Velocity Reviews

-   -   does HD-DVD use red-laser or blue-laser ? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t272368-does-hd-dvd-use-red-laser-or-blue-laser.html)

videogamedude@gmail.com 04-15-2005 02:16 AM

does HD-DVD use red-laser or blue-laser ?

I don't mean any HD-DVD, I mean *the* HD-DVD format, by NEC, Toshiba
(and Microsoft?) the main competitor to Blu-Ray.

does HD-DVD use red laser or does it use blue laser ? obviously the
'Blu-Ray' format uses blue laser / blue light laser. etc.

also, I read somewhere that, blue laser systems have been demoed at CES
for the last 5 years.

can anyone tell me about the different then-emerging High-Definition
DVD formats (not specifically HD-DVD) that were proposed, shown,
developed, etc. say between 1995-96 (when DVD came out) and 2002,
before HD-DVD and Blu-Ray emerged as the two standards ? it seems
that Blu-Ray was announced in early 2002. but as I said, there were
various blue-laser systems being proposed/shown before Blu-Ray came
about.

I also remember that in 1994-1995, there were two competing DVD
formats, that eventually merged.

finally, in general, tell me if I have this straight. the CD / Compact
Disc, was patented in the mid 1960s, developed in the early 1970s,
became available to consumers in the early 1980s.

the Video CD (MPEG-1) was developed in the mid 1980s. DVD I am
guessing was developed in the late 1980s, if not the early 1990s. then
the various high-definition DVD formats were being developed in the mid
to late 1990s, and started to emerge in the early part of this
decade, becoming avaliable to consumers in the middle part of this
decade (HD-DVD, Blu-Ray) .....

Alpha 04-15-2005 03:12 AM

Re: does HD-DVD use red-laser or blue-laser ?

They both use blue wavelength lasers.

Black Locust 04-15-2005 06:01 AM

Re: does HD-DVD use red-laser or blue-laser ?

Also, please tell me Sony isn't going to call this format "Blu-Ray"? Ok,
so we have CD, DVD, VHS and... Blu-Ray?! How the **** is the average Joe
even supposed to know what that is? HD-DVD works fine and is about as
accurate a name as you can give the format, but Sony better think of a
better name for their disc before they put it on store shelves...

Alpha 04-15-2005 06:32 AM

Re: does HD-DVD use red-laser or blue-laser ?

Come on....its very sci-fi .....Blu RAY....

chrisv 04-15-2005 01:43 PM

videogamedude@gmail.com wrote:

>I don't mean any HD-DVD, I mean *the* HD-DVD format, by NEC, Toshiba
>(and Microsoft?) the main competitor to Blu-Ray.

Of course blue. The reason for the "color"is that blue has a short
wavelength, relative to the rest of the visible spectrum, so it
suffers less from diffraction effects, so it can resolve smaller
details. Red, which is at the long-wavelength end of the visible
spectrum, would going the wrong way.

Ever wonder why the most powerful microscopes use X-rays? Same reason
- the much-shorter wavelength, compared with visible light, allows
much-smaller details to be resolved.

Alan Figgatt 04-15-2005 02:02 PM

Black Locust wrote:
> Also, please tell me Sony isn't going to call this format "Blu-Ray"? Ok,
> so we have CD, DVD, VHS and... Blu-Ray?! How the **** is the average Joe
> even supposed to know what that is? HD-DVD works fine and is about as
> accurate a name as you can give the format, but Sony better think of a
> better name for their disc before they put it on store shelves...

A large part of the reason that Sony is not using DVD in their product
name is that if they used DVD, they would have to pay royalties to the
companies that own parts of the DVD copyrights. Blu-Ray is a technically
superior standard to HD-DVD - higher storage capacity, easier to
implement recordable and rewritable disks due to 0.1 mm layer depth as
opposed to DVD's 0.8 mm - but is also different enough in design so the
Blu-Ray companies don't pay as much in royalties to NEC & Toshiba
(backers of HD-DVD - no surprise there) for Blu-Ray technologies. The
drawback to Blu-Ray from the manufacturing side is that it will cost
more to convert plants to producing Blu-Ray disks than HD-DVD. The
consumer will have to buy new players for either high def disk format,
most of which will presumably be able to play DVDs, so you will to spend
money either way.

The only good way out of this format war for the consumer that I can
see is if the HD-DVD forum adopts the Blu-Ray technology in return for
Sony dropping the Blu-Ray name & product line. All the major players
would benefit by divvying up the royalties and increased sales due to a
single format.

