Velocity Reviews

-   -   DUNE - What happened? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t272762-dune-what-happened.html)

Barf 06-04-2005 07:09 AM

DUNE - What happened?

What happened to the Dune release? I was waiting for it (even bought
some brown sugar cinnamon Pop-Tarts) to come out.

What happened THIS time so we have to wait another few months?

Joshua Zyber 06-04-2005 11:42 AM

Re: DUNE - What happened?

"Barf" <Mawgman@aol.com> wrote in message
> What happened to the Dune release? I was waiting for it (even bought
> some brown sugar cinnamon Pop-Tarts) to come out.
>
> What happened THIS time so we have to wait another few months?

It's been delayed. No explanation given.

Don't believe any rumors Digital Bits may spread that David Lynch wanted
to restore the movie. He is not and has never been interested in
revisting the film.

TB 06-05-2005 01:06 AM

Re: DUNE - What happened?

"(PeteCresswell)" wrote:

> Per Barf:
>>What happened to the Dune release?

> Could somebody elaborate?
>
> Longer version?

Supposedly, a new dvd set probably running 3 discs is being produced for a
late '05 release with or without Lynch's input depending on who you believe.
The set would have both the theatrical version and the longer of the two
extended "TV" cuts that I believe was broadcast on the Sci-Fi channel years
ago (that Lynch hated and wouldn't allow his name to be used in the credits
as director) which would probably have all the unfinished effects completed
and probably include even more scenes than the extended cut had.

FWIW, "Dune" has been officially released in both versions on dvd with the
extended cut being the 80's tv version in Japan and Europe but both sets are
fairly mediocre coming from video, not film sources and in the European
version, I don't think it's even in stereo.

T.B.

(PeteCresswell) 06-05-2005 02:17 AM

Re: DUNE - What happened?

Per Barf:

--
PeteCresswell

Bob 06-05-2005 01:56 PM

Re: DUNE - What happened?

On Sun, 05 Jun 2005 01:06:49 GMT, "TB" <partyslammer@socal.rr.com>
wrote:

>>>What happened to the Dune release?

>> Could somebody elaborate?

>> Longer version?

>Supposedly, a new dvd set probably running 3 discs is being produced for a
>late '05 release with or without Lynch's input depending on who you believe.
>The set would have both the theatrical version and the longer of the two
>extended "TV" cuts that I believe was broadcast on the Sci-Fi channel years
>ago (that Lynch hated and wouldn't allow his name to be used in the credits
>as director) which would probably have all the unfinished effects completed
>and probably include even more scenes than the extended cut had.

>FWIW, "Dune" has been officially released in both versions on dvd with the
>extended cut being the 80's tv version in Japan and Europe but both sets are
>fairly mediocre coming from video, not film sources and in the European
>version, I don't think it's even in stereo.

Why this fascination with editing Dune? The original is the only one
worth watching - none of the other edits are any good IMO.

TB 06-05-2005 05:21 PM

Re: DUNE - What happened?

"Bob" wrote:

(snip)

> Why this fascination with editing Dune? The original is the only one
> worth watching - none of the other edits are any good IMO.

I disagree. Of course, the movie in any form is far from perfect but I
personally liked most of what is included in the expanded cut(s) of the
movie simply for the sake of elaborating and tying together some key points
lost in the theatrical version.

T.B.

jayembee 06-06-2005 05:38 AM

Re: DUNE - What happened?

spam@spamcop.com (Bob) wrote:

> "TB" <partyslammer@socal.rr.com> wrote:
>
>> The set would have both the theatrical version and the longer of the two
>> extended "TV" cuts that I believe was broadcast on the Sci-Fi channel years
>> ago (that Lynch hated and wouldn't allow his name to be used in the credits
>> as director) [...]

Or as writer.

> Why this fascination with editing Dune? The original is the only one
> worth watching - none of the other edits are any good IMO.

Even the original version is garbage. The longer TV version (of Lynch's film) is
just as bad, except that there's more of it.

-- jayembee

Bob 06-06-2005 02:52 PM

Re: DUNE - What happened?

On Mon, 06 Jun 2005 05:38:19 GMT, jayembee
<jayembeenospam@snurcher.com> wrote:

>Even the original version is garbage.

The critics didn't like it too. But I have watched it at least 20
times over the past 10 years.

There is something about it that I find interesting although I can't
tell you exactly what it is. I suspect it has to do with an advanced
culture existing in the Universe.

Anyway, David Lynch is one of my alltime favorite directors. I have
everyone of his works and watch them from time to time. Each one is
unique, almost redefining a particular genre. For example, Dennis
Hopper and Dean Stockwell in Blue Velvet are quintessential madness
presented in a way I have never seen before.

Lynch's Dune is comic book epic fantasy. I will never forget the scene
where they fold space.

--

Map of the Vast Right Wing Conspiracy
http://home.houston.rr.com/rkba/vrwc.html

"Nothing in the world can take the place of perseverence. Talent
will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent.
Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education
will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and
determination alone are omnipotent."
--Calvin Coolidge

Howard 06-06-2005 11:50 PM

Re: DUNE - What happened?

"(PeteCresswell)" <x@y.z.invalid> wrote in

> Per Bob:
>>The original is the only one
>>worth watching - none of the other edits are any good IMO.

> I've only seen the original, but I saw it after having read the book.
>
> My reaction dismay at how little of the book's story got into the film.
> I'm not even sure I could have followed the story line if I hadn't read
> the book first.
>
> Seemed to me like the movie needed to be one of those 4-5 hour marathons
> where the theater has breaks between sections.

Alas, this theory was killed by the SciFi Channel. It has been said for
years that the book didn't fit into a movie, that it should be a
miniseries.

Turns out that the format really doesn't matter if the book wasn't
understood in the first place.

Bob 06-07-2005 12:36 AM

Re: DUNE - What happened?

On Mon, 06 Jun 2005 19:14:32 -0700, "(PeteCresswell)" <x@y.z.invalid>
wrote:

>My reaction dismay at how little of the book's story got into the film.

I am one of those who did not read the book. My son read it after
seeing Lynch's film.

Both of us like the film.