Velocity Reviews

-   -   Help choose a 27" TV. Line of resolution matter? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t273073-help-choose-a-27-tv-line-of-resolution-matter.html)

colinnewsgroup@hotmail.com 07-15-2005 10:47 PM

Help choose a 27" TV. Line of resolution matter?

Hi,
I'm shopping for a new 27" tv, and am a bit confused. Do I need to care
about advertised lines of resolution of a tv for watching dvds? Will it
make a difference? Aside from how it looks in the store (often lousy,
with cables split a million times) is there anything else to look for?

I won't be using it to display hdtv content - just dvds.

Thanks,
colin
colinnewsgroup@hotmail.com

Aphelion 07-16-2005 01:37 AM

Re: Help choose a 27" TV. Line of resolution matter?

> I won't be using it to display hdtv content - just dvds.

DVDs are HD... except you won't experience it unless you get an HDTV. DVDs
are currently produced for a resolution called 480p. Admittedly there isn't
much difference between normal TV resolution and 480p, but there *is* a
difference. If you're buying a TV that big, may as well go HD.

Aphelion

Joshua Zyber 07-16-2005 02:08 AM

"Aphelion" <sonship@twcny.rr.com> wrote in message
>> I won't be using it to display hdtv content - just dvds.

> DVDs are HD... except you won't experience it unless you get an HDTV.
> DVDs are currently produced for a resolution called 480p.

No, and no. DVDs are not high-definition, nor are they 480p (which is
also not high-definition). DVD video is stored in 480i standard
definition format. It can be deinterlaced to 480p enhanced defintion
progressive scan format.

High Definition is either 720p or 1080i.

Goro 07-16-2005 03:05 AM

Joshua Zyber wrote:
> "Aphelion" <sonship@twcny.rr.com> wrote in message
> >> I won't be using it to display hdtv content - just dvds.

> > DVDs are HD... except you won't experience it unless you get an HDTV.
> > DVDs are currently produced for a resolution called 480p.

> No, and no. DVDs are not high-definition, nor are they 480p (which is
> also not high-definition). DVD video is stored in 480i standard
> definition format. It can be deinterlaced to 480p enhanced defintion
> progressive scan format.
>
> High Definition is either 720p or 1080i.

Good post. I would only add to not buy into an EDTV (Enhanced
Definition, ie. 480p) despite the cheaper costs. there's basically no
point in it. Either go cheap and buy a SDTV (Standard Def'n) or pay
for the HDTV (720p). I noticed that the 1080p Samsung DLPs are hitting
the market now. I'm not sure if 27" (CRT?) are out or even if they
would come out as I'm not sure if people would pay for the upgrade in
image quality at 27".

-goro-

kaboom 07-16-2005 09:35 PM

On 15 Jul 2005 20:05:55 -0700, "Goro" <evilninjax@yahoo.com> wrote:

>Joshua Zyber wrote:
>> "Aphelion" <sonship@twcny.rr.com> wrote in message
>> >
>> > DVDs are HD... except you won't experience it unless you get an HDTV.
>> > DVDs are currently produced for a resolution called 480p.

>> No, and no. DVDs are not high-definition, nor are they 480p (which is
>> also not high-definition). DVD video is stored in 480i standard
>> definition format. It can be deinterlaced to 480p enhanced defintion
>> progressive scan format.
>>
>> High Definition is either 720p or 1080i.

>Good post. I would only add to not buy into an EDTV (Enhanced
>Definition, ie. 480p) despite the cheaper costs. there's basically no
>point in it. Either go cheap and buy a SDTV (Standard Def'n) or pay
>for the HDTV (720p). I noticed that the 1080p Samsung DLPs are hitting
>the market now. I'm not sure if 27" (CRT?) are out or even if they
>would come out as I'm not sure if people would pay for the upgrade in
>image quality at 27".

