Velocity Reviews

-   -   Blu-Ray v. HD-DVD (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t273060-blu-ray-v-hd-dvd.html)

07-14-2005 03:30 PM

Blu-Ray v. HD-DVD

It isn't really a question of which one is cheaper to manufacture. Both
formats will be cheap enough. The real question is, what will be the impact
on the factory cost of new DVD players--players that have to handle DVD's as
well as Blue-Ray. Consider the range of formats facing the consumer
today--without Blu-Ray:

DVD
DVD-R
DVD-RW
DVD+R
DVD+RW
DVD-RAM
CD
CD-R
CD-RW

And all these formats filled with mp3, wma, or other audio protocols. And
let's not forget JPEG, Kodak Picture CD, mpeg4. Have I forgotten any?

Norm Strong

Tarkus 07-14-2005 03:53 PM

Re: Blu-Ray v. HD-DVD

On 7/14/2005 8:30:45 AM, normanstrong@comcast.net wrote:

> It isn't really a question of which one is cheaper to manufacture. Both
> formats will be cheap enough. The real question is, what will be the impact
> on the factory cost of new DVD players--players that have to handle DVD's as
> well as Blue-Ray. Consider the range of formats facing the consumer
> today--without Blu-Ray:
>
> DVD
> DVD-R
> DVD-RW
> DVD+R
> DVD+RW
> DVD-RAM
> CD
> CD-R
> CD-RW
>
> And all these formats filled with mp3, wma, or other audio protocols. And
> let's not forget JPEG, Kodak Picture CD, mpeg4. Have I forgotten any?

DivX.
--
"I'm your huckleberry."

Now playing: the radio.

07-14-2005 04:09 PM

Re: Blu-Ray v. HD-DVD

"Tarkus" <karnevil9@beer.com> wrote in message
> On 7/14/2005 8:30:45 AM, normanstrong@comcast.net wrote:
>
>> It isn't really a question of which one is cheaper to manufacture. Both
>> formats will be cheap enough. The real question is, what will be the
>> impact
>> on the factory cost of new DVD players--players that have to handle DVD's
>> as
>> well as Blue-Ray. Consider the range of formats facing the consumer
>> today--without Blu-Ray:
>>
>> DVD
>> DVD-R
>> DVD-RW
>> DVD+R
>> DVD+RW
>> DVD-RAM
>> CD
>> CD-R
>> CD-RW
>>
>> And all these formats filled with mp3, wma, or other audio protocols.
>> And
>> let's not forget JPEG, Kodak Picture CD, mpeg4. Have I forgotten any?

> DivX.

Of course! Strangely enough, I just bought a Lite-On recorder that will do
all the above except DVD-RAM. It also plays VCD and SVCD and has a big hard
drive. I was skeptical about the recordable DVDs with audio files, so I
made a DVD+RW disc with WMA VBR files at the highest compression rate
offered by dbpoweramp. Not only did the Lite-On play them, but they didn't
sound too bad. A rough calculation showed that I could put 260 hours of
music on one disc using this type of compression!

Norm Strong

GMAN 07-15-2005 06:39 AM

Re: Blu-Ray v. HD-DVD

In article <aqWdnaTaQYK4GEvfRVn-2g@comcast.com>, <normanstrong@comcast.net> wrote:
>It isn't really a question of which one is cheaper to manufacture. Both
>formats will be cheap enough. The real question is, what will be the impact
>on the factory cost of new DVD players--players that have to handle DVD's as
>well as Blue-Ray. Consider the range of formats facing the consumer
>today--without Blu-Ray:
>
>DVD
>DVD-R
>DVD-RW
>DVD+R
>DVD+RW
>DVD-RAM
>CD
>CD-R
>CD-RW

Making a player today that is capable of playing all those is trivial and can
be done on the cheap. You already can go to walmart or best buy and get $29
players that almost cook your breakfast.

SO adding playback of those formats in a Blu Ray or HD DVD player should be
trivial

GMAN 07-15-2005 06:40 AM

Re: Blu-Ray v. HD-DVD

In article <fawq7d316ya7.dlg@tarkus.karnevil9.com>, 050516.tarkus.karnevil9@xoxy.net wrote:
>On 7/14/2005 8:30:45 AM, normanstrong@comcast.net wrote:
>
>> It isn't really a question of which one is cheaper to manufacture. Both
>> formats will be cheap enough. The real question is, what will be the impact
>> on the factory cost of new DVD players--players that have to handle DVD's as
>> well as Blue-Ray. Consider the range of formats facing the consumer
>> today--without Blu-Ray:
>>
>> DVD
>> DVD-R
>> DVD-RW
>> DVD+R
>> DVD+RW
>> DVD-RAM
>> CD
>> CD-R
>> CD-RW
>>
>> And all these formats filled with mp3, wma, or other audio protocols. And
>> let's not forget JPEG, Kodak Picture CD, mpeg4. Have I forgotten any?

>DivX.

Why support a hack format?

