Velocity Reviews

-   -   PAL players playing NTSC (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t271998-pal-players-playing-ntsc.html)

Dan P. 03-05-2005 02:17 PM

PAL players playing NTSC

Are there any PAL DVD players that play NTSC DVDs as well? Is this pretty
common among PAL DVD players?

Also, does the TV itself have to be NTSC compatible to play NTSC DVDs, or is
ist just the player that is either NTSC or PAL?

Dan

Oldus Fartus 03-05-2005 02:35 PM

Re: PAL players playing NTSC

Dan P. wrote:
> Are there any PAL DVD players that play NTSC DVDs as well? Is this pretty
> common among PAL DVD players?

I have not seen a PAL only DVD player.

> Also, does the TV itself have to be NTSC compatible to play NTSC DVDs, or is
> ist just the player that is either NTSC or PAL?

No. Generally speaking the DVD player can be set to output either PAL
or NTSC, so it does not really matter what the TV is.

--
Cheers
Oldus Fartus

Mr Mathews 03-05-2005 05:19 PM

Re: PAL players playing NTSC

My TV is settp PAL. Though i can play an NTSC dvd just fine? Why i
dont know MAgig i think :0

damnfine 03-05-2005 09:30 PM

Re: PAL players playing NTSC

"Dan P." wrote:
> Are there any PAL DVD players that play NTSC DVDs as well?
> Is this pretty common among PAL DVD players?

Yes, it's absolutely standard.

> Also, does the TV itself have to be NTSC compatible to play NTSC DVDs,

Generally, no. If you set the DVD player to convert NTSC DVDs to PAL, then
it will output PAL60 as opposed to the broadcast standard PAL50 (I think
that's right, in any case it's something like that). This only becomes a
problem, though, if you have an embarassingly old TV set.

--
/^\damnfine/^\

Oldus Fartus 03-06-2005 02:33 AM

Re: PAL players playing NTSC

Mr Mathews wrote:

> My TV is settp PAL. Though i can play an NTSC dvd just fine? Why i
> dont know MAgig i think :0

No magic there! Your player is obviously outputting PAL.

--
Cheers
Oldus Fartus

Mr Mathews 03-06-2005 07:02 AM

Re: PAL players playing NTSC

I guess mine is not old as i thought :)

its one of the first flatscreen. But not flat becuae its curved !!!!

Anthony 03-14-2005 12:18 AM

Re: PAL players playing NTSC

Both my DVD players handle PAL and NTSC discs equally well.
They don't convert NTSC to PAL; both machines (a Panasonic and a
Pioneer) give true NTSC or PAL output. My German Loewe
anamorphically-capable television, which I bought here in Australia,
automatically recognises whether it's receiving a PAL or NTSC
formatted signal, and switches accordingly -- it's a totally invisible
process.