Velocity Reviews

-   -   DVD Verdict reviews: NIP/TUCK: THE COMPLETE SECOND SEASON and more! (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t273829-dvd-verdict-reviews-nip-tuck-the-complete-second-season-and-more.html)

DVD Verdict 10-15-2005 08:13 AM

DVD Verdict reviews: NIP/TUCK: THE COMPLETE SECOND SEASON and more!

Today, DVD Verdict posted reviews of AFTERMATH: UNANSWERED QUESTIONS
FROM 9/11, BIG ALLIGATOR RIVER, CLEVELAND IN MY DREAMS, FEMI KUTI: LIVE
AT THE SHRINE: DELUXE EDITION DVD + LIVE CD, GIRLS NITE OUT, JACK
O'LANTERN, LAW AND ORDER: SPECIAL VICTIM'S UNIT: THE SECOND YEAR,
MIDNIGHT, NIP/TUCK: THE COMPLETE SECOND SEASON, PINOCCHIO'S REVENGE, and
THE WORK OF DIRECTOR STEPHANE SEDNAOUI:

AFTERMATH: UNANSWERED QUESTIONS FROM 9/11 (reviewed by Jeff Andreasen,
overall score 65/100):
"Aftermath: Unanswered Questions from 9/11, produced by the Guerrilla
News Network (GNN), is not 60 Minutes...and that's a good thing."

FULL REVIEW: http://www.dvdverdict.com/reviews/aftermath911.php

BIG ALLIGATOR RIVER (reviewed by Rob Lineberger, overall score 55/100):
"If you have a rowdy gang of schlock appreciators and a case of beer
handy, Big Alligator River offers copious opportunity for even the least
witty to get in a good zinger. "

FULL REVIEW: http://www.dvdverdict.com/reviews/bigalligatorriver.php

CLEVELAND IN MY DREAMS (reviewed by Bill Gibron, overall score 80/100):
"While it comes off like an overlong joke (the twist ending is nothing
more than an overblown punchline, down to the delivery) and contains
more than a few narrative miscues, the results are still enjoyable and
engaging."

FULL REVIEW: http://www.dvdverdict.com/reviews/cl...inmydreams.php

FEMI KUTI: LIVE AT THE SHRINE: DELUXE EDITION DVD + LIVE CD (reviewed by
Adam Arseneau, overall score 90/100):
"The Shrine seems an amazing place both of music and of political change
and, short of a sojourn to Nigeria, this DVD will no doubt be as close
as most people come to touching something truly revolutionary, in the
literal sense of the word."

FULL REVIEW: http://www.dvdverdict.com/reviews/femikutilive.php

GIRLS NITE OUT (reviewed by Mitchell Hattaway, overall score 45/100):
"What is this, a slasher flick for kindergarteners?"

FULL REVIEW: http://www.dvdverdict.com/reviews/girlsniteout.php

JACK O'LANTERN (reviewed by David Johnson, overall score 50/100):
"I'm grasping wildly to the few remaining, functioning brain cells I
have left in the old cerebral cortex after suffering through this
horrible movie, and fear if I were to write a full review, the surviving
gray matter will fizzle and die and I'll end up catatonic. So I hereby
relinquish my reviewing responsibility for Jack O'Lantern to special
guest judge, Carl the Nordic Houseplant."

FULL REVIEW: http://www.dvdverdict.com/reviews/jackolantern.php

LAW AND ORDER: SPECIAL VICTIM'S UNIT: THE SECOND YEAR (reviewed by David
Gutierrez, overall score 92/100):
"Definitely the darkest of the four Law & Order shows, SVU
challenges the established L&O formula, while delving into areas the
other shows will not."

FULL REVIEW: http://www.dvdverdict.com/reviews/losvuy2ndyear.php

MIDNIGHT (reviewed by David Johnson, overall score 82/100):
"The plot is as simple as you can get -- woman terrorized by nutbags --
and the production values are simplistic. But man if it didn't kind of
creep the crap out of me."

FULL REVIEW: http://www.dvdverdict.com/reviews/midnight1982.php

NIP/TUCK: THE COMPLETE SECOND SEASON (reviewed by David Gutierrez,
overall score 80/100):
"Don't expect Shakespeare. Nip/Tuck is at its best when it motors off,
never stopping to breath. It's a soap opera on speed, plain and simple.
It's excessive, fantastic, and engaging."

