Velocity Reviews

-   -   Jewel case templates (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t272979-jewel-case-templates.html)

Husky 07-03-2005 09:44 PM

Jewel case templates

I've tried several different programs that have jewel case templates, and
everyone of them throws a monkey wrench in the finished product.

Nero, Design Pro 5, Word 2000 <-possibly the worst.

All this just for a stiff sheet of paper to hold some text, and maybe an image.
The image is where things go south.

The template forms are just right for the size of the disk 5 inches. But when
you fire up the form, the 5 in. outline is nowhere to be seen. And that makes
it all guess work as to where the bottom of the circle is and the top. So far
out of maybe 15 tries, I haven't come close even once.

Is there a program and a template, for jewel cases that take the guess work out
of where to place the text and images ?

Billy Joe 07-03-2005 10:29 PM

Re: Jewel case templates

> I've tried several different programs that have jewel case
> templates, and everyone of them throws a monkey wrench in the
> finished product.
>
> Nero, Design Pro 5, Word 2000 <-possibly the worst.
>
> All this just for a stiff sheet of paper to hold some text,
> and maybe an image. The image is where things go south.
>
> The template forms are just right for the size of the disk 5
> inches. But when you fire up the form, the 5 in. outline is
> nowhere to be seen. And that makes it all guess work as to
> where the bottom of the circle is and the top. So far out of
> maybe 15 tries, I haven't come close even once.
>
> Is there a program and a template, for jewel cases that take
> the guess work out of where to place the text and images ?

Consider these two products:

IrfanView & Word. Both produce mm accurate dimensions.

If you don't have Word available, another graphic word processor may do, or
simply use IrfanView all by itself - it only lacks page-edge alignment and
two up printing, which is why a graphic word processor helps.

In IrfanView you'd use the Image/Resize selection; choose inches or
centimeters and set one dimension (I almost always have "preserve aspect"
checked) BTW, it's advisable to increase the DPI to something close to your
printer's capability, if your source material is of lower DPI).

Once you've done that, and if you're transporting to Word (for example) just
Ctrl-C and Shift-Ins in the table entry for Word. The Word table would be
set to two up on a horizontal page, and the table cells would be fixed in
size (I use 4.75^2 but it sounds like you'd prefer 5.00^2). Leave table
outline enabled.

An Exacto knife is indispensable!!

BJ

Miles Ahead 07-03-2005 10:59 PM

Re: Jewel case templates

On Sun, 03 Jul 2005 17:44:56 -0400, Husky <cbminfo@toast.net> wrote:

http://www.cd-cover-editor.com/

There's a free trial to check it out. I've been using the free version
2.0 for years.

Husky 07-03-2005 11:34 PM

Re: Jewel case templates

On Sun, 3 Jul 2005 15:29:24 -0700, "Billy Joe" <see.id.line@invalid.org> wrote:

I think the IV idea gives me an idea, but I think I've already gone that route.
Scan one of the forms into Photoshop and go from there.

But IIRC the forms cut lines couldn't be seen once scanned. Hmm is that what a
pencils for maybe ? Why not... Can't ruin the forms anymore than they are
already.

Billy Joe 07-04-2005 12:17 AM

Re: Jewel case templates

> On Sun, 3 Jul 2005 15:29:24 -0700, "Billy Joe"
> <see.id.line@invalid.org> wrote:
>
> I think the IV idea gives me an idea, but I think I've
> already gone that route. Scan one of the forms into Photoshop
> and go from there.
>
> But IIRC the forms cut lines couldn't be seen once scanned.
> Hmm is that what a pencils for maybe ? Why not... Can't ruin
> the forms anymore than they are already.

<snip>

It's not the scanned form's cut lines which you care about - rather the
template's cut lines.

If you stick with IV (IrfanView for late comers) exclusively, you could
create a blank form of the proper size, cut/crop/copy a source pic BUT
before inserting into the new form outline the blank - then paste. IV will
scale source to target accordingly. (this is essentially what you'd get
from a decent graphic-W.P. program as well). If you do not perform the
outline step, IV will merely "replace" the template with the copy!

Finally, before printing this image, be sure to resize the image (even if
the dimensions remain the same) to a DPI of commensurate value.

If you can not get IV to print cut lines for you, use a cutout template from
a pack of inserts to guide the Exacto.

BJ

Husky 07-04-2005 12:03 PM

Re: Jewel case templates

On Sun, 3 Jul 2005 17:17:03 -0700, "Billy Joe" <see.id.line@invalid.org> wrote:

>> On Sun, 3 Jul 2005 15:29:24 -0700, "Billy Joe"
>> <see.id.line@invalid.org> wrote:
>>
>> I think the IV idea gives me an idea, but I think I've
>> already gone that route. Scan one of the forms into Photoshop
>> and go from there.
>>
>> But IIRC the forms cut lines couldn't be seen once scanned.
>> Hmm is that what a pencils for maybe ? Why not... Can't ruin
>> the forms anymore than they are already.
>>

><snip>
>
>It's not the scanned form's cut lines which you care about - rather the
>template's cut lines.
>
>If you stick with IV (IrfanView for late comers) exclusively, you could
>create a blank form of the proper size, cut/crop/copy a source pic BUT
>before inserting into the new form outline the blank - then paste. IV will
>scale source to target accordingly. (this is essentially what you'd get
>from a decent graphic-W.P. program as well). If you do not perform the
>outline step, IV will merely "replace" the template with the copy!
>
>Finally, before printing this image, be sure to resize the image (even if
>the dimensions remain the same) to a DPI of commensurate value.
>
>If you can not get IV to print cut lines for you, use a cutout template from
>a pack of inserts to guide the Exacto.
>
>BJ

The PS Idea worked fine. I drew the lines on a form, scanned it into PS.
Darkened the guide lines on a new layer, deleted the background layer, and now
have it just fine.
Maybe a whole five minute job. Where I've been wrestling for a week with
different template software supposedly designed specifically for this purpose
to do this. Guess if the import option exists in the software designed for it,
I could go that route.