Velocity Reviews

-   -   DVD Verdict reviews: OUT OF REACH, CANDY LAND: THE GREAT LOLLIPOP ADVENTURE, and more! (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t272373-dvd-verdict-reviews-out-of-reach-candy-land-the-great-lollipop-adventure-and-more.html)

DVD Verdict 04-15-2005 08:10 AM

DVD Verdict reviews: OUT OF REACH, CANDY LAND: THE GREAT LOLLIPOP ADVENTURE, and more!

Today, DVD Verdict posted reviews of BULGARIAN LOVERS, CANDY LAND: THE
GREAT LOLLIPOP ADVENTURE, COMBINATION PLATTER, DUNSMORE, GAS, LOOK WHO'S
TALKING DVD COLLECTION, OUT OF REACH, and POTLUCK:

BULGARIAN LOVERS (reviewed by George Hatch, overall score 65/100):
"Bulgarian Lovers plays out like one of those novels in which the first
chapter is written by a popular crime writer, who then passes it along
to others, each of whom has to extend the initial idea and add a new
element in his or her chapter."

FULL REVIEW: http://www.dvdverdict.com/reviews/bulgarianlovers.php

CANDY LAND: THE GREAT LOLLIPOP ADVENTURE (reviewed by Lacey Worrell,
overall score 65/100):
"Fortunately, there is nothing so offensive that an adult can't leave
the room for a few minutes to do some dishes or vacuum -- which, let's
face it, is the central benefit of parking the kids in front of the
television for an hour."

FULL REVIEW: http://www.dvdverdict.com/reviews/candylandlollipop.php

COMBINATION PLATTER (reviewed by Dan Mancini, overall score 73/100):
"Chan tries to walk the fine line between witty, stylized dialogue and
closely-observed naturalism, but frequently fails. Where he succeeds is
the complexity with which he examines barriers in culture and
communication, and the discomfort people feel in being cut out of
conversations, unable to connect with the people around them in the most
basic way."

FULL REVIEW: http://www.dvdverdict.com/reviews/co...ionplatter.php

DUNSMORE (reviewed by Paul Corupe, overall score 70/100):
"Director Peter Spirer is best known for his hip-hop documentaries,
including Rhyme & Reason, but here he makes a bold foray into the
world of dramatic features with a well-acted, gritty little picture that
turns an eye on small town America to examine the politics of power."

FULL REVIEW: http://www.dvdverdict.com/reviews/dunsmore.php

GAS (reviewed by Dennis Prince, overall score 73/100):
"In the end, it turns to a weird sort of bastardization of The Partridge
Family episode 'Soul Club,' featuring Richard Pryor, Louis Gossett, Jr.,
and a poorly lip-synched performance atop a makeshift stage. Eccch!"

FULL REVIEW: http://www.dvdverdict.com/reviews/gas.php

LOOK WHO'S TALKING DVD COLLECTION (reviewed by David Johnson, overall
score 73/100):
"The first one's good, the second one's kind of good, the last one
blows. And they're not even entirely kid-friendly!"

FULL REVIEW: http://www.dvdverdict.com/reviews/lookwhostalking.php

OUT OF REACH (reviewed by Mitchell Hattaway, overall score 35/100):
"I never thought I would live to see such a time, but it actually
happened: I had some trouble following the plot of a Steven Seagal
movie. I'm pretty sure I know what was happening in Mulholland Drive,
and I had The Usual Suspects figured out about halfway through, but I'm
a little fuzzy on some of the things going on in Out of Reach."

FULL REVIEW: http://www.dvdverdict.com/reviews/outreach.php

POTLUCK (reviewed by Maurice Cobbs, overall score 38/100):
"The result is the sort of mess you might well expect a bunch of stoners
to come up with; it's contrived, with the thinnest of possible plots,
badly acted, and silly. Granted, this does not really distinguish
Potluck from the majority of crap foisted on the moviegoing public, but
at least the Hollywood machine tries to make stuff that looks pretty."

FULL REVIEW: http://www.dvdverdict.com/reviews/potluck.php

Mike Jackson
Editor & Webmaster, DVD Verdict
www.dvdverdict.com