Alan F

videogamedude@gmail.com 04-15-2005 02:56 PM

Re: does HD-DVD use red-laser or blue-laser ?

yep, I do realize blue laser is much superior to red laser. I asked
the question because, I *thought* I had read somewhere that HD-DVD (aka
AOD or Advanced Optical Disc) by Toshiba and NEC used the same red
laser that current DVD used, and that's why HD-DVD players could play
standard DVDs out of the box. my former belief that AOD / HD-DVD used
red-laser was more solidified because I kept hearing that AOD / HD-DVD
was inferior to Blu-Ray.

I *now* realize that HD-DVD does not use red laser, but in fact, blue
laser, like Blu Ray, even though Blu Ray is still superior in most if
not all ways compared to AOD / HD-DVD.

Bill Vermillion 04-15-2005 03:05 PM

Re: does HD-DVD use red-laser or blue-laser ?

In article <bl2112-DE523D.00013515042005@news.uswest.net>,
Black Locust <bl2112@hotmail.com> wrote:
>Also, please tell me Sony isn't going to call this format "Blu-Ray"? Ok,
>so we have CD, DVD, VHS and... Blu-Ray?! How the **** is the average Joe
>even supposed to know what that is? HD-DVD works fine and is about as
>accurate a name as you can give the format, but Sony better think of a
>better name for their disc before they put it on store shelves...

Sony is not the only company using the Blu-Ray standard. And
there are several companies using the HD-DVD standard, which are
just two of at least five standards for high-definition on DVD type
devices.

In China there are three standards competing to be the
next-generation DVD. EVD [Enhanced Versatile Disc], HDV
[High-Definition Video], and HVD [ High-Definition Versatile
Disc].

If you think people would be confused by HD-DVD vs Blu-Ray
imagine trying to keep HDV and HVD straight - and what about those
who make typos.

Then the Industrial Technical Research Institute in Tawain which
developed HD-DVD has also introduced FDV [Forward Versatile Disc]

So there are give standards for high-definition video disks.
It looks like it will come down to either Blu-Ray or HD-DVD, but
considering the huge population in China one of their standards
could emerge also. 80% of the DVD players in the world are made in
China - and one reason they have for changing the standards is
to avoid the royalties being paid on each DVD player manufactured
which comes to over $10/unit as I recall. That's 1/3 the price
of the lowest priced DVD players seen in the USofA.

I found this [and lots of other developments in the ever changing
world of electronics] at http://neasia.nikkeibp.com which is
NEAsia Online.

As the old saying goes "the nice thing about standards is we have
so many from which to choose".

Bill
--
Bill Vermillion - bv @ wjv . com

Bill Vermillion 04-15-2005 03:25 PM

Re: does HD-DVD use red-laser or blue-laser ?

In article <1113576994.673695.325350@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups .com>,
<videogamedude@gmail.com> wrote:
>yep, I do realize blue laser is much superior to red laser. I asked
>the question because, I *thought* I had read somewhere that HD-DVD (aka
>AOD or Advanced Optical Disc) by Toshiba and NEC used the same red
>laser that current DVD used, and that's why HD-DVD players could play
>standard DVDs out of the box. my former belief that AOD / HD-DVD used
>red-laser was more solidified because I kept hearing that AOD / HD-DVD
>was inferior to Blu-Ray.

As I recall - and can't point you to where I read it at the moment
- even though they both use light in the red area of the spectrum
they are using different frequencies/wave-lengths/lambdas.

>I *now* realize that HD-DVD does not use red laser, but in fact, blue
>laser, like Blu Ray, even though Blu Ray is still superior in most if
>not all ways compared to AOD / HD-DVD.

We shall have to see if the superior format wins - and depending on
which side of the fence you view the arguments either side could be
superior depending upon your needs. One is more extensible - one
if more compatible with current manufacturing modes.

If the bean-counters makes the choices then it would definately be
HD-DVD, but if the engineers made the choices it would probably
be Blu-Ray.

Just as the vastly superior Beta format killed Quasar VX cartridge
tape format [aka The Great Time Machine] and the Sanyo V-Cord,
the much cheaper VHS format eventually did in the Beta in
North America [while it survived as the leader in other parts of
the world for a very long time]. As I recall the VX format went
under first and it's cartridges were HUGE in comparison to all
others. I've only seen the tapes for one but never the machines.

As consumers we are eventually stuck with what choices the money
people make.

Bill

--
Bill Vermillion - bv @ wjv . com

chrisv 04-15-2005 05:24 PM

Bill Vermillion wrote:

>the much cheaper VHS format eventually did in the Beta in
>North America

But was VHS inherantly cheaper to make, or was it because Sony kept
Beta to itself, and kept prices high to make more money?