Brent Geery 07-15-2005 07:57 AM

Re: Blu-Ray v. HD-DVD

On Fri, 15 Jul 2005 06:40:19 GMT, glenzabr@xmission.com (GMAN)
wrote:

> In article <fawq7d316ya7.dlg@tarkus.karnevil9.com>, 050516.tarkus.karnevil9@xoxy.net wrote:
> >On 7/14/2005 8:30:45 AM, normanstrong@comcast.net wrote:
> >
> >> It isn't really a question of which one is cheaper to manufacture. Both
> >> formats will be cheap enough. The real question is, what will be the impact
> >> on the factory cost of new DVD players--players that have to handle DVD's as
> >> well as Blue-Ray. Consider the range of formats facing the consumer
> >> today--without Blu-Ray:
> >>
> >> DVD
> >> DVD-R
> >> DVD-RW
> >> DVD+R
> >> DVD+RW
> >> DVD-RAM
> >> CD
> >> CD-R
> >> CD-RW
> >>
> >> And all these formats filled with mp3, wma, or other audio protocols. And
> >> let's not forget JPEG, Kodak Picture CD, mpeg4. Have I forgotten any?

> >DivX.

> Why support a hack format?

You must be new to DVD.

DIVX was pay-per-view DVD based format from Circuit City and was
a real threat to the open DVD standard in the early years of the
format. It died, and as a joke, the hackers took the name
"DivX ;-)" as a joke to name their new beta version MPEG4 based
video compression format.

--
BRENT - The Usenet typo king. :)

Tarkus 07-15-2005 03:52 PM

Re: Blu-Ray v. HD-DVD

On 7/14/2005 11:40:19 PM, GMAN wrote:

> In article <fawq7d316ya7.dlg@tarkus.karnevil9.com>, 050516.tarkus.karnevil9@xoxy.net wrote:
>>On 7/14/2005 8:30:45 AM, normanstrong@comcast.net wrote:
>>
>>> It isn't really a question of which one is cheaper to manufacture.
>>> Both formats will be cheap enough. The real question is, what will
>>> be the impact on the factory cost of new DVD players--players that
>>> have to handle DVD's as well as Blue-Ray. Consider the range of
>>> formats facing the consumer today--without Blu-Ray:
>>>
>>> DVD
>>> DVD-R
>>> DVD-RW
>>> DVD+R
>>> DVD+RW
>>> DVD-RAM
>>> CD
>>> CD-R
>>> CD-RW
>>>
>>> And all these formats filled with mp3, wma, or other audio protocols.
>>> And let's not forget JPEG, Kodak Picture CD, mpeg4. Have I
>>> forgotten any?

>>DivX.

> Why support a hack format?

Because said hack format is incredibly popular. The idea is to serve the
customer, not to tell the customer what they should and shouldn't like.
Alas, a lot of players already support the DivX format.

A better question is, why do you care that it's a hacked format? Either
it's a good codec or it's not. Who gives a **** how it got to be good?
--
"I was thinkin', I'm gonna take me some of these taters home with me."

Now playing: the radio.

Tarkus 07-15-2005 03:54 PM

Re: Blu-Ray v. HD-DVD

On 7/15/2005 12:57:19 AM, Brent Geery wrote:

> On Fri, 15 Jul 2005 06:40:19 GMT, glenzabr@xmission.com (GMAN)
> wrote:

>>>DivX.

>> Why support a hack format?

> You must be new to DVD.
>
> DIVX was pay-per-view DVD based format from Circuit City and was
> a real threat to the open DVD standard in the early years of the
> format. It died, and as a joke, the hackers took the name
> "DivX ;-)" as a joke to name their new beta version MPEG4 based
> video compression format.

Oh, it never occurred to me that he might be talking about THAT.
If that's the case, disregard my previous reply. ;)
--
"This is Klahn's bodyguard - he is tough and ruthless.
This is Klahn's chauffeur - he is rough and toothless."

Now playing: the radio.

GMAN 07-15-2005 10:22 PM

Re: Blu-Ray v. HD-DVD

In article <anqed15cdjsbn9k2rkeq5chsha2ohgvn9a@4ax.com>, foo@bar.com wrote:
>On Fri, 15 Jul 2005 06:40:19 GMT, glenzabr@xmission.com (GMAN)
>wrote:
>
>> In article <fawq7d316ya7.dlg@tarkus.karnevil9.com>,

> 050516.tarkus.karnevil9@xoxy.net wrote:

> impact

> as

>> >DivX.

>> Why support a hack format?

>You must be new to DVD.
>
>DIVX was pay-per-view DVD based format from Circuit City and was
>a real threat to the open DVD standard in the early years of the
>format. It died, and as a joke, the hackers took the name
>"DivX ;-)" as a joke to name their new beta version MPEG4 based
>video compression format.

What in my post that it was a hack format made you think i was talking about
the Circuit Shitty DIVX?

It was NEVER a real threat since it was always a full screen rental format.
Anyone serious about movies or OAR didnt buy into it.

Support for mpeg4 would be ok since that is a published standard, DivX is not.

GMAN 07-15-2005 10:24 PM

Re: Blu-Ray v. HD-DVD

In article <109mycljk83j5$.dlg@tarkus.karnevil9.com>, 050516.tarkus.karnevil9@xoxy.net wrote:
>On 7/14/2005 11:40:19 PM, GMAN wrote:
>
>> In article <fawq7d316ya7.dlg@tarkus.karnevil9.com>,

> 050516.tarkus.karnevil9@xoxy.net wrote:

>>>DivX.

>> Why support a hack format?

>Because said hack format is incredibly popular. The idea is to serve the
>customer, not to tell the customer what they should and shouldn't like.
>Alas, a lot of players already support the DivX format.
>
>A better question is, why do you care that it's a hacked format? Either
>it's a good codec or it's not. Who gives a **** how it got to be good?

I dont care, but i bet the ones who own the rights and license to the mpeg4
format sure do. DivX is pirated code.