Velocity Reviews

-   -   20th CENTURY FOX: Double-dipping policy has to stop (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t273255-20th-century-fox-double-dipping-policy-has-to-stop.html)

Throw Icebreaker From The Train 08-06-2005 03:34 AM

20th CENTURY FOX: Double-dipping policy has to stop

You can blame me for buying the movies in the first place (Day After
Tomorrow, I Robot, Alien vs Predator) all you want, but with Day After
Tomorrow I waited until after January to buy the movie after not hearing
anything about any new versions coming out. Within weeks of buying it, FOX
announces that they're coming out with a newer version.

When AvP was released in theaters, then talked about before the launch on
dvd, the director assured us that the cut he turned in was the complete
film; that there were no scenes filmed that didn't make it into the movie.
That there would not be a newer version of AvP coming out after the January
release. Yet that is exactly what we are getting. This week 20th Century Fox
announces another edition of AvP & Elektra, to go with versions already
released earlier in the year. This comes on the heels of double-dipping with
Day After Tomorrow, Dodgeball, and I Robot.

This "double-dipping" policy is particularly egregious in Fox's case. I can
see maybe issuing a new box set every 7 years or so, but to release two
completely different versions of a movie in the same year? I can't even get
Fox to release the last volume of the tv series Son of the Beach onto dvd,
and Volume One came out 2 years ago.

I plan on buying a box set of Superman movies, but i'm not going to buy this
new re-issue that Warner Brothers just commissioned, because I am now too
savvy a consumer to get suckered into that trap. I'm willing to be a little
more patient and bet on Warners issuing a ultra-brand-new box set in Fall of
2006 when Superman Returns in released on dvd. Same with Mr.and Mrs. Smith.
Since FOX is double-dipping on all of their titles now, i'll just wait for
May of 2006 to roll around and will pick up the latest version of 'Smith'.
I've been burned by FOX too many times now.

--

-------------------------------------
Icebreaker

kaydigi 08-06-2005 04:38 AM

Re: 20th CENTURY FOX: Double-dipping policy has to stop

"Throw Icebreaker From The Train" <icebreaker@wallmart.com> wrote in message
> You can blame me for buying the movies in the first place (Day After
> Tomorrow, I Robot, Alien vs Predator) all you want, but with Day After
> Tomorrow I waited until after January to buy the movie after not hearing
> anything about any new versions coming out. Within weeks of buying it, FOX
> announces that they're coming out with a newer version.
>
> When AvP was released in theaters, then talked about before the launch on
> dvd, the director assured us that the cut he turned in was the complete
> film; that there were no scenes filmed that didn't make it into the movie.
> That there would not be a newer version of AvP coming out after the
> January release. Yet that is exactly what we are getting. This week 20th
> Century Fox announces another edition of AvP & Elektra, to go with
> versions already released earlier in the year. This comes on the heels of
> double-dipping with Day After Tomorrow, Dodgeball, and I Robot.
>
> This "double-dipping" policy is particularly egregious in Fox's case. I
> can see maybe issuing a new box set every 7 years or so, but to release
> two completely different versions of a movie in the same year? I can't
> even get Fox to release the last volume of the tv series Son of the Beach
> onto dvd, and Volume One came out 2 years ago.
>
> I plan on buying a box set of Superman movies, but i'm not going to buy
> this new re-issue that Warner Brothers just commissioned, because I am now
> too savvy a consumer to get suckered into that trap. I'm willing to be a
> little more patient and bet on Warners issuing a ultra-brand-new box set
> in Fall of 2006 when Superman Returns in released on dvd. Same with Mr.and
> Mrs. Smith. Since FOX is double-dipping on all of their titles now, i'll
> just wait for May of 2006 to roll around and will pick up the latest
> version of 'Smith'. I've been burned by FOX too many times now.
>
> --

What were the new changes in I Robot? You should have known there was a
double dip for AvP coming, that movie just screams 3 time release.