FULL REVIEW: http://www.dvdverdict.com/reviews/niptuckseason2.php

PINOCCHIO'S REVENGE (reviewed by David Johnson, overall score 68/100):
"For a vengeful, evil anthropomorphic puppet, Pinocchio is
surprisingly restrained; he doesn't even commit his first homicide
until late in the film."

FULL REVIEW: http://www.dvdverdict.com/reviews/pinocchiosrevenge.php

THE WORK OF DIRECTOR STEPHANE SEDNAOUI (reviewed by Bill Gibron, overall
score 90/100):
"There are many highlights in this collection, standout clips that
create their own private universe of performance and potency. It is hard
not to like what Tricky is turned into at the hands of Sednaoui."

FULL REVIEW: http://www.dvdverdict.com/reviews/stephanesednaoui.php

Mike Jackson
Editor & Webmaster, DVD Verdict
www.dvdverdict.com

Stan Brown 10-15-2005 03:04 PM

Re: DVD Verdict reviews: NIP/TUCK: THE COMPLETE SECOND SEASON and more!

Dateline Sat, 15 Oct 2005 08:13:19 -0000 from DVD Verdict
<editor@news.dvdverdict.com>:
> LAW AND ORDER: SPECIAL VICTIM'S UNIT

That's "Victims", no "Victim's" -- it's a plural, not a possessive.

I don't know which is a bigger annoyance lately, the illiterate
apostrophe in a plural, or "with John and I".

http://OakRoadSystems.com/

Frank Sereno 10-16-2005 03:14 AM

DVD Verdict wrote:

> Today, DVD Verdict posted reviews of AFTERMATH: UNANSWERED QUESTIONS
> FROM 9/11, BIG ALLIGATOR RIVER, CLEVELAND IN MY DREAMS, FEMI KUTI: LIVE
> AT THE SHRINE: DELUXE EDITION DVD + LIVE CD, GIRLS NITE OUT, JACK
> O'LANTERN, LAW AND ORDER: SPECIAL VICTIM'S UNIT: THE SECOND YEAR,
> MIDNIGHT, NIP/TUCK: THE COMPLETE SECOND SEASON, PINOCCHIO'S REVENGE, and
> THE WORK OF DIRECTOR STEPHANE SEDNAOUI:
>

> NIP/TUCK: THE COMPLETE SECOND SEASON (reviewed by David Gutierrez,
> overall score 80/100):
> "Don't expect Shakespeare. Nip/Tuck is at its best when it motors off,
> never stopping to breath. It's a soap opera on speed, plain and simple.
> It's excessive, fantastic, and engaging."
>
> FULL REVIEW: http://www.dvdverdict.com/reviews/niptuckseason2.php

I don't know about other folks, but if something receives an 80 out of
100 score, that should mean that the show is fairly good in the view of
the reviewer. But when you read the full review, he didn't like the
series all that much, giving the story a score of 60.

I think the score for the meat of a DVD, the actual show or movie,
should make up the bulk of its review score. Rating extras, video
transfer, etc., is good, but are less important than the show itself.

I do have to agree with the judge that the show is well acted. But I
quickly gave up on Nip/Tuck in season two as there were no characters
that I could identify with or sympathize with in any way. There was
nobody to root for or to admire no matter how skillfully the actors
portrayed these fatally flawed characters. I found very difficult to
watch a show centered on very selfish people.

The Man With No Name 10-16-2005 10:26 AM

"Frank Sereno" <fserenonospam@nospamsbcglobal.net> wrote in message
news:mAj4f.476$W%7.180@newssvr33.news.prodigy.com. ..
> I don't know about other folks, but if something receives an 80 out of 100
> score, that should mean that the show is fairly good in the view of the
> reviewer. But when you read the full review, he didn't like the series
> all that much, giving the story a score of 60.
>
> I think the score for the meat of a DVD, the actual show or movie, should
> make up the bulk of its review score. Rating extras, video transfer,
> etc., is good, but are less important than the show itself.

