinDVD or PowerDVD installed in order to play a DVD. Those are the two
best commercial programs as Biz recommended. And likewise, for a free
DVD player, you can't go wrong with Media Player Classic although you do
miss some of the functionality from the commercial counterparts.

You will get a lot of DVDs that will want to install the InterActual
crap on your computer. It's a waste of time and don't bother ever
installing them.

Biz 11-20-2005 04:20 AM

Re: Play DVD on DVD Burner?

You still need regular dvd player software installed to play the dvds. The
interactual player is just a fancy interface for an already installed player
and it allows access to certain extras you couldnt get to otherwise which
you can read about here.

http://player.interactual.com/default.asp?code=AP

InterActual Features can be enjoyed on any Windows computer with a
Direct-Show compatible DVD player/decoder and DVD-ROM drive. The system has
to be able to play DVD Video (minimally) to enjoy InterActual Features.

Microsoft Windows 98se / Me / XP:InterActual software is integrated with the
most popular DVD player/decoder available-- InterVideo WinDVD (released
December 2003). This is the best way to experience InterActual Features,
since you get all the benefits of WinDVD and InterActual compatibility in
one solution.
news:jeidnXIwBOtHSOLenZ2dnUVZ_sSdnZ2d@comcast.com. ..

Gilgamesh 11-20-2005 10:36 AM

Re: Play DVD on DVD Burner?

"steve podleski" <steve_podleski@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:jeidnXIwBOtHSOLenZ2dnUVZ_sSdnZ2d@comcast.com. ..
> The Lord of the Rings DVD set came with InterActual.

If you loaded InterActual then get rid of it, its loaded with SpyWare.

Bob 11-20-2005 05:40 PM

Re: Play DVD on DVD Burner?

On Sun, 20 Nov 2005 21:06:47 +1030, "Gilgamesh"
<gilgamesh@spam.me.not> wrote:

>If you loaded InterActual then get rid of it, its loaded with SpyWare.

So do most shareware applications. That's why my filter table in Kerio
is filled with Deny rules.

--

BOYCOTT SONY!

SONY IS TRYING TO TAKE OVER YOUR COMPUTER!

HOMELAND SECURITY TOLD SONY TO CEASE AND DESIST!

YOU DO THE SAME - BOYCOTT SONY!

steve podleski 11-21-2005 01:45 AM

Re: Play DVD on DVD Burner?

Done!

Thanks for the tip.

steve podleski 11-21-2005 01:47 AM

Re: Play DVD on DVD Burner?

Bix and M.B.

Thanks for your help.

I've downloaded a trial version of WinDVD and now the DVD can now be viewed
on my DVD burner.

news:eQSff.1106$rq3.906@newssvr19.news.prodigy.com ...

Richard Amirault 11-21-2005 05:02 PM

Re: Play DVD on DVD Burner?

"steve podleski" wrote ...
>I have never played a video DVD so I am a newbie at it.
>
> I recently bought a set of Lord of the Rings DVDs. I do not have DVD
> player
> or a DVD-ROM on my PC. I have a DVD burner. I tried playing a DVD with the
> software that came with the DVD set,

And what software is that?

> but I got some strange error from the
> player software that came with the DVD set: some problem about 'DVD
> navigator'. I tried changing the display settings and downloaded the
> latest
> firmware of the DVD burner . I tried playing the DVD again and it worked
> a degree: the video was jerky and the sound was low and bad. I suspect
> that
> the DVD burner is too slow. Is this correct? Or am I missing some other
> software or updates?

Hard to tell, but it may be that your computer is too slow ... most any DVD
drive will play fast enough to watch a DVD movie.

--
Richard Amirault N1JDU
Boston, MA, USA Go Fly A Kite