Goro 08-06-2005 04:55 AM

Throw Icebreaker From The Train wrote:
> You can blame me for buying the movies in the first place (Day After
> Tomorrow, I Robot, Alien vs Predator) all you want, but with Day After
> Tomorrow I waited until after January to buy the movie after not hearing
> anything about any new versions coming out. Within weeks of buying it, FOX
> announces that they're coming out with a newer version.
>
> When AvP was released in theaters, then talked about before the launch on
> dvd, the director assured us that the cut he turned in was the complete
> film; that there were no scenes filmed that didn't make it into the movie.
> That there would not be a newer version of AvP coming out after the January
> release. Yet that is exactly what we are getting. This week 20th Century Fox
> announces another edition of AvP & Elektra, to go with versions already
> released earlier in the year. This comes on the heels of double-dipping with
> Day After Tomorrow, Dodgeball, and I Robot.
>
> This "double-dipping" policy is particularly egregious in Fox's case. I can
> see maybe issuing a new box set every 7 years or so, but to release two
> completely different versions of a movie in the same year? I can't even get
> Fox to release the last volume of the tv series Son of the Beach onto dvd,
> and Volume One came out 2 years ago.
>
> I plan on buying a box set of Superman movies, but i'm not going to buy this
> new re-issue that Warner Brothers just commissioned, because I am now too
> savvy a consumer to get suckered into that trap. I'm willing to be a little
> more patient and bet on Warners issuing a ultra-brand-new box set in Fall of
> 2006 when Superman Returns in released on dvd. Same with Mr.and Mrs. Smith.
> Since FOX is double-dipping on all of their titles now, i'll just wait for
> May of 2006 to roll around and will pick up the latest version of 'Smith'.
> I've been burned by FOX too many times now.

and they wonder why Customers download/ripp DVDs.

-goro-

manitou 08-06-2005 05:11 AM

Re: 20th CENTURY FOX: Double-dipping policy has to stop

Throw Icebreaker From The Train wrote:

> You can blame me for buying the movies in the first place (Day After
> Tomorrow, I Robot, Alien vs Predator) all you want, but with Day After
> Tomorrow I waited until after January to buy the movie after not hearing
> anything about any new versions coming out. Within weeks of buying it, FOX
> announces that they're coming out with a newer version.
>
> When AvP was released in theaters, then talked about before the launch on
> dvd, the director assured us that the cut he turned in was the complete
> film; that there were no scenes filmed that didn't make it into the movie.
> That there would not be a newer version of AvP coming out after the January
> release. Yet that is exactly what we are getting. This week 20th Century Fox
> announces another edition of AvP & Elektra, to go with versions already
> released earlier in the year. This comes on the heels of double-dipping with
> Day After Tomorrow, Dodgeball, and I Robot.
>
> This "double-dipping" policy is particularly egregious in Fox's case. I can
> see maybe issuing a new box set every 7 years or so, but to release two
> completely different versions of a movie in the same year? I can't even get
> Fox to release the last volume of the tv series Son of the Beach onto dvd,
> and Volume One came out 2 years ago.
>
> I plan on buying a box set of Superman movies, but i'm not going to buy this
> new re-issue that Warner Brothers just commissioned, because I am now too
> savvy a consumer to get suckered into that trap. I'm willing to be a little
> more patient and bet on Warners issuing a ultra-brand-new box set in Fall of
> 2006 when Superman Returns in released on dvd. Same with Mr.and Mrs. Smith.
> Since FOX is double-dipping on all of their titles now, i'll just wait for
> May of 2006 to roll around and will pick up the latest version of 'Smith'.
> I've been burned by FOX too many times now.

Don't forget they'll be rereleasing everything in Blu-Ray by this time
next year.

C.

BTR1701 08-06-2005 07:33 AM

Re: 20th CENTURY FOX: Double-dipping policy has to stop

In article <kdWIe.2446$J7.2012@fe07.lga>, "Throw Icebreaker From The
Train" <icebreaker@wallmart.com> wrote:

> I plan on buying a box set of Superman movies, but i'm not going to buy
> this new re-issue that Warner Brothers just commissioned, because
> I am now too savvy a consumer to get suckered into that trap.

Congratulations. You just grew up and realized that you don't have to
buy everything they put on the shelves.

They offer it for sale. You can always say no.

jmc 08-06-2005 07:52 AM

Re: 20th CENTURY FOX: Double-dipping policy has to stop

"Throw Icebreaker From The Train" <icebreaker@wallmart.com> wrote in message
> You can blame me for buying the movies in the first place (Day After
> Tomorrow, I Robot, Alien vs Predator) all you want, but with Day After
> Tomorrow I waited until after January to buy the movie after not hearing
> anything about any new versions coming out. Within weeks of buying it, FOX
> announces that they're coming out with a newer version.

If you go around consuming movies which have nothing to do with art and are
only there to make rich ***** richer, you get everything you deserve with
nobs on. Instead of getting another version of I ****ing Robot, why don't
you get some taste?

