Velocity Reviews

-   -   Blu-Ray for SD TV shows (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t273402-blu-ray-for-sd-tv-shows.html)

08-25-2005 03:22 PM

Blu-Ray for SD TV shows

I've been trying to imagine a good use for a 30GB disc. How about an entire
season of a 1 hour TV series? That's about 1000 minutes; just right for
Blu-Ray. Of course, that's not what they're going to do with it. The one
thing Hollywood doesn't want is a disc with a lot of time on it. They're
perfectly happy to give you better and better resolution, extras, etc., but
not more time.

DVD would have been perfect for entire operas at full CD quality; 16 bit,
48K PCM is a DVD standard, but I'm not aware of any commercial release using
it.

Norm Strong

Goro 08-25-2005 08:31 PM

Re: Blu-Ray for SD TV shows

normanstrong@comcast.net wrote:
> I've been trying to imagine a good use for a 30GB disc. How about an entire
> season of a 1 hour TV series? That's about 1000 minutes; just right for
> Blu-Ray. Of course, that's not what they're going to do with it. The one
> thing Hollywood doesn't want is a disc with a lot of time on it. They're
> perfectly happy to give you better and better resolution, extras, etc., but
> not more time.

i had thot for quite some time that this could possibly be hte "killer
app" for the next gen of Hi-Capacity DVDs. NOT necessarily just the HD
Content, but that much more SD content could be held on it. Computer
BluRay burners + DVD ripping = BluRay disc with lots of content on it =
Me buying a BluRay burner, bluRay media, BluRay set top player.

-goro-

Biz 08-25-2005 08:43 PM

Re: Blu-Ray for SD TV shows

Norman, many many operas have LPCM 2.0 sound, in fact all I have seen did.
I only know of a few that have surround sound(like DD 5.1 or DTS)

Galley 08-26-2005 05:52 AM

Re: Blu-Ray for SD TV shows

On Thu, 25 Aug 2005 08:22:23 -0700, <normanstrong@comcast.net> spewed forth
these words of wisdom:

>I've been trying to imagine a good use for a 30GB disc. How about an entire
>season of a 1 hour TV series? That's about 1000 minutes; just right for
>Blu-Ray. Of course, that's not what they're going to do with it. The one
>thing Hollywood doesn't want is a disc with a lot of time on it. They're
>perfectly happy to give you better and better resolution, extras, etc., but
>not more time.
>
>DVD would have been perfect for entire operas at full CD quality; 16 bit,
>48K PCM is a DVD standard, but I'm not aware of any commercial release using
>it.
>
>Norm Strong

Could Wagner's "The Ring Cycle" fit on one disc? Isn't that 14-16 hours long?
;-)

Galley

Bill Vermillion 08-28-2005 10:25 PM

Re: Blu-Ray for SD TV shows

In article <dfbtg19armr0qflq2eg3cjvhr4gm1k8bfa@4ax.com>,
Galley <Galley@Spam-Jammer.galleytech.com> wrote:
>On Thu, 25 Aug 2005 08:22:23 -0700, <normanstrong@comcast.net> spewed forth
>these words of wisdom:
>
>>I've been trying to imagine a good use for a 30GB disc. How about an entire
>>season of a 1 hour TV series? That's about 1000 minutes; just right for
>>Blu-Ray. Of course, that's not what they're going to do with it. The one
>>thing Hollywood doesn't want is a disc with a lot of time on it. They're
>>perfectly happy to give you better and better resolution, extras, etc., but
>>not more time.
>>
>>DVD would have been perfect for entire operas at full CD quality; 16 bit,
>>48K PCM is a DVD standard, but I'm not aware of any commercial release using
>>it.
>>
>>Norm Strong

>Could Wagner's "The Ring Cycle" fit on one disc? Isn't that 14-16 hours long?
>;-)

I think there are six - or perhaps 7 - in my DVDs of that.

Bill

--
Bill Vermillion - bv @ wjv . com