Actually, I'd disagree with you there. Generally, if I buy a DVD, it's
because I've already seen the movie (probably a few times,) and I read the
reviews to find out how good the DVD presentation is.
Besides which, the quality of a movie can be such a subjective thing. The
quality of a DVD, however, is something which people generally tend to agree
on.

Stan Brown 10-16-2005 03:40 PM

Re: DVD Verdict reviews: NIP/TUCK: THE COMPLETE SECOND SEASON and more!

Dateline Sun, 16 Oct 2005 03:14:26 GMT from Frank Sereno
<fserenonospam@nospamsbcglobal.net>:
> I do have to agree with the judge that the show is well acted. But I
> quickly gave up on Nip/Tuck in season two as there were no characters
> that I could identify with or sympathize with in any way. There was
> nobody to root for or to admire no matter how skillfully the actors
> portrayed these fatally flawed characters. I found very difficult to
> watch a show centered on very selfish people.

Not to argue with your personal taste, but how did you feel about
/Seinfeld/? That was a show about people AT LEAST as self-absorbed
and selfish as those in /Nip/Tuck/? Did you give up on /Seinfeld/
too, or if not, what made the difference?

http://OakRoadSystems.com/

Kimba W. Lion 10-16-2005 04:20 PM

Re: DVD Verdict reviews: NIP/TUCK: THE COMPLETE SECOND SEASON and more!

Frank Sereno <fserenonospam@nospamsbcglobal.net> wrote:

>I think the score for the meat of a DVD, the actual show or movie,
>should make up the bulk of its review score. Rating extras, video
>transfer, etc., is good, but are less important than the show itself.

I never care about what a DVD reviewer says about the show or movie content.
I wish they'd all shut up about it and give up the idea that they'll be the
next Ebert. By the time something makes it to DVD, I either know what it's
about or I don't care. What I do care about is how well the DVD itself is
made. Technical issues and special content are all I care to read about.

Joshua Zyber 10-16-2005 04:39 PM

"Kimba W. Lion" <kimbawlion@aol.com> wrote in message
> I never care about what a DVD reviewer says about the show or movie
> content.
> I wish they'd all shut up about it and give up the idea that they'll
> be the
> next Ebert. By the time something makes it to DVD, I either know what
> it's
> about or I don't care. What I do care about is how well the DVD itself
> is
> made. Technical issues and special content are all I care to read
> about.

Here's a revolutionary idea: Why don't you just skip down to those
clearly marked sections of the review? You don't *have* to read the
whole thing if you don't want to.

Whoa, did I just like totally blow your mind, dude?

Justin 10-16-2005 05:28 PM

Frank Sereno wrote on [Sun, 16 Oct 2005 03:14:26 GMT]:

> DVD Verdict wrote:
>
>> Today, DVD Verdict posted reviews of AFTERMATH: UNANSWERED QUESTIONS
>> FROM 9/11, BIG ALLIGATOR RIVER, CLEVELAND IN MY DREAMS, FEMI KUTI: LIVE
>> AT THE SHRINE: DELUXE EDITION DVD + LIVE CD, GIRLS NITE OUT, JACK
>> O'LANTERN, LAW AND ORDER: SPECIAL VICTIM'S UNIT: THE SECOND YEAR,
>> MIDNIGHT, NIP/TUCK: THE COMPLETE SECOND SEASON, PINOCCHIO'S REVENGE, and
>> THE WORK OF DIRECTOR STEPHANE SEDNAOUI:
>>

>> NIP/TUCK: THE COMPLETE SECOND SEASON (reviewed by David Gutierrez,
>> overall score 80/100):
>> "Don't expect Shakespeare. Nip/Tuck is at its best when it motors off,
>> never stopping to breath. It's a soap opera on speed, plain and simple.
>> It's excessive, fantastic, and engaging."
>>
>> FULL REVIEW: http://www.dvdverdict.com/reviews/niptuckseason2.php

> I don't know about other folks, but if something receives an 80 out of
> 100 score, that should mean that the show is fairly good in the view of
> the reviewer. But when you read the full review, he didn't like the
> series all that much, giving the story a score of 60.
>
> I think the score for the meat of a DVD, the actual show or movie,
> should make up the bulk of its review score. Rating extras, video
> transfer, etc., is good, but are less important than the show itself.

