Velocity Reviews

Velocity Reviews (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/index.php)
-   DVD Video (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/f40-dvd-video.html)
-   -   VHS to DVD recorders (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t273942-vhs-to-dvd-recorders.html)

Steve 10-28-2005 03:17 PM

VHS to DVD recorders
 
I am transferring many VHS tapes over to DVD and would like to get comments
on the stand alone recorders that are out. The only one I tried (neighbor's)
didn't do the job like my computer is doing. It compresses the video too
much and makes it look horrible (to me). When I copy a 1 hour tape with the
computer it will fill a single layer DVD and it almost looks like an exact
image. Do any of the stand alone recorders have this feature?

Thanks...
-s-



Kimba W. Lion 10-28-2005 04:16 PM

Re: VHS to DVD recorders
 
"Steve" <knoisy_one@yahoo.com> wrote:

>I am transferring many VHS tapes over to DVD and would like to get comments
>on the stand alone recorders that are out. The only one I tried (neighbor's)
>didn't do the job like my computer is doing. It compresses the video too
>much and makes it look horrible (to me). When I copy a 1 hour tape with the
>computer it will fill a single layer DVD and it almost looks like an exact
>image. Do any of the stand alone recorders have this feature?


Are you sure you didn't overlook a setting on the recorder you tried? My
CyberHome recorder has many choices for a balance between quality and
recording time. The 2-hour mode gives good results from a VHS source. The
8-hour mode is good enough for the crappy signals delivered by cable
networks.

Steve 10-28-2005 07:12 PM

Re: VHS to DVD recorders
 
The recorder I tried was in 2 hour mode. It wasn't a top of the line model,
I wish I would have gotten the brand. But when I compared the one I recorded
with the computer (filled the disk) and the one with the standalone there
was a big difference, especially in fast moving sequences. Mostly what I am
recording is baseball games, old baseball games and documentaries from
Comiskey Park when it was still standing. I'm looking for a recorder that
will do 1 hour on a single layer disk and use the whole disk if I ask it to,
no compression. Thanks for your reply!

-s-

"Kimba W. Lion" <kimbawlion@aol.com> wrote in message
news:gej4m1h9nv43qu90ev9lvre1vglt01h98h@4ax.com...
> "Steve" <knoisy_one@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>>I am transferring many VHS tapes over to DVD and would like to get
>>comments
>>on the stand alone recorders that are out. The only one I tried
>>(neighbor's)
>>didn't do the job like my computer is doing. It compresses the video too
>>much and makes it look horrible (to me). When I copy a 1 hour tape with
>>the
>>computer it will fill a single layer DVD and it almost looks like an exact
>>image. Do any of the stand alone recorders have this feature?

>
> Are you sure you didn't overlook a setting on the recorder you tried? My
> CyberHome recorder has many choices for a balance between quality and
> recording time. The 2-hour mode gives good results from a VHS source. The
> 8-hour mode is good enough for the crappy signals delivered by cable
> networks.




Serial # 19781010 10-30-2005 08:35 AM

Re: VHS to DVD recorders
 
On Fri, 28 Oct 2005 11:17:45 -0400, "Steve" <knoisy_one@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>I am transferring many VHS tapes over to DVD and would like to get comments
>on the stand alone recorders that are out. The only one I tried (neighbor's)
>didn't do the job like my computer is doing. It compresses the video too
>much and makes it look horrible (to me). When I copy a 1 hour tape with the
>computer it will fill a single layer DVD and it almost looks like an exact
>image. Do any of the stand alone recorders have this feature?
>
>Thanks...
>-s-
>


My Pioneer 220:

....these are the recording times (bitrates) that can be set to fill up
a single sided G5 disk- directly from the manual:

360mins.
345 mins.
330 mins.
315 mins.
300 mins.
285 mins.
270 mins.
255 mins.
240 mins.
230 mins.
220 mins.
210 mins.
200 mins.
190 mins.
180 mins.
170 mins.
160 mins.
150 mins.
140 mins.
130 mins.
120 mins.
110 mins.
105 mins.
100 mins.
95 mins.
90 mins.
85 mins.
80 mins.
75 mins.
70 mins.
65 mins.
60 mins.

For a total of 32 different recording times between 1hr and 6hrs.

Also it has the ability to setup input filters so you can use either
preset filters or user defined filters

You can set VNR (video noise reduction)
Amount of detail to retain
Black level
Hue
Chroma
and more.

These act at hardware level directly on the input before anything is
recorded. It's very nice for someone like myself who has recorded a
lot of old movies with a lot of flaws in them. Often using the filters
the resulting DVD looks better than the original tapes.

There may be other recorders with even better features but overall for
200 bucks this is hard to beat.

Bob 10-30-2005 01:29 PM

Re: VHS to DVD recorders
 
On Sun, 30 Oct 2005 02:35:44 -0600, Serial # 19781010 <none@none.net>
wrote:

>My Pioneer 220:


>There may be other recorders with even better features but overall for
>200 bucks this is hard to beat.


It is my understanding that Pioneer makes the best DVDR on the market.

Is that the consensus?


--

If you build a man a fire and he will be warm for a day. If you
set a man on fire, he will be warm for the rest of his life.

maiet 10-30-2005 09:03 PM

Re: VHS to DVD recorders
 

"Bob" <spam@uce.gov> wrote in message
news:4364ca9c.147905640@news-server.houston.rr.com...
> On Sun, 30 Oct 2005 02:35:44 -0600, Serial # 19781010 <none@none.net>
> wrote:
>
> >My Pioneer 220:

>
> >There may be other recorders with even better features but overall for
> >200 bucks this is hard to beat.

>
> It is my understanding that Pioneer makes the best DVDR on the market.
>
> Is that the consensus?


panasonic are up there 4 sure



Don 10-31-2005 07:19 PM

Re: VHS to DVD recorders
 
I just bought the new Sony DVD recorder that is both a DVD recorder and VHS
recorder. The DVDs it produces look very good with no degradation from the
VHS tape. I recorded in the 2 hr DVD mode (single layer DVD)
"Steve" <knoisy_one@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:djtfgd$adm0$1@news3.infoave.net...
>I am transferring many VHS tapes over to DVD and would like to get comments
>on the stand alone recorders that are out. The only one I tried
>(neighbor's) didn't do the job like my computer is doing. It compresses the
>video too much and makes it look horrible (to me). When I copy a 1 hour
>tape with the computer it will fill a single layer DVD and it almost looks
>like an exact image. Do any of the stand alone recorders have this feature?
>
> Thanks...
> -s-
>




Buddy b@yippi.ti.ye 11-01-2005 03:07 AM

Re: VHS to DVD recorders
 


On Mon, 31 Oct 2005 14:19:29 -0500, "Don" <xxx@comcast.com> wrote:

>I just bought the new Sony DVD recorder that is both a DVD recorder and VHS
>recorder. The DVDs it produces look very good with no degradation from the
>VHS tape. I recorded in the 2 hr DVD mode (single layer DVD)
>"Steve" <knoisy_one@yahoo.com> wrote in message


Model # Don? Thanks
Regards
Buddy b


All times are GMT. The time now is 08:22 AM.

Powered by vBulletin®. Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.