**I would. I have a 25" 10yr old Samsung CRT now. I've been thinking
about upgrading while keeping in mind that it's going into a smaller,
oddly shaped room. All of the smaller sets (25", 27" etc) seem to be
your garden-variety cheapo CRTs. And don't get me started on the fact
that *everything* is SILVER these days. Sheesh. Ugly! My hope is that
manufacturers will start delivering smaller TVs, with all the bells
and whistles of the big ones, relatively soon.

My elderly Samsung still has a great picture and is perfect for the
size of the room. But I wouldn't at all mind having an upgraded
picture in a 27" or, in my case, I might go a bit larger. I'd put out
the cash for sure. I do have a bit of room to play with.

I was talking with a friend of mine, a tech at Tweeter, he mainly
repairs all different types of TV sets. I asked him what he thought
was better: plasma or LCD. I told him that I also played video games
and was concerned about burn-in and such. He said that if he had a
choice, he wouldn't pick either though they're both very nice. He'd
pick a DLP set, he mentioned a Samsung because I guess that's what was
just beginning to hit the market then. I had never heard of DLP at
that point.

I've started doing a little bit of research but until the set sizes
come down a bit, I think I'll remain in a holding pattern. As
confusing as the amount of options TV buyers have these days, I think
it's pretty damn cool how far along we've come in TV technology.

kaboomie

Goro 07-17-2005 02:02 AM

kaboom wrote:
> On 15 Jul 2005 20:05:55 -0700, "Goro" <evilninjax@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> >Joshua Zyber wrote:
> >> "Aphelion" <sonship@twcny.rr.com> wrote in message

> >> No, and no. DVDs are not high-definition, nor are they 480p (which is
> >> also not high-definition). DVD video is stored in 480i standard
> >> definition format. It can be deinterlaced to 480p enhanced defintion
> >> progressive scan format.
> >>
> >> High Definition is either 720p or 1080i.

> >Good post. I would only add to not buy into an EDTV (Enhanced
> >Definition, ie. 480p) despite the cheaper costs. there's basically no
> >point in it. Either go cheap and buy a SDTV (Standard Def'n) or pay
> >for the HDTV (720p). I noticed that the 1080p Samsung DLPs are hitting
> >the market now. I'm not sure if 27" (CRT?) are out or even if they
> >would come out as I'm not sure if people would pay for the upgrade in
> >image quality at 27".

> **I would. I have a 25" 10yr old Samsung CRT now. I've been thinking
> about upgrading while keeping in mind that it's going into a smaller,
> oddly shaped room. All of the smaller sets (25", 27" etc) seem to be
> your garden-variety cheapo CRTs. And don't get me started on the fact
> that *everything* is SILVER these days. Sheesh. Ugly! My hope is that
> manufacturers will start delivering smaller TVs, with all the bells
> and whistles of the big ones, relatively soon.

well, actually i guess i phrased my question a bit oddly. I meant I
wonder if you'd spend an extra (say) $500 for a 1080p 27" tv vs a 720p
27" tv.

> My elderly Samsung still has a great picture and is perfect for the
> size of the room. But I wouldn't at all mind having an upgraded
> picture in a 27" or, in my case, I might go a bit larger. I'd put out
> the cash for sure. I do have a bit of room to play with.
>
> I was talking with a friend of mine, a tech at Tweeter, he mainly
> repairs all different types of TV sets. I asked him what he thought
> was better: plasma or LCD. I told him that I also played video games
> and was concerned about burn-in and such. He said that if he had a
> choice, he wouldn't pick either though they're both very nice. He'd
> pick a DLP set, he mentioned a Samsung because I guess that's what was
> just beginning to hit the market then. I had never heard of DLP at
> that point.

Samsung is really the king of the DLP hill. But i wil say this, i
still prefer the picture quality of a nice tube v.
DLP/LCD/Plasma/LCoS/... But 50" DLP vs. 32" tube? yeag, i'll keep my
DLP...