So, if you rate the DVD with 80% based on the show, and the reviewer
loves the show so much he gives it an 79, and the transfer is so poor
that there is parts where you can't even make out what's happening...

Frank Sereno 10-16-2005 09:32 PM

Stan Brown wrote:

> Dateline Sun, 16 Oct 2005 03:14:26 GMT from Frank Sereno
> <fserenonospam@nospamsbcglobal.net>:
>
>>I do have to agree with the judge that the show is well acted. But I
>>quickly gave up on Nip/Tuck in season two as there were no characters
>>that I could identify with or sympathize with in any way. There was
>>nobody to root for or to admire no matter how skillfully the actors
>>portrayed these fatally flawed characters. I found very difficult to
>>watch a show centered on very selfish people.

> Not to argue with your personal taste, but how did you feel about
> /Seinfeld/? That was a show about people AT LEAST as self-absorbed
> and selfish as those in /Nip/Tuck/? Did you give up on /Seinfeld/
> too, or if not, what made the difference?

I've never been a big fan of either Seinfeld as a stand-up or the series
starring him. Some of his comedy is good, but a lot of it is based on
an urban lifestyle that I haven't experienced since I live in a small
town. As for the show, I can't recall at the moment what I was watching
instead of Seinfeld over those nine seasons. I watch the occasional
rerun but it never has been "must see TV" for me.

But I think for many people, the fact that "Seinfeld" was a comedy and
made people laugh makes it a bit more acceptable than a drama about
selfish, loutish characters that's all dark and twisted. But a lot of
people loved "Six Feet Under" and that's fairly similar to "Nip/Tuck" as
far as the general tone of the show goes, at least as far as I can
understand it without having seen the former. I can't say from personal
experience since I haven't seen "Six Feet Under" because I don't
subscribe to HBO and I have yet to purchase the season box sets.

Frank Sereno 10-16-2005 09:35 PM

Justin wrote:

> Frank Sereno wrote on [Sun, 16 Oct 2005 03:14:26 GMT]:
>

>>DVD Verdict wrote:
>>

>>>Today, DVD Verdict posted reviews of AFTERMATH: UNANSWERED QUESTIONS
>>>FROM 9/11, BIG ALLIGATOR RIVER, CLEVELAND IN MY DREAMS, FEMI KUTI: LIVE
>>>AT THE SHRINE: DELUXE EDITION DVD + LIVE CD, GIRLS NITE OUT, JACK
>>>O'LANTERN, LAW AND ORDER: SPECIAL VICTIM'S UNIT: THE SECOND YEAR,
>>>MIDNIGHT, NIP/TUCK: THE COMPLETE SECOND SEASON, PINOCCHIO'S REVENGE, and
>>>THE WORK OF DIRECTOR STEPHANE SEDNAOUI:
>>>

>>>NIP/TUCK: THE COMPLETE SECOND SEASON (reviewed by David Gutierrez,
>>>overall score 80/100):
>>>"Don't expect Shakespeare. Nip/Tuck is at its best when it motors off,
>>>never stopping to breath. It's a soap opera on speed, plain and simple.
>>>It's excessive, fantastic, and engaging."
>>>
>>>FULL REVIEW: http://www.dvdverdict.com/reviews/niptuckseason2.php

>>I don't know about other folks, but if something receives an 80 out of
>>100 score, that should mean that the show is fairly good in the view of
>>the reviewer. But when you read the full review, he didn't like the
>>series all that much, giving the story a score of 60.
>>
>>I think the score for the meat of a DVD, the actual show or movie,
>>should make up the bulk of its review score. Rating extras, video
>>transfer, etc., is good, but are less important than the show itself.

> So, if you rate the DVD with 80% based on the show, and the reviewer
> loves the show so much he gives it an 79, and the transfer is so poor
> that there is parts where you can't even make out what's happening...

So if the reviewer says the transfer is less than stellar but you
definitely want a copy in your library, what are your choices other than
buying what has been made available to the public for purchase? I
suppose you can wait for the HD-DVD version or the Tenth Anniversary
Edition to come out eventually.