The Man With No Name 08-06-2005 12:26 PM

"jmc" <noway@arenutscontactingme.com> wrote in message

> "Throw Icebreaker From The Train" <icebreaker@wallmart.com> wrote in

message
> > You can blame me for buying the movies in the first place (Day After
> > Tomorrow, I Robot, Alien vs Predator) all you want, but with Day After
> > Tomorrow I waited until after January to buy the movie after not hearing
> > anything about any new versions coming out. Within weeks of buying it,

FOX
> > announces that they're coming out with a newer version.
> >

> If you go around consuming movies which have nothing to do with art and

are
> only there to make rich c___s richer, you get everything you deserve with
> nobs on. Instead of getting another version of I ****ing Robot, why don't
> you get some taste?

His taste is a little lacking, but that doesn't change the validity of his
point.

What's that old saying? First they came for the homosexuals, but I didn't
object because I wasn't a homosexual. Then they came for the Jews, but I
didn't object, because I wasn't a Jew. Then they came for the tasteless
consumers, but I didn't object, because I wasn't a tasteless consumer. Then
they came for me, and there was nobody left to object.

mpoconnor7@aol.com 08-06-2005 12:56 PM

Re: 20th CENTURY FOX: Double-dipping policy has to stop

They have simply learned from George Lucas that you can double your
profits by getting people to buy the DVD when it is first released,
then after everybody has purchased it, getting them to buy a "Special
Edition" a year or two later. Think about it, the real hardcore Star
Wars fans have purchased the original three films on VHS when they came
out (many of them already had them on bootleg videos or taped from
cable), then bought them again when the Special Editions came out in
1997, and again when they come out on DVD.

Mark Jones 08-06-2005 01:16 PM

Re: 20th CENTURY FOX: Double-dipping policy has to stop

"jmc" <noway@arenutscontactingme.com> wrote in message
> If you go around consuming movies which have nothing to do with art and

are
> only there to make rich ***** richer, you get everything you deserve with
> nobs on. Instead of getting another version of I ****ing Robot, why don't
> you get some taste?

I would imagine that your idea of taste is to watch boring movies
that would cure insomnia.

Throw Icebreaker From The Train 08-06-2005 03:47 PM

<mpoconnor7@aol.com> wrote in message
news:1123332992.858427.31670@g43g2000cwa.googlegro ups.com...
> They have simply learned from George Lucas that you can double your
> profits by getting people to buy the DVD when it is first released,
> then after everybody has purchased it, getting them to buy a "Special
> Edition" a year or two later. Think about it, the real hardcore Star
> Wars fans have purchased the original three films on VHS when they came
> out (many of them already had them on bootleg videos or taped from
> cable), then bought them again when the Special Editions came out in
> 1997, and again when they come out on DVD.

A couple of slight differences, though. Since VHS can't compare to DVD, i'm
not faulting 20thCentury for releasing the films on dvd. But I look at it
like this: in the "early days" of the format, studios just dumped a movie
onto a disc and released it, without anything special for the movie fan,
because the market was untested. I get it. Fast forward from 1996 to 2005.
Some of those dumped titles, such as Batman Returns, are getting the full
treatment in an upcoming Batman Anthology box set (October 18th). *THAT* I
can live with because a) the span of time has been great and b) there is no
comparison between Warner's first release of Batman onto dvd and what they
are now releasing. The markup in quality is tremendous. What has annoyed me,
but ultimately educated me, are the extreme practices of 20th Century Fox.
You've got at least four Fox films from 2004 that have been re-released on
dvd in less than 6 months from their initial dvd release. At least with New
Line (?), they let their LOTR fans know when each film made its first dvd
premiere that an even better and longer version of each film would be
released a few months later. In other words, they INFORMED their clients.

A few weeks ago an article began circulating (maybe from the WSJ or NYT)
that commented on how dvd sales have "supposedly" slipped (in other words,
Shrek 2 and The Incredibles only sold 50 million copies instead of 60
million). Assuming that article is true, I think we've found at least one
legitimate reason why. Maybe two. Consumers have been burned, a few are
starting to anticipate such double-dipping policies, or tie-ins with
upcoming releases.

When I saw the Batman Legacy box set on sale for 29.99, I knew Warner
Brothers was coming out with a new box set for Batman very soon. I see
Warners is also re-releasing the Superman Collection at a discounted price.
What that tells me is that they're going to do something next year to tie
into the release of Superman Returns (hopefully they'll do an honesty
commentary on Superman III and Superman IV and get the producers, director,
or guest commentators to mention how utterly worthless and cheap the film
is). So even though I need a fresh copy of Superman, i'm waiting until Fall
2006.