-goro-

Doonie 07-17-2005 03:20 PM

On 15 Jul 2005 15:47:35 -0700, colin wrote:

>Hi,
>I'm shopping for a new 27" tv, and am a bit confused. Do I need to care
>about advertised lines of resolution of a tv for watching dvds? Will it
>make a difference? Aside from how it looks in the store (often lousy,
>with cables split a million times) is there anything else to look for?
>
>I won't be using it to display hdtv content - just dvds.

Make sure you get one with 16:9 mode.

kaboom 07-17-2005 11:06 PM

On 16 Jul 2005 19:02:02 -0700, "Goro" <evilninjax@yahoo.com> wrote:

>kaboom wrote:

>> **I would. I have a 25" 10yr old Samsung CRT now. I've been thinking
>> about upgrading while keeping in mind that it's going into a smaller,
>> oddly shaped room. All of the smaller sets (25", 27" etc) seem to be
>> your garden-variety cheapo CRTs. And don't get me started on the fact
>> that *everything* is SILVER these days. Sheesh. Ugly! My hope is that
>> manufacturers will start delivering smaller TVs, with all the bells
>> and whistles of the big ones, relatively soon.

>well, actually i guess i phrased my question a bit oddly. I meant I
>wonder if you'd spend an extra (say) $500 for a 1080p 27" tv vs a 720p
>27" tv.

**Ahh, okay. At this point, I'd have to be in stores, comparing and
contrasting to see just what I would pay.

>> I was talking with a friend of mine, a tech at Tweeter, he mainly
>> repairs all different types of TV sets. I asked him what he thought
>> was better: plasma or LCD. I told him that I also played video games
>> and was concerned about burn-in and such. He said that if he had a
>> choice, he wouldn't pick either though they're both very nice. He'd
>> pick a DLP set, he mentioned a Samsung because I guess that's what was
>> just beginning to hit the market then. I had never heard of DLP at
>> that point.

>Samsung is really the king of the DLP hill. But i wil say this, i
>still prefer the picture quality of a nice tube v.
>DLP/LCD/Plasma/LCoS/... But 50" DLP vs. 32" tube? yeag, i'll keep my
>DLP...

**You know, I told him that I preferred a CRT to what I've seen. He
was adamant in that it was a dead technology (or at least one foot in
the grave and the other on a banana peel). We started arguing about
the merits of different types of tech. He got into it on such a
technological level that I couldn't keep up. Well, anyway, if I had to
choose between a 50" DLP or a 32" CRT, I'd jump on the DLP, too :)

kaboomie

Goro 07-17-2005 11:38 PM

Re: Help choose a 27" TV. Line of resolution matter?

kaboom wrote:
*snip*
> >Samsung is really the king of the DLP hill. But i wil say this, i
> >still prefer the picture quality of a nice tube v.
> >DLP/LCD/Plasma/LCoS/... But 50" DLP vs. 32" tube? yeag, i'll keep my
> >DLP...

> **You know, I told him that I preferred a CRT to what I've seen. He
> was adamant in that it was a dead technology (or at least one foot in
> the grave and the other on a banana peel). We started arguing about
> the merits of different types of tech. He got into it on such a
> technological level that I couldn't keep up. Well, anyway, if I had to
> choose between a 50" DLP or a 32" CRT, I'd jump on the DLP, too :)
>
> kaboomie

DLP still has some problems, most notably the tendency for the whites
to saturate. Disregarding size, I'd pick CRT over anything else. Dead
tech? likely, but not b/c others LOOK better (i think), but rather b/c
of convenience (size/weight/depth) and price.

i have a 32" WEga in the bedroom and really, it still looks good.

-goro-

kaboom 07-17-2005 11:58 PM

On 17 Jul 2005 16:38:10 -0700, "Goro" <evilninjax@yahoo.com> wrote:

>DLP still has some problems, most notably the tendency for the whites
>to saturate. Disregarding size, I'd pick CRT over anything else. Dead
>tech? likely, but not b/c others LOOK better (i think), but rather b/c
>of convenience (size/weight/depth) and price.
>
>i have a 32" WEga in the bedroom and really, it still looks good.

**Do you have any thoughts on what are quality brands these days?
Personal faves?

kaboomie